Eva Cassidy

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by JustAsking, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JustAsking

Gold Member

Anyone ever heard of this singer?

2. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

She sings Fields of Gold, I like her version better than Sting's

3. londongirl

londongirl New Member

4. danmilan

danmilan Member

She's very famous for having recorded an ethereal version of Somewhere over the Rainbow and having died young... why would you come to this site to find out about her....?

5. JustAsking

Gold Member

Sorry, my opening post is misleading, I think. I know the tragic story about Eva. I think she was an amazing singer. I was wondering how many people have heard of her.

Haha, I didn't actually seek out this site to ask this question. I am here quite frequently in Etc, Etc, and I figured with a forum title like that a question about a singer would not be outrageous. There are a lot of eclectic people here whose opinions I admire. I am curious others share my opinion that she could have been a great talent and very popular.

Interestingly, her posthumous worldwide popularity a few years ago came from a radio host on BBC playing her version of "Rainbow" on his show. Her fame spread from there around the world. We don't usually see singers become overnight successes 5 years after they have died.

6. Shelby

Gold Member

Eva Cassidy has the voice of an angel. I absolutely love her.

7. Nelly Gay

Nelly Gay New Member

She had a curiously affecting voice .

8. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

She's fairly famous over here JA.

10. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, I understand she was featured on a BBC morning show and she became an overnight sensation in England. Then it spread throughout Europe, where she became a big hit posthumously.

Over here, she is known mostly by word of mouth. Also, you hear lots of American Idol contestants singing her versions of songs. But I wouldn't' say she is a household word in the USA.

11. Willy_the_Wonka

Willy_the_Wonka New Member

Albums:
  12. dong20

Gold Member

I must have been living in a cave around that period. I've never heard of her (by name) though listening to the you tube videos I recognise her voice - from the radio I guess.

Then, I've never been good at connecting the dots regarding music to artists with a very few exceptions.

13. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

A read a lot of articles about musicians, and I first heard about her maybe around 2001 or 2002. I find these types of stories fascinating, so I had to hear what she sounded like. I remember getting the CD, putting it on in my car, and I actually got chills.

The combination of her voice, her story, and hearing this voice that was so alive, but the person singing was no longer with us.

The article I read said something different than Wikipedia's version. It said she had melanoma on her back, had it removed, and then never followed up for some reason, and the cancer had spread. According to Wiki, she was diagnosed with advanced cancer, but it leaves out the earlier part.

She isn't very well known here, not a household name by any means, and I most likely never would have heard about her if I hadn't read that article. I've never heard her on the radio.

JA, I have noticed the same thing about American Idol contestants. They imitate her style with certain songs rather than the original; especially "Over the Rainbow". Her phrasing is very unique and unlike Judy Garland or other singers who have recorded it.

14. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember the version of 'Rainbow' being played over here a few years back, they also showcased the video in a popular Music program TOTP2 on BBC2. It was huge, and went straight to the top of the music charts. She has a beautiful voice, so tender and warm.

I love her version of 'Kathy's song'...just so beautiful.

An American folk singer I also adore is Kath Bloom.....'I wanna love' and 'come here' my favourite of her songs, not as well known as Eva, but a unique voice also.

15. Novaboy

Gold Member

Albums:

This is why he posted in the Etc. Etc. forum. I often find that the most interesting posts are here. After you've been here a while, the sex/penis posts tend to get a little "same-ish". In the Etc. Etc. forum, you get to know some really nice people and learn a few things along the way.

Novaboy

16. JustAsking

Gold Member

dan,
    I was already here.

17. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I first heard EC a few years ago and was immediately hooked, but shocked to learn she was no longer alive. Live at Blues Alley (recorded shortly before her passing) is my favorite album and I have them all. Perfect pitch and stunning vocal range. A truly tragic loss, but it's heartening to know she still has such a following 10+ years later. :smile:

18. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    yes, I absolutely love her voice. I use her songs on my myspace page often. Hiopefully, one day i will be able to buy her album. Too bad she passed away so young. She was a great talent.

19. seahorses

seahorses Member

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow muso regarding Eva. He claimed she was a fraud? His theory was, like something out of 1984, she was the invention of the music industry, as opposed to government, and purely for the purposes of making money; nothing galvanises people into parting with it quit like death. He argued that her fame never arose till after she was dead when suddenly there’s this great wealth of her material that industry has at it’s disposal, yet she never once had a hit song of her own, much less recorded one. Why would the industry want to take a chance on an unknown, as all she ever did was solo covers? The ploy was to build the legend first and then feed the music in along the way.

Up to this point I’d been intrigued, but then he said something on the lines of her death being a fake too and that she was probably right now sharing a villa somewhere with Elvis!

20. dolfette

Gold Member

i love her album, songbird.
    one of my most played.

Draft saved Draft deleted