Etta James 'can't stand' Beyonce

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Etta James 'can't stand' Beyonce - Yahoo! News

She doesn't really state why. I was hoping she go into how Beyonce has to over-embellish, out-octave, over-soul, shwank every cover song she does...

...but instead it seems like sour grapes that BO (that smell again) picked B over Etta.

Or maybe just old age a la bein' crotchety.

bruce-e

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Is this another "taken out of context' situation? Etta James is a Ledgend....period. B is nowere near her, as far as her Stature is concerned

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Etta is a genius and she even bought something off me on Ebay a few yrs ago. Even more odd is that someone like me has liked a few Beyonce songs but Beyonce should watch this video before she plays Etta again......

YouTube - Cyndi Lauper - At Last [Music Video]

Now how DID I know u were a man of good taste?! Or is that tastes good...lol.

OMFG!!! Cyndi Lauper?!!! She sounded like a black gurl in chuhch. She did a better job at that song than Beyonce did at the Inaugural ball. And just with a few piyanner (that's Southern for piano) chords at that. :eek: I had to favorite that one on my YouTube page.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OMFG!!! Cyndi Lauper?!!! She sounded like a black gurl in chuhch. She did a better job at that song than Beyonce did at the Inaugural ball. And just with a few piyanner (that's Southern for piano) chords at that. :eek: I had to favorite that one on my YouTube page.

Invisi as usual you are a man of style and class!

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beyonce is cute and I like some of her songs. I would kill for her abs; but Etta is a legend. IMO Etta is just being sour grapes because she wasn't invited to sing her trademark song at the inaugural ball.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Invisi as usual you are a man of style and class!

I am a songwriter. I gotta listen to the oldies and the goodies. I listen to sooo much music. I listen to it all. (I don't relate to most but I listen for the ideas and the styles.)

Etta probably got mad at gurlfriend B because it wasn't Etta singing at the Inaugural ball. Women get testy over that sort of thing. :rolleyes: And Beyonce has a way of being a show-off with the vocalese at times in her songs.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Beyonce is cute and I like some of her songs. I would kill for her abs; but Etta is a legend. IMO Etta is just being sour grapes because she wasn't invited to sing her trademark song at the inaugural ball.

Yes, we here were saying the same thing, and maybe she had a right to be pissed. Guess she must have said to herself "Beyonce? Wtf, I ain't dead, yet."

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:rolleyes: And Beyonce has a way of being a show-off with the vocalese at times in her songs.

Really? I hadn't noticed that w/most contemporary female singers. :eek: i think they need a week at Rosemary Clooney camp! You can sell a song w/out screaming and showing off. Calling Mariah carey's Show-Off coach!

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

As usual you are right on the money. It was at a concert in Cali on January 31 when Miss James stated to the effect that Beyonce "has no business being on that big presidential stage singing my song that I've be signing for years."

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As usual you are right on the money. It was at a concert in Cali on January 31 when Miss James stated to the effect that Beyonce "has no business being on that big presidential stage singing my song that I've be signing for years."

Years?! DECADES! Amen to her!

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read this morning that Etta was mad because Beyonce sang an Etta James song at the performance.

Which is slightly understandable but I thought you had to pay a fee to cover a song and that the artist who owned the song also had to agree to the cover.

I'm not into Beyonce myself and I do actually prefer Etta James.