*** Euro 2008 Thread ***

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have just watched a brilliant Holland beat Italy.

However, if you still believe that the English premier league is not the best in the World, then you are not a very good judge of soccer.
:smile: That game in Moscow was something, wasn't it?

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
Indeed, the dislike of football and beagles in a football post are quite the same thing.

Has to have been said by someone that wears a football shirt everyday.

Regardless, I understand each to their own but I do think there are some major flaws with football. Money for one, the severity of it's fanatics for another.

I think it's disgusting that someone who really just kicks a ball around get paid millions, particularly when they don't actually contribute much if anything to society. Then when you see the medical profession folding because it's drastically underfunded, it makes me wonder if footballers should have a capped wage, the excess being gifted to charities and such.

Then there's the fans. We English hardly have a good rep as football fans abroad now, do we. I don't quite understand why the love of a game can inspire such barbarism at times.

Thanks God for satellite TV, at least there is always something better on.

Still for those that do enjoy the game... have fun.

This is a thread to discuss the tournament, so saying that you dislike football and that I dislike beagles here are pretty much equal.

On topic, Romania-France, what a snoozer, thank god for the Dutch eh? :wink:

mattflanders

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never thought I'd ever say this (being Flemish/Belgian) but now Belgium isn't competing, and the Dutch are our closest neighbors/cousins, I say:
HUP HOLLAND HUP!

I hope they beat the French as well!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure what you mean, faceking - They all hold French Nationality - they have to be French to play for France - it's part of the rules.

10 out of the 23 man squad play for French teams, if that's what you mean. The others play in Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK.

Or are you referring to their places of birth? Well, 16 out of the 23 man squad were born in metropolitan France. Of the 7 that were not born in Metropolitan France, 2 were born in the DOMs* - that's Lilian Thuram (Guadaloupe), Florent Malouda (Guyane), those two men are just as French as the 16 born in the European bit of France. Of the remaining 5 - all are from former colonies of France and had every legal right to claim French Nationality (Steve Mandanda and Claude Makelele - born in 'Congo', Patrice Evra and Patrick Vieira - born in Senegal, Jean-Alain Boumsong - born in Cameroon). I'm not actually sure at what stage any of those men (or their parents) chose French nationality - some of them may have had French Nationality from birth also.

Does that answer your question?

* actually now the DROMs (Département et région d'outre-mer) which, for those of you who don't know are, as much a part of France as Hawaii is part of America.

Meant French heritage. The Italians took World Cup with all Italians, sans ....pretty much Cammorinesi (an Argentine). Not sure how many generations Thiery Henry is of French nationalship... was my point. Not a race argument, just an observation.

Former colonies????? Lordy...

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
CZE/POR has been one of the better matches. 99.99999% of all Euro fantasy teams are excited... but must realized Christiano "Gorgeous Boy" Ronaldo, is on EVERYONE's squad.... it's anyone who had Villa (nee Klose in World Cup '06) that is high and mighty.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Meant French heritage. The Italians took World Cup with all Italians, sans ....pretty much Cammorinesi (an Argentine). Not sure how many generations Thiery Henry is of French nationalship... was my point. Not a race argument, just an observation.

Former colonies????? Lordy...

Yes former colonies - France had colonies, surely you knew that.

I don't get you, faceking - I didn't answer from a race point of view, I answered from a birthplace point of view.

Now you seem to be implying that you don't think they have 'French heritage' because what exactly? Because the vast majority of the team are black? Firstly, what the fuck do you know about French heritage? Secondly, there have been black people in France for quite a long time. Thirdly, do you know anything about football in Europe? It has always been the preserve of the working classes, specifically the urban working classes - where for reasons a lot to do with past and current prejudices (same as in your country) the race ratios are somewhat different.

Edit: And who gives a fuck about 'heritage' of national sport representitives anyway?? Will it be OK for me during the Olympics to question the 'origins' of every American athlete? Oooo, I wonder when HER parents landed in the States - ooooo, I wonder what HIS 'heritage' is - oooo, I bet HE's lacking a significant American ancestory - he looks at least 67.36% Polish to me! Horseshit, faceking - steaming horseshit!

This isn't the thread for this discussion so perhaps I'd be better off keeping my frustrations at your ignorance to myself and you'd be better off talking about fucking football. I, unfortunately, can't talk about fucking football because my fucking satelite dish was knocked out by a hail storm last week and I don't have the necessary gear to get up to it myself so TV, and therefor euro 08, is off til the weekend.

Last edited:

Marlboro woman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The English premier league has arguably the best individual players and three club sides who are as great as any in the world.

That doesn't mean the best football is played here. The premier league relies too much on pace, athleticism and moments of individual brilliance. That doesn't mean it isn't exciting to watch, but a lot of people prefer the greater technical ability, and movement off the ball that you see in Spain, for example, or displayed internationally by the likes of Holland, Portugal, Brazil and of course Croatia who taught England a lesson at Wembley recently.

My boyfriend, for example, always talks about the great Liverpool sides of the 1970s and 80s (he is a Birmingham City supporter like me, one of his many great qualities) and he maintains that none of the current Liverpool side would get into those great sides, they just don't have the technical ability. He always goes on about Graeme Souness and what a great player he was.

Also there is no way today's premier league players would cope with the physical side of the game in years gone by. They have it too easy.

I have just watched a brilliant Holland beat Italy.

However, if you still believe that the English premier league is not the best in the World, then you are not a very good judge of soccer.

Catchoftheday

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Also there is no way today's premier league players would cope with the physical side of the game in years gone by. They have it too easy.

Yeah but the old fashioned players had no idea about falling over and rolling on the ground and there is no way they could get away with those tiny shorts these days :rolleyes: