Everyone showing class...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stratedude, Nov 5, 2008.

1. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    First of all I'd like to congratulate President elect Obama.

The first thing I got to hear after the results was Obama's speech. I really appreciated a number of things he said in it. One was his use of the word humility, which is very important to say to the huge numbers of liberals for whom a presidential victory was not going to be enough for them. I was very surprised and gracious not only that he mentioned the troops fighting overseas but that they "were fighting for our freedom". That was a huge statement for me, because Barack had always said that he felt that we were in Iraq for nothing. I also liked how he talked to those that didn't vote for him and especially how he talked about McCain.

The next thing I got to hear was this morning - reports about a conversation between GW Bush and Barack Obama. Apparently it was a very nice conversation. He congratulated Obama, offered words of wisdom, and invited him to take an early tour of his future home when he was ready. That is class considering what most of us would expect, especially considering a text message my cousin received from his liberal friend that said they were organizing a team of volunteers to go to washington to, quote "move Bush's belongings the fuck out of the white house."

And last, I did not get to hear any of McCain's concession speech, but from all the reports I have heard, including those here at LPSG, it seem that in typical McCain fashion, he too showed a whole lot of class.

As someone that is very in tune with the conservative base, this is no surprise to me. There are certain actions that I have seen coming from liberals over the past 8 years that I would never personally condone, and that I think goes against the morals and ideals of conservativism in general. Yes, you'll find idiots on the right that say things that are totally classless, but I would be quick to condemn them. You'll also find plenty of idiots on the left that I hope you don't condone as well. I'm not sure if I've see adequate condemnation but that is a difference between the sides we'll just have to accept.

Another major difference between the sides is that most of us conservatives, regardless of how bad or good Obama will be as president, will always accept him as OUR president. That is real patriotism and shows respect for democracy. We recognize the difference between dissent and divide. We recognize that some statements when heard abroad, make America look bad. You will not see that out of us very often, and when it does happen, you'll see condemnation.

As for Obama - I really liked his speech last night, just like I really liked his speech in 2004. I just hope he focuses on rhetoric and less on executing any policies because he is very motivational. I even voted for him over Hillary in the primary. Why? Because the "Jeremiah Wright" explosion had not happened yet. It was his primetime speech about that that turned me off the most, actually was a deal-ender for me. I hope he learned his lesson there and changes and turns out to be the race-uniter I THOUGHT he was in the 2004 speech. I guess we'll see.

Anyway congrats to President elect Obama.

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

somewhat off-topic

but Bloomberg reports one of O's first order of business will be a review of technology and free speech (including the concentrated acquisition of media), ensuring impediments are removed

so far, so good

3. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've heard reports that McCain himself might even have a position in the Obama administration...as will other Republicans who are good at what they do...

I am optimistic that the upcoming administration will put this country back on track to greatness...

4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    There's a whiff of damnation by faint praise there, stratedude, but thankyou nonetheless. If McCain had won, I would have done my best to get behind him (although Palin would have made my stomach turn for four years as Cheney has for 8) and I would have given him the respect due the office as my president. McCain's speech was gracious in the extreme last night.

Let's let bygones be bygones and for the country, let the work, and with the leeching away of the emotion of the election, healing begin.

5. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

Yesterday was one of the most stressful days of my life.. also one of the Happiest.
    You can blame John McCains loss on his staff and Sarah Palin. For running a very ugly race in a time that America did not want or need to hear that kind of campaign.
    I thought his closing speech was great. That was John McCain, not that douche bag attack dog that we have been seeing the last year or so.

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Me too DJG, I think that some of the LSD I took in the 80's leaked into my system yesterday... I felt like I was trippin' fairly hard.

The most important thing that Republicans and conservatives need to realize is that Obama is a CENTRIST and will listen to you guys and incorporate y'all into the government of the future. He will be sensitive to your needs and points of view... you have nothing to worry about.

