*** Euro 2008 Thread ***

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Given the European contingency here... shocked there's no blather on football.

Oh wait, sorry, since England is embarrasingly out of Euro 2008 (and the number of Brits we've got here). By the way, how on god's green earth can that happen. I hear soooooooooooo much about Premiership and how it's the best league.... validates my opinion that it's all "store bought"..... ManU = Boston Red Sox, Chelsea = NY Yankess, Liverpool = NYMets... and so on.

Anyways, first three matches were ok. AUS/CRO was a fun nail biting gem this AM (here in on the West side of the states...). Terrible PK situation. GER/POL up next... and the "death group" kicks off tomorrow.... ITA/FRA/NED/ROM. What are the odds that Romania can pull out of that group?? 10,000:1?

Have done a few fantasy leagues on Euro 2008, and have marked Portugal and Croatia to go futher than expected.

PeterPoole

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was a bit sorry for Austria... They played a good match.

I actually think Romania can surprise... Anyway, it's going to be exciting to follow...

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
What the hell? I made an Euro thread and got no attention, whatever it must mean I'm a nobody here.

Best games so far, Portugal-Turkey (the Turks had no chance), (Edited because I think the OP hasn't seen it)

I wouldn't be surprised if Romania goes through, after all they beat the Netherlands in qualification, twice I believe.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will be supporting Portugal, France and Sweden for various reasons but I have a sneaking suspicion that Croatia will win. Holland were magnificent in their friendly against Wales last weekend but they always disappoint in finals.

I'm with you on that... Croatia "sqeaked" by Austria... and they'll count their blessing, and turn it up ... It's not Group C... but Germany and Poland are no cake walks.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What the hell? I made an Euro thread and got no attention, whatever it must mean I'm a nobody here.

Best games so far, Portugal-Turkey (the Turks had no chance), (Edited because I think the OP hasn't seen it)

I wouldn't be surprised if Romania goes through, after all they beat the Netherlands in qualification, twice I believe.

Sorry.. I did search on Euro... and did not see anything directed towards footie...

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Bollox - with Ireland not getting in I have to say

Allez les Bleus!!

But there are some cafes in the local towns that are a riot (almost literally) when Turkey win anything - so I'm up for that too :biggrin:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow... a French Romanian draw. curious how many players on the French national team are actually French... digression.

ITALIA v NEDERLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! match of the first round, period.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
But there are some cafes in the local towns that are a riot (almost literally) when Turkey win anything - so I'm up for that too :biggrin:
heh heh :biggrin1: It does get pretty 'exciting'. You can't get a seat in any tea house , restaurant, or bar when a big match is on. It's very communal around the big screens. :smile:

We lost the opener and need to win both against the Swiss and Czechs. I have my doubts. They need to get some defense happening. I think I'm in love with Volkan... :biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Wow... a French Romanian draw. curious how many players on the French national team are actually French... digression.

Not sure what you mean, faceking - They all hold French Nationality - they have to be French to play for France - it's part of the rules.

10 out of the 23 man squad play for French teams, if that's what you mean. The others play in Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK.

Or are you referring to their places of birth? Well, 16 out of the 23 man squad were born in metropolitan France. Of the 7 that were not born in Metropolitan France, 2 were born in the DOMs* - that's Lilian Thuram (Guadaloupe), Florent Malouda (Guyane), those two men are just as French as the 16 born in the European bit of France. Of the remaining 5 - all are from former colonies of France and had every legal right to claim French Nationality (Steve Mandanda and Claude Makelele - born in 'Congo', Patrice Evra and Patrick Vieira - born in Senegal, Jean-Alain Boumsong - born in Cameroon). I'm not actually sure at what stage any of those men (or their parents) chose French nationality - some of them may have had French Nationality from birth also.

Does that answer your question?

* actually now the DROMs (Département et région d'outre-mer) which, for those of you who don't know are, as much a part of France as Hawaii is part of America.

Last edited:

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
Estimado midlifebear...estoy de acuerdo contigo sobre casi todo que has dicho con una excepcion...Real Madrid es uno de mis equipos favoritos!!:wink:

Me gusta mucho futbol, pero es imposible hablar acerca del deporte en inglés cuando su equipos favoritos son River Plate, FC Barçelona, Gama, y . . . shhhhhhh. . . Boca.

¿Real Madrid? ¡Cago en Real Madrid!

traveljoe5

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have just watched a brilliant Holland beat Italy.

However, if you still believe that the English premier league is not the best in the World, then you are not a very good judge of soccer.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
OK, I hate beagles...now that didn't add too much to the conversation, did it?

Indeed, the dislike of football and beagles in a football post are quite the same thing.

Hahahahaha!!! Burn!

Has to have been said by someone that wears a football shirt everyday.

Regardless, I understand each to their own but I do think there are some major flaws with football. Money for one, the severity of it's fanatics for another.

I think it's disgusting that someone who really just kicks a ball around get paid millions, particularly when they don't actually contribute much if anything to society. Then when you see the medical profession folding because it's drastically underfunded, it makes me wonder if footballers should have a capped wage, the excess being gifted to charities and such.

Then there's the fans. We English hardly have a good rep as football fans abroad now, do we. I don't quite understand why the love of a game can inspire such barbarism at times.

Thanks God for satellite TV, at least there is always something better on.

Still for those that do enjoy the game... have fun.