Essential Guide to Courting a Male Geek

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

I wish somebody had given me this handy guide years ago. It would have made life so much easier! I think it should be pasted on the wall in every girls bathroom from middle school on up. :cool:

The Essential Guide to Courting a Male Geek
    It seems that recently geek has become chic. While there are many misconceptions and stereotypes that are packaged with the term geek, I have found that when it comes to dating a geeks there are some hurdles in the relationship that could be avoided through understanding of the basic nature of the average geek.

1. Geeks are not renown for their social skills.
    While there are exceptions to every rule, it is common for most geeks to suffer from a bit of social ineptitude. This can be for a variety of reasons however the most common is also the most simple. Geeks are usually late bloomers. Geeks do not always know the proper way to address an awkward social situation and often will fall into idiosyncratic defense mechanisms, which to the untrained eye might come across as spazzing out or just plain goofiness. It is important to remember while on a date with a geek, that if they are starting to seem anxious, or overtly goofy, it is not because you are doing anything wrong, but rather that they like you.

2. Geeks are much more likely to follow their brain/heart than their phallus.
    There are some exceptions to the rule, however most geeks are avid readers. They are known for having concepts of love, honor, and chivalry in an age where the alpha crowd has all but abandoned it. Geeks are on average used to having female friends, usually female geeks. Geeks are more likely to listen, and are more likely to respect a woman's timing in matters of boundaries and physical contact.

3. Geeks are meek.
    Meek does not mean weak. Meekness is more correctly defined as gentle patience. It is an attribute of honor that is common amongst adult geeks. Geeks are more often than not stronger in character than their counterparts of other groups. Many geeks are students of the great philosophers and seek wisdom over knowledge, this is something that should be considered.

4. Geeks have big hearts.
    Many geeks are just plain sweethearts. They are into the romantic and are known for showering their partners with affection. The thing is that geeks are on average more in touch with their feelings than most men. It is not easy growing up a geek, many geeks are easily hurt, and while they may not say it, they are more often than not hurt by passing comments by their partners or those around them.

5. Geeks are better lovers.
    As Lewis Skolnick said in the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" 'All jocks ever think about is sports, all nerds ever think about is sex' In context this statement was made to show that nerds(geeks) pay more attention to the needs of a woman in the bedroom. It makes sense in a way, geeks are more prone to logic, and logic dictates that if you want a woman to come back for more, you make it really good the first time, and every time after that.

The first five are really the perks of dating a geek. However, the last three cover some things to consider after a relationship has begun.

6. Geeks are prone to retreat from a situation by focusing on their own area of geek expertise.
    This means that after an argument or a passing comment you may not be aware offended them you may find them fixated on a computer, xbox, RPG, or stack of comic books. This does not mean they have lost interest in your but rather that they are hurt and uncomfortable and are looking for a way to either escape or work things out until things get better.

7. Geeks are known for compartmentalization.
    It goes with the territory. Geeks multi-task. More importantly though they are known for spreading their talents and attention across many projects, giving each an equal amount of attention, though ignoring the others when focused on just one. Many women have described this as a point of conflict in relationships with geeks as it comes across as indifference or non-chalance.

8. Geeks are Geeks.
    Geeks are known for their eccentricity. Most have an area of expertise, and many derive their humor and topic of conversation from that area or areas surrounding it. While this may go well at parties with the music geek or the movie geek. The Star Trek geek or the Computer Geek might find themselves speaking Klingon or telling a C:\Dos\Run joke. If this is not an issue for you, congratulations you have yourself a fine geek. However if you do not know the difference between Tribble and a Treble Clef you might find yourself wondering what the geek is talking about.

In summary. Geeks are socially awkward, meek, compassionate, honorable sex demons who are known to back away from an uncomfortable situation and compartmentalize the relationship while focusing on their geekiness. Nothing wrong with that really, but knowing this beforehand prepares you for the joys of a relationship with an individual that will hold your hand and know how to balance your checkbook.

*many statements made were generalizations and not meant to offend or define the group as a whole.
    ** I am a geek.

2. Xcuze

Gold Member

I got 90% through that before I realised you were on about geeks & not GREEKS!
    In my experience geeks usually have huge cocks (compensation?). So a big Yay to geeks.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

4. naughty

Gold Member

Wow that almost sounds like someone with a borderline case of Aspergers.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

:rofl: I have often said that about the person who gave me the link to that geek guide, but he bristles when I mention it so I stopped mentioning it. :tongue:

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I dated a scientist about 12 years ago...and while I figured most of this out on my own. I will add one bit of advice..." They love to talk about their work" and as a rule the layman will only understand about 30% of what is being said; thus nod and smile a lot and ask questions like;"Oh that is an interesting point;can you elaborate on that"?
    We are still friends and it still works to this day! We can sort of have a conversation, and he thinks I am very versed in Reproductive Medicine.
    And last if you love a dry sense of humor and a man with a heart of gold...this is the man for you. I played hard to get for too long(he wanted me to quit my job and move to San Francisco) and it's the same sad story of the man that got away!(Sighs)

7. Jasper72

Jasper72 New Member

...and it all started with a Big Bang!
    Q'pla!

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Female geek here, but I'm kind of an oddball geek (yes I know that's redundant, but I have a bit of jock about me as well - I've always liked sports, both playing them and watching them...)

One thing in that article gave me a chuckle. One of my favorite T-shirts I've seen was similar to it. The T-shirt said:

C code
    C code run
    Run code, run!

Another favorite shirt I've seen is a play on the "Baseball is Life: The rest is just details" with the picture of a baseball bat on it. Only on THIS shirt it had a picture of the double helix, and said: "DNA is Life: The rest is just details". :biggrin1:

9. Meniscus

Gold Member

I love that show! It's not altogether unlike my living situation when I was in grad school and sharing a house with an electrical engineer from India and a Ph.D. candidate in theoretical high-energy particle physics (who was every bit the geek you might imagine him to be), and another guy who was tall, pale, skinny, and bald (and kinda looked like Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins). I wasn't a science geek, but I can't say that I'm not a geek.

I've totally got the hots for Jim Parsons, who steals the show as Sheldon. I like Johnny Galecki as Leonard, but it's Parsons who makes the show work. I also loved him in the Quiznos "Raised by Wolves" commerical.

YouTube - Raised by wolves commercial from Quiznos

10. Meniscus

Gold Member

11. Principessa

Gold Member

OMG! I LOVE Big Bang Theory! Sheldon is a hoot and a half. :lmao:

12. Supersized

Supersized New Member

I'm proud to be a geek. It's true we do have big dicks.

Draft saved Draft deleted