Eurovision 1st semi-final

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, May 12, 2009.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

2. pym

pym New Member

I am glad you posted those videos....i was not sure what you guys were talking about. It sounded like an olympics competition or international soccor match! I closed my eyes and only listened to the music......what i heard was simple techno pop tunes, No matter the language. Nothing to get too excited about. And i have a vast collection of music to reference to.
    To me great european music is
    PJ HARVEY {British}
    The Sound Track Of our Lives {Swedish}
    Graham Coxen / Blur {British}
    Texas {Scottish}
    Kate Bush {British}
    Vashti Bunyan {British}
    etc.....and admittedly some of these are older artists{i'm 47}
    But what i just heard, ain't the good stuff....sorry.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Me thinks you are comparing to hits and not appreciating the songs for themselves.....the Finnish entry was a no.1 in the finnish charts and the portuguese entry is actually a poem which is sung, a very beautiful poem at that. There is passion and fun in the eurovision, they are not looking for a christmas no.1 or anything, just to be the best in the competition.....i cannot expect you to fully appreciate the comp but its fantastic and those songs are good, i CAN appreciate myself though that the contest has long fell into the category of 'love it or hate it' as i'm sure previous threads can reveal.

4. pym

pym New Member

Yeah to be fair....i feel exactly the same about the American pop singer contest shows too....I am turning into a cranky old fart.
    But i sincerely believe all the best modern era music was done between 65 and 75......

5. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow. The Armenian one was mind-blowing. In a good way. That's got my vote so far.

6. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

haha....i think its a great entry from Armenia. Some more good ones to come on thursday too

Draft saved Draft deleted