Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hello guys,

i know this is a region spesific thread but since around 34 european countries participate representing about 600.000.000 people i thought its ok

anyhow. this years event is held in Athens. whats ur story about it?
are you passionate about ESC? are you visiting athens for the contest? you dont give a $h!t about the contest? did you try to get a ticket but couldnt get one in time? have u gone to other ESC finals? do you have any favorites??

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/index.htm

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The show is viewed very differently from nation to nation. While many countries have street parties in celebration at the whole event (Germany featuring in this list), others - and most notably the UK - consider it something akin to "car-crash" television ... something that has to be watched for the sheer awfulness of many acts and costumes, usually accompanied by very ironic commentary (which laughs equally at all entries).

There are three stand-out things about this year's contest for me:

1) the worst German entry in living memory (and that really is saying something from the land of Volksmusik)... I would find it strangely satisfying if this faux country&western act wound up scoring the infamous 'nil points"...
2) the fact that Andorra is putting in an appearance for once... it would certainly be ironic to see this tiny nation winning the contest and hosting it next year (although on the basis of its entry, I don't think there's much realistic chance of that happening)...
3) the Russians tried to buy out the Israeli entry, Eddie Butler, offering him a large sum of cash if he would move to Russia and represent them instead. Which surely must be a first and a sign that some nations take this far more seriously than others.

Ultimately, though, there are limitations to how much excitement I can muster for a contest that showcases 'middle of the road' musical tastes... with many of the songs never being heard again after the event.

*drop 2 cents into meter*

hunGreek

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
alex8 said:
and most notably the UK - consider it something akin to "car-crash" television ... something that has to be watched for the sheer awfulness of many acts and costumes, usually accompanied by very ironic commentary (which laughs equally at all entries).

long live the commentary of legendary Terry Wogan!!!

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dr Rock said:
i don't know, but i'm still pretty certain that israel aint in fuckin europe. what's up with that?

The contest relates specifically to those nations which are members of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union), and not to matters of geography. Thus, the influx of East European nations since 1993 came directly as a consequence of the merging of the OIRT (Organisation internationale de radiodiffusion et de télévision) with the EBU ... and not due to EU expansion or anything like that.

While Israel has been a competing member since 1973, it should be noted that EBU membership also gives the right to compete to Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia in the Middle East. I know that Lebanon certainly prepared an entry by singer Sabah in 1973, and I believe that Morocco and Tunisia may have done as well; however, Arab-Israeli political relations stopped any of these entries from being submitted, and all the eligible Arab nations have withheld from submitting any entries subsequently.

Mattness

Expert Member
Media
Kirkland, WA (Outside of Seattle, Washington)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
hunGreek said:
Hello guys,

i know this is a region spesific thread but since around 34 european countries participate representing about 600.000.000 people i thought its ok

anyhow. this years event is held in Athens. whats ur story about it?
are you passionate about ESC? are you visiting athens for the contest? you dont give a $h!t about the contest? did you try to get a ticket but couldnt get one in time? have u gone to other ESC finals? do you have any favorites??

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/index.htm
Great information on the ESC. I don't think most Americans have even heard of it, let alone follow it. I only know it from being a Julio Iglesias fan and that he was in it in 1970. Thanks for sharing!

Max

Sexy Member
Media
hunGreek said:
long live the commentary of legendary Terry Wogan!!!

There is a double irony in the spectacle of Wogan himself: "biting the hand that so lavishly feeds him" (comment in the Times 10 years ago). However it would be pretty much complete social death to admit to watching it here, irony or no irony.

But in some of the newcomer states in Eastern Europe being included and recognised as European matters hugely — even via the Eurovision Song Contest — no way is it good to laugh at that IMHO.

titansg

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From what I remember of it, when I lived in England, It was nothing more than trash tv. The thing that always made it such a joke was the voting. Countries always gave the most votes to the countries they were most friendly with. It actually represented more of a political statement than anything to do with music.
The Balkan states all vote for each other, the scandinavian counties all stick together, Sweden gives 12 points to Norway, so Norway gives 12 to Sweden.
Germany votes for France, France votes for Germany etc etc.....

The Eurovision Song Contest is and always has been a joke, it is totally meaningless and outdated.
Thank God none of the american networks bother to show it.

snobbes

Sexy Member
Media
Thers a lot of really bad music, OK some may B betta than othas:redface: Browsing throu the contestants I will B watching Armenia, Malta,Russia and Israel. What it has to do in this forum I dont know, some of them migth B hung. I'm sure Island has the contestant with the biggest balls... oh sorry I just found out shes a girl not a dragqueen:eek:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's a wonderful institution and plays a huge and vital role by cutting through cultural differences and rivalries fostering harmony and friendship between European countries. But because we all share a love of music this sense of bonhomie spreads to include all citizens of the world. :rolleyes:

warmhorizon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the EVS can be summed up by calling it "Solid Gold Shit!".

I mean please, that a cappella thing with the robot? Or the UKs entry with that instantly hateable white rapper mumbling about the state of British schooling?

Then again Germany's "Singles night at a country and western bar" theme, Norway's beautiful whatever-the-hell-it-was-about song and, of course, Finland's genius turn as the comedy slipknot hard rock ballad were totally inspired. :biggrin1: And Russia's entry, despite the mullet (What were you THINKING!) was actually pretty cool. That bit with the piano. You know what I mean.

Actually, did anyone else think that presenter woman was just trying to hold the show together after loads of technical difficulties? I'm just saying. :smile:

carter2006

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As Alex said, here in the UK, Eurovision is seen not as a serious song competition, but as camp, trashy comic relief. For me, its must-see TV. Its certainly unique and outrageously silly. Sir Terry's commentary is the stuff of legend! And, for the first time in years, I actually liked the UK's entry this year!