Eunice (Kennedy) Shriver 1921 - 2009

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Stronzo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

The fifth daughter of Joseph and Rose (Fitzgerald) Kennedy has died this morning at Cape Cod Hospital.

She was a very enigmatic woman. She was terribly intelligent. Old Joe Kennedy said she'd have made the best politician of all his children.

Her husband R. Sargent Shriver ran for Vice President and then in 1976 for President. He was unsuccessful in both bids.

I once sat next to them at a nice restaurant in Yarmouthport here on the Cape. Arnold and Maria and Sargent and Eunice ... we were directly next to them and they were as charming and lovely as they could be.

We were seated at the same time so we chatted off and on throughout dinner.

Arnold is surprisingly short and Eunice had the thickest head of hair I've ever seen. Maria looks you straight in the eyes as did her mother when speaking to you (a quality I find particularly sincere) and both seemed genuinely interested in all we had to say.

Eunice Shriver was a devout Roman Catholic and did not believe in a woman's right to choose though in all other matters it appears she was a liberal Democrat.

She'd been living at the Compound just before being admitted to the Cape Cod Hospital. From my own personal perspective she was a lovely woman with a charming manner and beautiful speaking voice.

It's another milestone and I'm saddened that she's gone. (Robert) Sargent Shriver yet lives on at ninety-three.

**aside- My family were no great fan of the Kennedys. But in my own experience I've grown to respect them as about as human as they come. My dad was prone to say "old Joe made his money running rum all the while bedding Gloria Swanson".

2. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I'm sorry I never had a chance to talk with her.
    I've long admired Eunice Kennedy Shriver and she will surely be missed.
    Thanks Stronzo for the info.
    Out here in the woods I never get to see a newspaper!
    C.B.:saevil:

3. D_Amyntas Lillydong

D_Amyntas Lillydong Account Disabled

i'm saddened.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

May God rest Eunice Kennedy Shriver's soul and bring peace to her family and friends. :frown1:

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    My mother is a neighbor and called just before the news was made public. Even the staunchest of Republicans hold the Kennedys in high regard, particularly Eunice, obviously for what she did for the Special Olympics but also for who she was as a human being.

No matter what you make of their politics, the Kennedys are a remarkable family. I think Ted is holding on solely to see his greatest legacy pass. God willing.

6. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Ted and Eunice.... mo definey not one/same.

7. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge

I'll get back to you after I parse this one out, face.

8. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

In my view (coming from a generationally Republican family who despised all things Kennedy) I think Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis - though a married-in Kennedy - was the most substantive member. For her two children to have turned out the way they did is a testament to her strength and resolve.

I met Ethel (Bobby's widow) when she was keeping company with Andy Williams back in the 80s in Hyannis. Ethel's impressive in her own right too. But the power behind the Kennedy mystique is undoubtedly Rose (I met her too but she was over one hundred years old, totally out of it, and under a tent at the Compound).

She was one tough cookie.

Old Joe was universally despised by Old Guard Yankees.

To most Bostonian and Plymouth founding families the Kennedys were (and in some cases still are) "Irish upstarts". When the Compound was first purchased by old Joe Kennedy it wasn't kept up and the stories of neglected "Kennedy cottage" are lore here.

Only once Jack became a Senator from Massachusetts did they spiff up their image. John's marriage to Jackie was to inject an element of "quality" into a rather crass bunch. Indeed Jackie - to her final days - had little use for most of the Kennedys. After Bobby was assasinated (with whom I suspect she had an affair) Jackie pulled up stakes and married Ari and got the children the hell out of Dodge.

She literally feared for their lives.

To me the Kennedys are an American phenomenon. I know a great deal about the inner workings of that family and the information would put many people off to them. I know many who've been paid to be silent and I personally know a girl (now a woman from Centerville) who'll be forever wheelchair bound because of a wreckless accident in which she was badly injured while out in the 70s with one of Bobby's sons. Her family will never want for a thing.

You don't have that many children and not have scandal.

The only piece about Eunice Shriver I found particularly offensive is that her Roman Catholicisim kept her from being a real feminist. She began a group called "Democrats for Life". And the notion of Pope Benedict:rolleyes: weighing in from Vatican City during her last hours was obnoxious in my view.

However as I said in my opening post both she and Sargent Shriver were charming to us that night at dinner.

May she find that heaven she truly believes exists. I'd wish that for her.

#8 B_Stronzo, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted