Ever have a near miss almost fatal car accident?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

When I was 8 years old, on my Birthday, my parents took me to Korvettes (a store that people in the Northeast may remember) to buy me a Birthday gift. We were leaving the Blue Star shopping Center on Route 22. The light turned green and we stated to go when all of the sudden an 18 Wheel tractor trailer rush in front of us, just inches from killing us.

Another time when I was driving I was on route 1 North in between New Brunswick and Edison. I was on a bridge and I slid on black ice and did a complete 360. Luckily it was evening and there were no cars in the lanes next to me, and I was lucky not to fall off the bridge.

2. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    I once was in the passenger seat of a friends car, we were at a red light.
    I remember hearing the loudest shriek ever, and then we were airborn...the weightlessness and shattering glass was what I recall the best.

We got hit from behind by a car that lost control, we were launched over a concrete lane devider, over opposing traffic and finally landed in a ditch.
    4 complete rollovers....and surprisingly not a scratch on both of us.

If the car that rear-ended us had hit up a few more feet I would have gotten the whole brunt of the impact, probably killing or paralyzing me for life.

I did have a good laugh,we crawled out of the car, a few minutes later some people came over and asked us if the people in the accident were dead...I guess it looked even worse from the outside. hehe

3. got_lost

Gold Member

My closest happened the Thursday before Easter 2002.

I was driving south on the M5 motorway, had just overtaken a lorry. I looked in my rear view mirror and the lorry was sideways on the motorway, drove straight through the central reservation, literally bounced on top of one car whilst another drive straight into it's side and careered off the road into a field.

I saw the whole thing happen and knew it was a fatal accident. The sole occupant of the first car died in the helicopter on the way to hospital. The driver of the 2nd car was decaptitated and the passenger, his wife had to sit beside him for 4 hours while they cut her out.

The driver of the lorry was uninjured. He had lost concentration and veered towards a VW camper van parked on the hard shoulder. His sudden reaction to that near miss caused him to swerve too hard across the motorway.

I was the first to call it in to the emergency services and apparently was able to give the most detailed account, eventhough it was all over in a matter of seconds.

Each time I over took a lorry after that I would count the seconds until it was the same distance behind me as when I first saw it sideways on. I have never got past 2 seconds........

Had I been just a tad slower, or later leaving home that day, I would have been the first fatality, though maybe the only one as it may have stopped him taking out the oncoming traffic too.....

4. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep. I typed out the whole story here, then erased it. Decided it'd be bad karma even to speak of it.

5. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I've had two near misses.

First: Driving home from college. It was an unusually cold day that came after a good snow fall followed by partial melt so many of the roads were sheets of ice. I was approaching an intersection and the light turned amber then red. I tried braking slowly but went into a slide. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop to I laid on my horn so people would see I was sliding. Thankfully it worked.

Second: I went night skiing. Coming down the mountain going around a downhill curve I realized I was going to fast and applied the brakes slowly. As I came out of the curve I did two 360s and came to a stop at the side of the road facing down hill. The engine had stopped and it was pitch black and absolutely silent. On the left side of the road was a rock cliff without any barrier. If I had gone over that cliff I would have dropped a few hundred feet.

6. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    in my past life I died in a car accident:wink:

7. got_lost

Gold Member

Oh bloody hell!!! :eek: Don't say that!! :frown1:

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I think you are confusing Superstition with Karma.

9. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    About 6 years ago, I was heading north with my 90 bonneville, snowing like a bitch, and I was cookin along northbound on I75 at around 60-65mph.
    My car tracks like a tank in snow, and so I was pretty confident.
    Suddenly this asswiple in a caddilac flew by me doing about 80-100mph.
    I said...that prick is gonna wipe out and hit somebody.
    Sure enough not even a 1/16 mile a head of me, he starts to fishtail, fumbles with his boat of a car, and then smacks into the overpass guard rail, then spins back into the expressway right at me.
    I hit my breaks and steered hard opposite of his spin out direction, whipped it back, punched the gas and my bonneville bit into the snow like a dog to a mailman.
    He missed me by about a foot, but he would have taken me out as he was going at least 40 across the expressway in a sideways slide. He ended up slamming into the opposite overpass concrete wall, and I kept going.

With Winter approaching, The best advice I can give anybody, is If your going to hit somebody try to hit them Square - does less damage. Also, if you know your going to get hit, don't freak out. Instead Get PISSED and take command of that car with a vengence. Don't go down without a fight.
    Don't fight the car either, but react on where it's going, and what you need to do to keep from further damage to yourself or the car.

Hard Breaking helps you steer.
    I really wish one of the requirements of getting a drivers license was Defensive/evasive maneuvers.
    Honestly - don't you think if people were trained better on how to react to an auto accident that less accidents would occur? If not less accidents, then Less damage?
    The way I look at it is, Less Damage = fewer life threatning injuries = Less insurance premiums and medical premium coverage.
    Just my .02

10. got_lost

Gold Member

Completely agree with you there.
    Cos I was doing 30,000 - 40,000 miles a year I got all the extra driver training and defensive training I could get, even getting my advaced drivers cert.