The following is an excerpt from an interview of Bradford Berenson (Harvard Law, class of '91; associate White House counsel, 2001-'03) by Frontline talking about Obama's stint as the president of the Harvard Law Review:

I think Barack took 10 times as much grief from those on the left on the Review as from those of us on the right. And the reason was, I think there was an expectation among those editors on the left that he would affirmatively use the modest powers of his position to advance the cause, whatever that was. They thought, you know, finally there's an African American president of the Harvard Law Review; it's our turn, and he should aggressively use this position, and his authority and his bully pulpit to advance the political or philosophical causes that we all believe in... and Barack was reluctant to do that. It's not that he was out of sympathy with their views, but his first and foremost goal, it always seemed to me, was to put out a first-rate publication. And he was not going to let politics or ideology get in the way of doing that...

He had some discretion as president to exercise an element of choice for certain of the positions on the masthead; it wasn't wide discretion, but he had some. And I think a lot of the minority editors on the Review expected him to use that discretion to the maximum extent possible to empower them. To put them in leadership positions, to burnish their resumes, and to give them a chance to help him and help guide the Review. He didn't do that. He declined to exercise that discretion to disrupt the results of votes or of tests that were taken by various people to assess their fitness for leadership positions.

He was unwilling to undermine, based on the way I viewed it, meritocratic outcomes or democratic outcomes in order to advance a racial agenda. That earned him a lot of recrimination and criticism from some on the left, particularly some of the minority editors of the Review...

It confirmed the hope that I and others had had at the time of the election that he would basically be an honest broker, that he would not let ideology or politics blind him to the enduring institutional interests of the Review. It told me that he valued the success of his own presidency of the Review above scoring political points of currying favor with his political supporters.

This is another excerpt from that Frontline editorial piece featuring one of the African American members of the law review pontificating on how Barack's leadership was wise and sound:

Christine Spurell (Harvard Law, class of '91) and now a lawyer in Virginia said that, "Now, as you may know, I had personal hopes for my own future on the Law Review. I was kind of hoping to get a masthead position, and I did not get a masthead position. So we went from the high of having Barack elected -- now, this is just me speaking, as at the time I was a very narrow-minded, almost radical student. I was 22 years old at this point, so I kind of saw everything in terms of race. I try not to do that anymore."

"So I did assume I would get the position that I thought I had coming. I [did] think I had earned it as far as the quality of my work. But I'll tell you now, I had not earned it as far as the quality of my diplomacy with the other students. ... He did know I was a hard worker, that he did know. That's why I felt betrayed, because I worked so hard. I pulled so many all-nighters, I thought I should be rewarded. But he put the good of the Law Review ahead of my agenda. That's what makes him such a great leader..."

#6 tripod, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well said, stratedude. Evidently there are those who will continue grinding their heels into Bush-Cheney and McCain-Palin, but so be it. Obama-Biden has won a hard-fought election and it's now time for them to deliver for the American people.

While those who supported President-elect Obama deserve to revel in their victory, we have very, very big problems ahead that we must face together, else we fail. President Bush and Senator McCain have both graciously and honorably set the tone for the transition. Here's hoping President Obama will choose to govern from where he campaigned: the center. Despite what the mass celebrations may lead one to believe, it was not a 50-state rout and there is still a lot of red on the electoral map. Advancing a far-left agenda will do nothing to move the nation beyond the divisiveness in which we currently languish. We will soon know whether President Obama is truly a transformational figure in American politics.

As he said in his victory speech, "And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too". Well, Mr. Obama, we number 55 million plus -- I sincerely hope you keep your word.

8. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched it all as the results came in. At around 11 PM or so EST in the US, they declared Obama as President Elect.

I also watched John McCain's speech and he was most definitely gracious in it, and also praised Obama and how he (McCain) would support him as President. It truly was McCain at his best; he was likeable in this speech. I wish I saw more of that during his "run" and I wish he didn't pick Palin as his running mate. That was very "UnMcCain".

I also watched Obama's speech and as usual, Obama is at his best when he is giving a speech. He knows how to work the crowd and his words were truly inspirational. Any candidate that gets in there should not be expected to solve everything overnight; we all know what a mess we are all in now.

That text message you talk about...........

"especially considering a text message my cousin received from his liberal friend that said they were organizing a team of volunteers to go to washington to, quote "move Bush's belongings the fuck out of the white house."

I also received it from a friend of mine, did it also say he or she volunteered you for the 8-3 shift or something to that effect? If that is the case, that text message obviously made it all over. I am from Massachusetts and I see you are Ohio.

Needless to say, we are all excited about watching Bush finally get out of his office!

Draft saved Draft deleted