Eurovision: A Travesty

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
Ok, first of all, this is my second night of posting while drunk so don't expect this to make sense. Anyway, I was out tonight at a Eurovision party with 4 lovely lady friends, and we all agreed that it was a complete travesty.
Firstly, how could such a shit singer win? Fair enough, she's a fat Serbian lesbian and good luck to her, but her song was absolutely awful. See here: YouTube - Eurovision 2007 Serbia Marija Serifovic - Molitva
Then, I do firmly believe that the UK entry was the best that we've had for years. See here: YouTube - Scooch Flying The Flag UK 2007 Eurovision MYMU
Scooch perfectly represent the world of catchy camp pop - with subtly obscene comments from their air stewards that had me pissing myself when I first heard them. I was disgusted that we only got votes from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - with all due respect, all ex-colonies.
It seems that these days, everyone just votes for their neighbours. So all the old Yugoslav countries vote for each other. And the 11 countries which used to be part of Russia all vote for each other too. It's just not fucking fair! Why can't people vote based purely on music and image alone? The politics shouldn't matter at all. The UK were one of the few countries whose votes seemed to be based entirely on musical taste. The rest of them are probably so used to a Communist regime that they automatically vote Russia whenever possible. I'm not anti-Russian but how else can you explain it!!!!!
For what it's worth, I am a Europhile, I love the fact that this song contest showcases so many hot people from all over Europe, it's a great advert for the whole continent. But PLEASE can we have some sanity over the voting, because it's just a big scam at the moment.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
IMO, from memory; being drunk would be the best way to watch the Eurovision Song Contest. Failing that, perhaps gnawing off a limb or two would serve as alternative way to divert one's attention from its manifest awfulness.

cmnmsheff

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wogan was brilliant as usual. I think he managed to keep sober this year too!

The winning song was quite dull though personally I think the UK song got what it deserved as it was rubbish. I think it was far too obviously and delibereately camp. Yes, a lot of people in the UK think the contest is all about camp, but that's not what most of Europe think.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
IMO, from memory; being drunk would be the best way to watch the Eurovision Song Contest. Failing that, perhaps gnawing off a limb or two would serve as alternative way to divert one's attention from its manifest awfulness.

Being drunk and deaf even.

Yes Terry was there again - and didn't hold back on the ridiculousness of it all.

It would be interesting to know who actually got the most votes, rather than the current system where the 30 odd thaousand Andorrans have as much say as the 90 odd million Germans.

I always see it as the most compelling reason not to have a European Parliament.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Wogan was brilliant as usual. I think he managed to keep sober this year too!

The winning song was quite dull though personally I think the UK song got what it deserved as it was rubbish. I think it was far too obviously camp and yes, a lot of people in the UK think the contest is all about camp, but that's not what most of Europe think.
It seems like it is an event for failed British song writers to finally get noticed. I suspect any talented song writers would avoid it like the plague!
It almost seems like the UK chooses really bad songs because they don't take the event seriously anymore, it's not like it is the only way to show our musical talent as with some of the countries involved :biggrin1: