Et tu serena

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So...About Mark Knight’s Racist Serena Williams Cartoon - Essence

If you are not one of us who enjoys the gentlemanly-- and gentle-womanly-- game of tennis you missed a dust-up during the women's final at the U.S. Open that came within an eyelash of becoming another "Thrilla in Manilla" from the days of Mohammed Ali. By tennis standards it was a doozy of a verbal exchange.

In the lead-up to a battle royal between Serena Williams and diminutive chair umpire Carlos Ramos, Serena was getting thoroughly whipped by 20-year-old Naomi Osaka. Serena can usually out-pummel her opponent by a good margin with her first serve, and when that doesn't work she can normally rely on a powerful cross-court forehand that leaves her victims scrambling and whiffing at air. Williams, unfortunately on this day, was confronted with a young Haitian-Japanese player that could out-slug her at the baseline and serve as fast as she could-- with more accuracy.

Serena is a passionate, emotional competitor. Already at wits-ends and running out of tactical ideas how to tame Osaka, a suggestion or a cool idea may have come by way of her coach sitting in the stands. (Pssst, move forward, serve and volley). That is a big no-no. When chair umpire Ramos detected these subtle coaching signals coming from her player's box he lay down the law. Shortly after things really went south for Serena so she employed that tried-and-true method of tennis aggression, breaking her racket. Carlos Ramos would have none of it and gave Serena strike two! Forget Naomi Osaka, Serena concentrated on the only opponent that mattered in her immediate world, that epitome of a male chauvinist son-of-a-bitch sitting higher than mighty in that umpire's chair. She called him (among other things) a liar, demanded an apology and then summoned every U.S. tennis authority she could including a woman holding an old-fashioned walkie-talkie and a guy with big silver hair who looked like a conductor for one of the Big Five U.S. orchestras. It was all for naught. Strike three Serena, do not pass go and pay $17,000.

I'm not defending Serena. She was wrong, as wrong as whoever designed that tennis dress that made her look like a 200-lb. sugar plum fairy. But gosh, breaking rackets is a long tradition in tennis. Male player Grigor Dimitrov who's greatest achievement to date has been as a one-time beau of super-babe Maria Sharapova has made a cottage industry out of breaking rackets.

Reactions: deleted1168963

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She would have lost anyways.

There's probably double standards in tennis as in everything else in life. However, it shouldn't/can't be used as an excuse. Serena has a history of being threatening to line umpires. This time she went against a chair umpire, and that's a different story.

Rules are rules - you can always bend them, but now and then there's a consequence . If I drive to fast, it's going to cost a little now and then. Calling a cop "A thief" for giving you a ticket for speeding, doesn't magically change the speed limit.

Are men's tennis worse? Absolutely . But it's not an excuse - it's damage control.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She would have lost anyways.

There's probably double standards in tennis as in everything else in life. However, it shouldn't/can't be used as an excuse. Serena has a history of being threatening to line umpires. This time she went against a chair umpire, and that's a different story.

Rules are rules - you can always bend them, but now and then there's a consequence . If I drive to fast, it's going to cost a little now and then. Calling a cop "A thief" for giving you a ticket for speeding, doesn't magically change the speed limit.

Are men's tennis worse? Absolutely . But it's not an excuse - it's damage control.

Watching those two interact I honestly couldn't help but think of this scene

Anyways, there are valid arguments to make about the inconsistency in the pattern of calling sportsmanship related rules violations, but those arguments get pretty lost in that same poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: thirteenbyseven

IMO, Serena beat Serena in this case. Not taking anything away from Osaka, but Serena allowed her emotions to get out of control.

I like Martina Navratilova's comments on it from Opinion | Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong

It’s difficult to know, and debatable, whether Ms. Williams could have gotten away with calling the umpire a thief if she were a male player. But to focus on that, I think, is missing the point. If, in fact, the guys are treated with a different measuring stick for the same transgressions, this needs to be thoroughly examined and must be fixed. But we cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with. In fact, this is the sort of behavior that no one should be engaging in on the court. There have been many times when I was playing that I wanted to break my racket into a thousand pieces. Then I thought about the kids watching. And I grudgingly held on to that racket.

Class act, that Martina... class act.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not defending Serena. She was wrong, as wrong as whoever designed that tennis dress that made her look like a 200-lb. sugar plum fairy. But gosh, breaking rackets is a long tradition in tennis. Male player Grigor Dimitrov who's greatest achievement to date has been as a one-time beau of super-babe Maria Sharapova has made a cottage industry out of breaking rackets.

Dimitrov did get penalized for that (including a match penalty).

Racket abuse is a "tradition" in the way that hockey players getting into fist fights is a tradition. While these events might not be uncommon,they still earn players a trip to the penalty box.

