Espana!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Edd7c, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Edd7c

Edd7c New Member

Albums:
    Hey anyone from Spain here? Im going to move there for a year for and intership in phisiotherapy in Barcelona, Who here would give me a tour of the city or some points on where to live and stuff?
    Gracias

2. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Lucky man you are...

3. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

yeah - lucky to be going to Spain as well as for that cock of yours.

4. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm not from spain, and i don't know the city well enough to give you pointers, i will leave that for the locals. As far as i know midlifebear should be a good person to talk to.

But i have to say that i love Barcelona, it is a great city which such an interesting mix of beach, mountains and big city flair. It is culturally exciting with many great places to discover. One advice i want to give to you anyhow, make a trip up north to Figueres and visit the Dali museum, it is really worth it.

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

It all depends on how old you are. If you're really a student, (in your 20s) you'll be able to find affordable digs through the Contemporary School of Modern Art (best cafeteria food in the world, because it's Catalán). Be careful what your phisiotherapy school may recommend for accommodations. There are many private "professional" schools that contract housing with land lords who specialize in cat pee palaces rife with roaches for ridiculous sums of Euros.

One of the big parts of the black market in BCN is renting a room to someone who wants a place to live for a short to medium stay (the length of one or two 90-day visas). These are often good deals. But rent is always in cash and never declared by your "room mate."

It also depends in what part of the city your school is located. If it's in the general vicinity of the city center, start searching for digs in La Gracia. It's a little 13 by 13 block area that was once on the outer western wall of the city, but of course, now it's in the middle of everything. It's directly north of of the first few blocks of Passieg de Gracia -- a famous and very upscale part of town. Lots of peatonales (walking streets), auto traffic is restricted, and it's probably the quietest part of the city.

If your Spanish is excellent, look for room mate wanted flyers taped to all of the street lamps posted in front of coffee shops. It's a good idea to first invest in a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phone and then hit the pavement. And if you're looking for your own, private rental check out the Sants–Montjuïc district which includes: Poble Sec, La Marina, La Font de La Guatlla, La Bordeta, Hostafrancs, Sants, and Badal -- all of which have their own metro station. Most parts of Sants are bit run down, but it is also 100% authentic Barcelona with no pretensions to be touristy. Food is cheap. If cockroaches are not a problem, check around El Raval, It's the old Islamic and Chinese part of the city just south of la Rambla (las Ramblas).

The cheapest place to find a studio apartment will be the Horta-Guinardó district. Tourists never venture there because it's a solid, blue-collar working class part north east part of the city where the streets are so steep a San Francisco cable car wouldn't make it up and down them. Because it is so hilly and steep, it's actually the ONLY place in all of BCN where the population is in decline. If you snag an apartment there, you'll definitely develop great glutes and a fine-looking ass.

In any event, start your search early. It's even worth checking out Craig's list.

If you are not a regular student (as in associated with a government/city/provence supported school) then prices are going to be substantially higher. If you already live in an EU country, it won't be so bad. But if you're arrive from Canada, the USA, Australia, or some other no EU country, be prepared for sticker shock.

As for being straight or gay, there is little caché among straight women in BCN to have an American or UK boyfriend. They tend to be more into Czechs, Hungarians, French, and the wealthier the better. Although I do have some great straight female friends who have taken on brooding Mexicans as husbands and long-term lovers. But if you're gay (which I doubt your are) just about anything can happen regardless of your country of origin. A young man from Salt Lake City, of all places, showed up at le Universitate de Barcelona to earn his EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teaching certificate several years ago. He couch surfed from one instructor to another for several weeks, but always returned to the same place in the Barri Gòtic to have his laundry done. He had started a flirtation with a young man who worked at that particular laundry. Within a month they were living together. Within a year they'd moved to better digs in Toulouse, France; he was then teaching full-time and his new squeeze had opened a little Catalán boite, catering to the café set.

Finally, if you're straight and you happen to be Jewish you're in luck! Just show up at Temple and introduce yourself around. I've never encountered such an open and happy Jewish community anywhere in the world -- and my long time lover prior to my current squeeze was a nice Jewish boy who had escaped his Hassidic Orthodox family in Amsterdam. Gay or straight, one of the many Jewish congregations will undoubtably adopt you and help get you settled in the city. Of course, they may expect you to take on a comely Jewish Princess, but life can always be worse.

Good luck. Just remember to start early (before you arrive in BCN) to look for a place to stay.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    MLB knows his shit: great overview!

All I can add is that there's an old quote (Gertrude stein, maybe?) that "when all good Americans die, they go to Paris". Having spent several months over two visits I disagree: I'm going to Barcelona.

To me it is the most beautiful, romantic place on Earth. I have never been anywhere that struck me with more intense longing to stay.

7. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That quote is older than Gertrude Stein

8. Edd7c

Edd7c New Member

Albums:
    Thnks for all the reponses! its a great oportunity, my mom is from there but got no more relatives there. I'm 23 so yeah ill get the young expiriennce lol

9. Edd7c

Edd7c New Member

Albums:
    thnks man that was very helpfull

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

#10 nudeyorker, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted