Ever feel that Western Civilization isn't really your bag?

Ldnn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perhaps, although I don't see it as "Where would you be happiest..?" but as "What place or period of history do you really want to experience..?"

For me I find ancient Chinese & Roman history fascinating, aswell as the Crusades and various periods in history which define the map today. The problem with actually living in those times is the squallor many people lived in unless they were of the nobility/upper social classes. I'll probably keep it to my history books:)

Personally though, I'm working to move to Singapore - which is quite a major move with many benefits, not least letting me experience Asia from a nation is arguably more westernised than most in that area of the world.

hockeyguy741

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
life is what you make of it......be thankful for what you have as shitty as it seems to you....there are thousands that would love to be in your shoes

D

deleted213967

Monaco is an expensive place to live. I'm not even sure you could move there.

Like the channel Islands between England and France, you'd need to prove some sort of citizenship and reasons and have lots of money.

:confused22:

I still fail to understand how Monaco doesn't count as Western. Last time I was there, the only Eastern influence I picked up was a plethora of Bahrain license plates in front of the Cartier store.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
On the other hand, I can't deny I'm dismayed by: the absolute obsession with the self at the expsense of the whole, the obnoxious flaunting of wealth (never knew wealth to bring about genuine happiness, and flaunting it only shows insecurities), the celebration of greed (no self-giving for the sake of others), consumerism for its own sake (to buy for buying's sake? How foolish!), willfull ignorance (which is so celebrated) despite opportunity for education, the ever-accelerating pace of life (people are so out of breath mentally and emotionally), over-emphasis on the culture of hyper competetiveness (serious competition is quicksand for unhappiness), mind-numbingly lowbrow print and broadcast entertainment (that one seems to be getting worse by the year).

That's well said, buddy:smile:.

Does anyone stop and think how how detrimental those cultural characteristics are? One is never going to get happy that way. They are poison for the soul.

I'm fighting everyday of my life to not assume those very traits above in bold letters. I just wish a I had a support group.:biggrin1:

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Personally though, I'm working to move to Singapore - which is quite a major move with many benefits, not least letting me experience Asia from a nation is arguably more westernised than most in that area of the world.

You are aware the Singapore is a police state, aren't you?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
On the other hand, I can't deny I'm dismayed by: the absolute obsession with the self at the expsense of the whole, the obnoxious flaunting of wealth, the celebration of greed, consumerism for its own sake, willfull ignorance despite opportunity for education, the ever-accelerating pace of life, over-emphasis on the culture of hyper competetiveness, mind-numbingly lowbrow print and broadcast entertainment (that one seems to be getting worse by the year).

I must agree....

The problem with wealth, safety and comfort is that you lose perspective of what really matters... and how fortunate you are.
When we don't have to fight over survival... we end up quarreling over who has a better car.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Bingo!

You make the place...The place doesn't make you.
That is true to a large degree. We carry our crap around with us. But I think, that for those of us who can make a choice, the place does effect your state of mind. I am much happier living in a culture with a strong street life than in a gated, suburban community. For me, living in a McMansion, on the outskirts of a N. American city would be a death sentence.

Where I live now is like second world with benefits. It IS westernized to a great degree. The infrastructure is pretty good, if a bit rough around the edges. We have sat TV, broadband, A/C and the roads are adequate. But I can also go around the corner to a community tea-house and chat with the neighbors. I get my fresh veggies at the Friday market down the street and watermelons from the little truck cruising the street every evening. There is usually someone making music within earshot of my house. It is also very safe. I really don't worry about getting mugged at night or leaving the door unlocked. I like waking up to the muezzin's call to prayer.

It's not always easy to get what you need or want. There is no yellow pages! You have ask around to get the cousin of your butcher to come to fix the plumbing. Or your co-worker's sister's husband's brother can give you a price on insurance.

I guess the point is that community is easy to find. In fact it's hard to avoid. People are less insular and more polite and more sharing than in the wealthy west.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
Negatives in the West:

instant gratification
self-absorption
materialistic
death seens as taboo
incredible greed

Negatives in the East:

repressing free thought
stifling individualism
discourage equality among men and women (most)
rich doing very little for the poor
tyrannical regimes
maintaining status-quo

That's some pretty huge generalisations you're making, but I see your point. In the west we have more freedom and democracy, and also more wealth (which I presume is what makes you think people are greedier here).
Also because we have had an industrialised society for longer, we have lost some of the sense of community which still exists in rural or non-industrial areas. I don't think that means the west is better or worse, just different.

If I could live anywhere and anywhen, I would choose Scandinavia in about 1100, it was pretty peaceful by then and I bet the proportion of tall slim naturally blonde women would be very high :biggrin1:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
That's some pretty huge generalisations you're making, but I see your point. In the west we have more freedom and democracy, and also more wealth (which I presume is what makes you think people are greedier here).
Also because we have had an industrialised society for longer, we have lost some of the sense of community which still exists in rural or non-industrial areas. I don't think that means the west is better or worse, just different.

If I could live anywhere and anywhen, I would choose Scandinavia in about 1100, it was pretty peaceful by then and I bet the proportion of tall slim naturally blonde women would be very high :biggrin1:

Yes, I've made some very broad generalizations, but sometimes, they are completely acceptable as long as we are well aware of their implications.

Generalizations such as above are often true, but not true true.:biggrin1: