Eurovision grips me! - i'm lpsg's biggest EV fan...

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wonder how next year is going to work, i mean Germany won so only 4 are automatically in the final which means the semi finals will be unequally split unless another country joins the contest.

Where the hell are Italy, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic these days?

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know that Austria got tired of all the Eastern European countries giving each other their points, which doesn't give none Eastern European countries a very big chance of winning.
So they got out. They were thinking about doing the same in Germany about 2 or 3 years ago, people were incredibly upset about this whole thing.
We pay for it, and get no points.
Plus: Since when is Russia European? I mean yeah, geographically it is part European, but still........

I wonder how next year is going to work, i mean Germany won so only 4 are automatically in the final which means the semi finals will be unequally split unless another country joins the contest.

Where the hell are Italy, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic these days?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I thought that it was a great advertisement for Europe - especially the dance piece they did before the results. Thanks Norway, very cool.

The Georgian girl stole my feelings, but I agreed with G Norton that they over choreographed her performance.

I also thought that the Welsh/Cypriot lad was worth more than he got. But then, I too am as biased as the next person.

mattflanders

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, I think I might go to Germany next year to see the contest live. Now I hope it's in Cologne so I can drive there.
About the Eastern European countries voting for eachother, it made me happy to see that the top 10 had mostly Western European countries. The juries have done their work.

And I just saw that Belgium won the first semi-final with 167 points. Well, Tom Dice is definitely the best Flemish entry for the Eurovision Song Contest so far.

mattflanders

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
About that, Qatar Radio has also shown an interest in joining the European Broadcasting Union so it can take part in Eurovision. (Sharing video, audio etc and taking part in the Eurovision Song Contest.) Anyone who pays the fee, can join in. Apparently, "the Qataris find the Song Contest to be culturully more valuable than talent show such as Idols."

I just read on the website that the area in which countries can join the EBU is based on the telegraphy lines to and from Europe in the 19th century. This includes: Europe, the Middle East, the Maghreb and the former Soviet Union.

Last edited:

I'd like to see the UK inviting some really top acts to submit a song - then if any reply, we can choose the best one for next year's entry. :D

Maybe a mixture of: Massive Attack, Chicane, Keane, Noah and the Whale, NDubz or Taio Cruz, Calvin Harris, Radiohead, Klaxons, John Williams...

All of the above would consider themselves too good for it, but it's worth askin - about time we got a decent tune in there. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Eric Banana

Experimental Member
Media
I think Belgium is the real winner. (okay, I'm not being very objectif because I'm from Belgium) but we are the only West European country (besides Germany) in the Top 5. We didn't get 12 points from our neighbours... it means other countries liked our song too! With the voting system Rusia, Romania, Georgia entc will always go trough the semi finals! It just aint fair! We were the only country with a song without stupid hair, dances, butterfly wings, threes... It was all about the musci! So, thank you Tom Dice (Our entry) to make people listen again, not only watch the contest! Stil, I liked Letvia and Romania a lot, they could sing and perform without making fools of them selfs...

The Belgian entry was pretty good, yup.

The UK, Germany (Spain and France?) automiatically getting to the final each year isn't really fair - but it's because we pay for most of the competition. However, coming bottom every year and still paying for the pleasure seems a bit pointless somehow. :(

andreaaa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Romania didn't got votes from it's neighbours either (except from Moldavia), it doesn't makes part of the balkanic block, nor the estern block. Germany had a nice cute easy song that I liked a lot but it was sung really really bad by Lena that evening. I'm fine with Germany winning, because with this times of economical crisis Turkey or Romania couldn't afford such expenses; and I honestly hope that germany will be able to create a better show than the Russia's two years ago. Norway was a disapointment for me this year, they are not able to create an original show..

D_Eric Banana

Experimental Member
Media
@ Joll...

Sorry to say, but The UK deserved to be last this year, at the end of the song, I turned the volume down because it was awfull... If you compare that with the voice of our entry...
Shame the UK didn't give us at least 1 point. But, no hard feelings, we didn't give you any point either ;-)

@ Joll...

Sorry to say, but The UK deserved to be last this year, at the end of the song, I turned the volume down because it was awfull... If you compare that with the voice of our entry...
Shame the UK didn't give us at least 1 point. But, no hard feelings, we didn't give you any point either ;-)
LOL! You Belgians - so truthful. :rolleyes:

Yep - his voice was terrible towards the end - I think it was nerves?
Can't remember who we gave points to - but not sure why we didn't give any to Belgium? Was a great song.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Belgian entry WAS a nice song but i think most eurovision fans like the catchier stuff most of the time. Look at Romania for example even tho i felt their song was too cheesy and europoppy to deserve the points it got.

As for the UK voting, what the hell was going on? Who the fuck voted to give Greece 12 points? It was the worst song i've heard from Greece in a long time. I swear they must make it up as they go along.

D_Eric Banana

Experimental Member
Media
Belgium gave 12 points to greece too, I'm so ashamed...but, there are many many Greek people living in Belgium, so, if they all voted, it must explain the 12 points!
Thank God we gave iceland 8 points. She sang so good, catchy song, other countries ignored her... She looked funny, big like a volcano, haha ;-)

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Belgium gave 12 points to greece too, I'm so ashamed...but, there are many many Greek people living in Belgium, so, if they all voted, it must explain the 12 points!
Thank God we gave iceland 8 points. She sang so good, catchy song, other countries ignored her... She looked funny, big like a volcano, haha ;-)

I think the volcano which was seen backstage before she sang may have scuppered her chances. Obviously Europe does'nt have a great sense of humour following the airspace closures.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
?????? Belgium was 6th, that is not the top5.
And why do you think you are the real winner when the winner (Germany) had 103 points more than Belgium............if it was 1 or 2, but 103........?????
Plus: I would consider Denmark a West European country, as you call it, as well, and they were 4th.

I think Belgium is the real winner. (okay, I'm not being very objectif because I'm from Belgium) but we are the only West European country (besides Germany) in the Top 5. We didn't get 12 points from our neighbours... it means other countries liked our song too! With the voting system Rusia, Romania, Georgia entc will always go trough the semi finals! It just aint fair! We were the only country with a song without stupid hair, dances, butterfly wings, threes... It was all about the musci! So, thank you Tom Dice (Our entry) to make people listen again, not only watch the contest! Stil, I liked Letvia and Romania a lot, they could sing and perform without making fools of them selfs...

D_Eric Banana

Experimental Member
Media
I Think Belgium is the mental winner, because we never get high scores from our neighbours and still managed to end high this time. That means a lot of countries voted for the song, not for the country it came from. For a little country like Belgium, that's a great honor! Making it into the final was a huge achievement because other countries make it so far each year thanks to the neighbours... for us, it was the first time since they came up with semi finals since 2004!

Yes, it was 6th and not 5th, my mistake :-s