Reactions: thirteenbyseven

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Federer saying to the umpire," Don't tell me what to fucking do." Not one penalty assessed:

And here's McEnroe getting thrown the fuck out for racket abuse.

That's the thing with inconsistently applied rules is you'll be able to find examples of both.

Being one that used to play a bit of sport. Nothing was more embarrassing than someone who could just not get over the refs decision and get on with playing the game. It's not uncommon to feel dudded by a call. This goes for the rabble on the sideline who yell abuse at the refs and players as well. The couch potatoes.

Yeah it's these guys living, now and then chucking a hissy fit is part of any job, who hasn't...but it's also good sportsmanship to get over it quickly, and play the game. Because that's what it is, a raquet a ball and a net.

If it gets to the stage where you constantly argue decisions. It's time to give it away.

Reactions: Bonfire

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
My personal, irrelevant thoughts: sports are fucking stupid and unfair anyway. Bad calls get made, rules aren't applied consistently, and people take the shit way too fucking seriously.

I do think Serena is treated unfairly, in general. The only reason I even know about it is because it gets brought up in my circles because I'm the only person I know who gives No Fucks about sports in the first place. I used to play. A few different things.
I started hating it when no one did it for FUN anymore. It's ridiculous and unnecessary, but I'm definitely in the minority in that. So, I just sit back and listen to everyone make a huge fucking deal about a stupid ball or whatever the object of the sort is, and I just roll my eyes and sigh. Every time.

Reactions: b.c.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That article is a mess (Yahoo lifestyle?)

Pretty sure anyone who follows tennis even casually is aware that Naomi Osaka is biracial. She is referred to as a Japanese player because she is representing Japan in the tournament. This is the Japan Tennis Association's website: About JTA | JAPAN TENNIS ASSOCIATION You can see their roster and her position on the Japanese National Team.

For sure Serena Williams has been subjected to sexism in her life. For sure Serena Williams has been subjected to racism in her life. That does not then become a compelling argument that a specific occurrence such as this one was motivated by racism or sexism (it might be, it might not be, but that she has been a victim of such treatment before doesn't make a case that this one was. For that you would really want to track the history of how this specific line judge responded to similar insults from other players. When does he let it slide and when did he enforce it.)

The code for verbal abuse does not require foul language. It only requires that a player be insulting towards an official. I do not think it stretches any understanding of English to say that calling someone a thief is insulting them.

John McEnroe racked up plenty of violations for his on-court behavior, including multiple code violations for verbal abuse and racket abuse resulting in financial penalties, disqualifications, and suspensions. I don't know where people developed a sense that he never got called for his behavior, but Tennis' legendary bad boy got his ass handed to them routinely for that shit.

The stuff about a boycott was from one official speaking on condition of anonymity. You can certainly say "oh, well that's enough for me to say that definitely this is a thing that's happening" but you could also express a little more skepticism about someone anonymously bitching.

etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsAll4Kim

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The old saying, "don't want no trouble, don't start no trouble" really applies here. Breaking rules and racquets and then claiming -isms and unfairness are just a lack of another -ism....professionalism. Ramos has levied the exact same penalties against male players. The analogy of speeding tickets is a good one. We all do it, then feel it was unfair that we got caught. Don't want no trouble? Don't start no trouble.

A lot of the commentators don't follow tennis, don't understand the penalty rules, and many don't even seem to have watched this incident. This woman knows her stuff and gives a very fair and measured account of what happened and why Serena was in the wrong. I have a lot of sympathy for Serena, she may well have suffered sexism and racism in her career - no doubt of it - but here she just had a really bad meltdown and did herself no favours.Imo.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As nothing more than a casual observer of all of this, my peeve is that Naomi Osaka, a person no one outside of tennis ever heard of, beat the household name of women's tennis and what for its own sake would have otherwise been above-the fold-news was pushed off the headlines. Instead of celebrating Osaka's accomplishment, people are politicizing Serena's controversy.

D

deleted15807

The ceiling that women of color face on their path to leadership never felt more impenetrable than it did at the women’s U.S. Open final on Saturday. Ironic, perhaps, that the roof of Arthur Ashe Stadium was closed for the championship match. What was supposed to be a memorable moment for tennis, with Serena Williams, perhaps the greatest player of all time, facing off against Naomi Osaka, the future of our sport, turned into another example of people in positions of power abusing that power.

Perspective | Billie Jean King: Serena is still treated differently than male athletes

SonyToyo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Federer saying to the umpire," Don't tell me what to fucking do." Not one penalty assessed:

Federer actually got heavily fined for this. You’d know this if you actually watched tennis.

Also men receive way more violations than women overall. Is that sexist?

Reactions: TexanStar