Everyone should have a day out on the skid pan to learn how to deal with skidding... would save thousands of lives a year, especially their own!

11. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I died in a car accident, but after I got helicoptered to a shock trauma center they brought me back.

Mason walks.

12. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

none i would term near fatal, but damn scary.

doing spins on the baltimore beltway, and i mean several complete turns into the side of bridge, is scary. it was iced up. same with sliding down washington blvd in arlington va into 13 cars piled up in an intersection.

winter sucks my ass and not in a good way.

13. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I guess being born 3 months premature is a metaphoric car accident.

I was also cycling in a forest one time and skidded, with my leg and the bike basically on the ground. Skidded down this slope and went over the edge of a sheer 20ft drop. The back tyre snagged on a bush (big bush obviously). I pulled myself back up, and looked at the drop :eek:. I'd always hated that bike too...guess it came in useful. I was around 9-10 at the time :redface:. It all happened very fast.

One time my mum's car skidded on an icy road and spun 720 degrees. Luckily it didn't hit anything.

14. simcha

Gold Member

Yeah, and it was horrible.

I had just moved here to Oakland. I mean I had lived here only for a month or so. I knew almost nobody yet. I just started school and a new job. I had a Saturn SL1 that was basically new.

I was returning home at 2:30am from a new acquaintance's house. And this will reveal that I'm a real geek. He was actually showing me his new 3D Animation program and we got carried away with the program and lost track of the time.

I was headed down a 25mph road. I was going around 25mph. There was a car, I could tell it was going fast heading my direction on the opposite side of the road. I watched it but didn't think anything of it because people speed sometimes. Well, at the last minute as it's getting close, all I remember is seeing headlights and the windshield crack in slow motion.

I don't remember blacking out but I must have because the next thing I remember was having the airbag in my face. I started to push it down and all of this stuff (I thought it was smoke) was swirling all around me. I realized by the smell it was the powder in the airbag. I thought my car had been running so I tried to put the car in park, and tried to remove the keys. I finally got the keys out. I opened my door to horror.

I stepped out of my car and surveyed the wreckage (that's right I walked out of my car). My entire front end was gone. There was fluid everywhere. The other car was a giant old Buick. It's front end was totally smashed. There were people getting out of the car. People in the neighborhood were helping the other people in the other car. They were removing baggies of white stuff and various other drug paraphernalia. One of the guys was on the ground bleeding from his head. I volunteered to call 911. As soon as I volunteered to do that I became the enemy. See, I was white in an all-black neighborhood in Oakland. People in Oakland HATE the police with good reason and I didn't know that at the time.

So, as I called 911 and reported the accident and that there were injuries and we needed an ambulance, the people in the neighborhood were helping the passengers and the driver in the other car to hide in houses in the neighborhood. I was in shock. I noticed that my knees were bleeding. I had a headache.

The people in the neighborhood were starting to surround me in a circle. I called 911 again telling them that if they didn't get there soon I wasn't sure I'd be left standing or conscious because I was being threatened. Suddenly the police, fire truck, and ambulance came onto the scene. I was whisked into the ambulance. They tried to inform me that I was hurt and that I should lay back and let them help me. Also they tried to get me to stop talking on my phone. I called my Mom. Like I said, I knew no one in Oakland really and I didn't have the number handy for the aquaintance I had just left (he was car-less anyway).

I got to the hospital. They did x-rays, cleaned my knees, and gave me a general physical. I noticed I had a bruise on my forehead from the airbag and that the seatbelt badly bruised my waist and my trunk. Both devices saved my life. Also my right wrist hurt from being bent by the airbag on impact.

A police officer came into my room at the emergency room. He told me, "I need to shake your hand." We shook hands and I asked, "Why?" He replied, "You should be dead. Do you realize that you were pushed 15 feet backward from the direction you were headed?" I was stunned.

He proceded to tell me that he estimated that I was going about 25 mph at impact and the other car was going 50 mph. So, the impact was a 75mph impact. Part of my engine was in the passenger's seat and I must have pulled to the left at the last minute because most of the force of the impact was on the passenger's side. He told me that they had also hit two parked cars. Also, no one in the neighborhood would provide information on the where-abouts of the people in the other car. Even the people who owned the other two cars that were totalled wouldn't offer information. Also I was informed that the other car had no license plates.

I had no way of getting home and I didn't know where I was since I didn't know where any hospitals were in relation to where I lived at the time. A nice nurse volunteered to drive me home after her shift was over, since they needed to keep me until then for observation.

She drove me home. I called my Mom to tell her I was fine. I went to school the next day. I found out later that the other car was stolen. My insurance company took care of the bills because it was ruled a "hit and run." It made my rates sky-rocket.

All I could think was, "Welcome to California."

15. lorne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    missed a deer one night and swerved and ended up spinning 4 times as 3 cars dodged to avoid me and i tried to avoid going under th back end of a semi. I ended up facing the 3 on coming traffic. I end up stalling out and having to get her to start so I could gun my self into the ditch so I wouldn't get hit by the next wave of traffic. I shook for like the next 3 hours of driving and did so in silence I had lost my taste for loud music that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted