European coverage for cellphone... need help

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tachyon, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tachyon

tachyon New Member

Albums:
    I'm going to study abroad next spring semester in Europe and the thing I don't wanna buy a little camera and camcorder for exploration including a cellphone to carry around. thats why I'm planning to buy an iPhone 4 as a multipurpose gadget (doing videos, photos, journals, communication, etc).
    I heard you can get a factory unlocked iPhone 4 outside the US, maybe Canada (Which I don't know anyone in there to get it).

Now the Question is about European coverage, Does anybody know which is the best cellphone company that completely covers the continent? For a good price too?

thanks

2. tachyon

tachyon New Member

Albums:
    I guess no one here...

just a bump

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Vodaphone.

Strangely I was discussing this today with my UK provider.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm not sure what to say, I would check with your service provider. My phone works everywhere fairly great, but sort of sucks at the beach in Hawaii and the Australian outback is kind of spotty.

5. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Overall...T-Mobile is the best company for iPhones in Europe. The best bet would be to jailbreak and unlock your phone before you travel. By unlocking it you can use any sim card purchased in whatever country you may find yourself in. If, for some reason, you do travel with your phone as is...it's paramount that you turn off data roaming and turn fetch data off.

6. tachyon

tachyon New Member

Albums:
    I have sprint but the type of phone they have really sucks, and for international services are limited. About the phone, I'm choosing the iphone 4 as a pocket computer to carry around and do some videos and photos.

In Australia, do they use GSM?

7. tachyon

tachyon New Member

Albums:
    How is it, are they GSM and no contract company? And also with Data support :)

8. tachyon

tachyon New Member

Albums:
    Apple have factory unlock iphones. the problem is getting that type of iphone which its serial number makes it updatable. The illegally unlocked and its serials are bonded to ATT are bad.

9. Stretch

Stretch New Member

That's why you jailbreak it first and then unlock it. You can always update it

10. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Best to jailbreak / unlock first, or buy the phone in France, as I believe the law there prevents phones being locked to a network, but check first as understandably, costs there are higher.

As for operators, would all depend which country you would stay in the most, however there has been a resent EU ruling which caps roaming charges in all parts of the EU, so the cost there is kept down.

If you was in the UK, I would deffo say avoid the 3 network, due to very patchy coverage in some parts of the UK, and that it's probs best to stick with O2 (Part of Telefonica, so they have quite a wide EU coverage, and I have never had a problem with them), or go with T-mobile / Orange (Part of France Telecom), as they now operate both networks together (You will need to sign up for this).

#10 B_stanmarsh14, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted