Everything Seemingly Is Spinning Out of Control

That's the headline of the strangest article I've read in a while. Do you have a sense of pending doom? Do things seem as bad as all that? I talk to people, read the news, and suddenly my survivalist friend with 9 guns and a cache of MREs doesn't seem so nuts any more. Economists darkly predict disaster, gas prices are expected to rise to $5.00 a gallon by the end of the summer, there may be a nuclear attack on Iran, our government displays no leadership what-so-ever, prices are soaring as the dollar plummets, and unemployment is rising.

Am I just paranoid? I know I tend to be fearful and yet it seems many other people, even former Fed Chairman Greenspan, think we're on the edge of a major economic and social meltdown we haven't seen since the Great Depression. What do you think?

By ALAN FRAM and EILEEN PUTMAN, Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON - Is everything spinning out of control?

Midwestern levees are bursting. Polar bears are adrift. Gas prices are skyrocketing. Home values are abysmal. Air fares, college tuition and health care border on unaffordable. Wars without end rage in Iraq, Afghanistan and against terrorism.

Horatio Alger, twist in your grave.

The can-do, bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche is under assault. Eroding it is a dour powerlessness that is chipping away at the country's sturdy conviction that destiny can be commanded with sheer courage and perseverance.

The sense of helplessness is even reflected in this year's presidential election. Each contender offers a sense of order — and hope. Republican John McCain promises an experienced hand in a frightening time. Democrat Barack Obama promises bright and shiny change, and his large crowds believe his exhortation, "Yes, we can."

Even so, a battered public seems discouraged by the onslaught of dispiriting things. An Associated Press-Ipsos poll says a barrel-scraping 17 percent of people surveyed believe the country is moving in the right direction. That is the lowest reading since the survey began in 2003.

An ABC News-Washington Post survey put that figure at 14 percent, tying the low in more than three decades of taking soundings on the national mood.

"It is pretty scary," said Charles Truxal, 64, a retired corporate manager in Rochester, Minn. "People are thinking things are going to get better, and they haven't been. And then you go hide in your basement because tornadoes are coming through. If you think about things, you have very little power to make it change."

Recent natural disasters around the world dwarf anything afflicting the U.S. Consider that more than 69,000 people died in the China earthquake, and that 78,000 were killed and 56,000 missing from the Myanmar cyclone.
Americans need do no more than check the weather, look in their wallets or turn on the news for their daily reality check on a world gone haywire.
Floods engulf Midwestern river towns. Is it global warming, the gradual degradation of a planet's weather that man seems powerless to stop or just a freakish late-spring deluge?

It hardly matters to those in the path. Just ask the people of New Orleans who survived Hurricane Katrina. They are living in a city where, 1,000 days after the storm, entire neighborhoods remain abandoned, a national embarrassment that evokes disbelief from visitors.

Food is becoming scarcer and more expensive on a worldwide scale, due to increased consumption in growing countries such as China and India and rising fuel costs. That can-do solution to energy needs — turning corn into fuel — is sapping fields of plenty once devoted to crops that people need to eat. Shortages have sparked riots. In the U.S., rice prices tripled and some stores rationed the staple.

Residents of the nation's capital and its suburbs repeatedly lose power for extended periods as mere thunderstorms rumble through. In California, leaders warn people to use less water in the unrelenting drought.
Want to get away from it all? The weak U.S. dollar makes travel abroad forbiddingly expensive. To add insult to injury, some airlines now charge to check luggage.

Want to escape on the couch? A writers' strike halted favorite TV shows for half a season. The newspaper on the table may soon be a relic of the Internet age. Just as video stores are falling by the wayside as people get their movies online or in the mail.

But there's always sports, right?

The moorings seem to be coming loose here, too.

Baseball stars Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens stand accused of enhancing their heroics with drugs. Basketball referees are suspected of cheating.
Stay tuned for less than pristine tales from the drug-addled Tour de France and who knows what from the Summer Olympics.

It's not the first time Americans have felt a loss of control.

Alger, the dime-novel author whose heroes overcame adversity to gain riches and fame, played to similar anxieties when the U.S. was becoming an industrial society in the late 1800s.

American University historian Allan J. Lichtman notes that the U.S. has endured comparable periods and worse, including the economic stagflation (stagnant growth combined with inflation) and Iran hostage crisis of 1980; the dawn of the Cold War, the Korean War and the hysterical hunts for domestic Communists in the late 1940s and early 1950s; and the Depression of the 1930s.

"All those periods were followed by much more optimistic periods in which the American people had their confidence restored," he said. "Of course, that doesn't mean it will happen again."

Each period also was followed by a change in the party controlling the White House.

This period has seen intense interest in the presidential primaries, especially the Democrats' five-month duel between Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Records were shattered by voters showing up at polling places, yearning for a voice in who will next guide the country as it confronts the uncontrollable.

Never mind that their views of their current leaders are near rock bottom, reflecting a frustration with Washington's inability to solve anything. President Bush barely gets the approval of three in 10 people, and it's even worse for the Democratic-led Congress.

Why the vulnerability? After all, this is the 21st century, not a more primitive past when little in life was assured. Surely people know how to fix problems now.

Maybe. And maybe this is what the 21st century will be about — a great unraveling of some things long taken for granted. -AP via Yahoo!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My favorite quote is "air fare, college tuition and health care border on unaffordable." Border? They jumped the fucking fence ages ago and have since run miles away from the border, they're in Unaffordableland as we speak, having a good unaffordable time.

And what does the article mean by "polar bears are adrift?" Are they floating on ice islands?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They said Bush would ruin this country. I think we are headed for a depression, and the Government is telling us lies.

But I do not fear impending doom, I am an optimist by nature.

They said Bush would ruin this country. I think we are headed for a depression, and the Government is telling us lies.

But I do not fear impending doom, I am an optimist by nature.

You're moving to Florida! Talk about impending doom...

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What do you think?

What do I think? That the doomsayers have had a lock on the news for eons because that’s what sells. There’s plenty of news from the other side but what fun is good news?

That aside, I keep a personal arsenal for A) weekend fun, and B) just in case society does flip-out one day.

zumzum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
and we're not at the beginning yet guys

now Iran is getting hotter

I think we could be on the brink of a third world war, or something like that, all that mess in the middle east and poor country is going to shift toward west

and people not daring criticize their government choices (everywhere, in the US and Europe) are guilty, as if we hadn't voted for them

they got rid of basic rights, they're going to get rid of freedom of speech, you can't even send an mp3 by email that's illegal, and you find people who support the majoir in that cause against freedom, what do you expect then?!

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
I don't think you're paranoid. Alot of badness is happening at once and it's easy to feel as if the world is spinning down the drain. But times of turmoil are not uncommon throughout history. While things are shite over here in America, other parts of the world might not be feeling it the same. I know when I was in Japan, the price of gas didn't change over a three month period. It was more expensive than here but there are environmental reasons for discouraging motorists from going crazy at the pump. The country is also experiencing an economic upswing. As is China. Meanwhile, third-world countries are still suffering much worse than anything we've experienced here.

My point is, most of us have lived in the US during a comfortable time. Now that the water is rough, it may seem like the ship is about to sink. All storms pass, however, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We are lucky that we are not in a country where we are starving and have no means of getting food or clean water for ourselves and our family.

We are lucky that we do not have to cross the border, and end up dead from thirst in the desert, to earn money to put a new tin roof on a shack.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Greek, I'm extremely offended that you posted a link to an article that's been floating all over the internet for two days. Shame.

Hugo, post#10 wins the award for most sensible, logical post in this thread.

I don't think you're paranoid. Alot of badness is happening at once and it's easy to feel as if the world is spinning down the drain. But times of turmoil are not uncommon throughout history. While things are shite over here in America, other parts of the world might not be feeling it the same. I know when I was in Japan, the price of gas didn't change over a three month period. It was more expensive than here but there are environmental reasons for discouraging motorists from going crazy at the pump. The country is also experiencing an economic upswing. As is China. Meanwhile, third-world countries are still suffering much worse than anything we've experienced here.

My point is, most of us have lived in the US during a comfortable time. Now that the water is rough, it may seem like the ship is about to sink. All storms pass, however, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

This era reminds me a great deal of the 70s complete with dodgy presidents, oil crises, Iranian issues, vicious left/right politics, an unpopular war, inflation and stagflation, recession, airplane hijackings and terrorism, environmental, minority, and gay activism, resurgent Russia and China, and social upheaval. The only thing lacking is rollerdisco! For those of you who didn't live in those days, that's the 70s you didn't see on That 70s Show. The parallels are kind of uncanny and not in a good way.

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
But what happened after the 70s? The roaring 80s! Eventually we got to the 90s and things were all good. This current crapfest of events will pass like all the ones before it and we'll experience a boom once again. And then another crapfest. Followed by more booming. Then the second coming of Jesus Christ. Than a lull as the world rebuilds. Then another upswing.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This era reminds me a great deal of the 70s complete with dodgy presidents, oil crises, Iranian issues, vicious left/right politics, an unpopular war, inflation and stagflation, recession, airplane hijackings and terrorism, environmental, minority, and gay activism, resurgent Russia and China, and social upheaval. The only thing lacking is rollerdisco! For those of you who didn't live in those days, that's the 70s you didn't see on That 70s Show. The parallels are kind of uncanny and not in a good way.

Yeah but what’s different this time around is we have a Ronald Reagan type in the White House and not a Obama Carter, oops, I mean Jimmy Carter type. If there is a god I prey we don’t get another liberal-without-a-clue leading things here and if there ever was one it’s Jimmy and his friend Obama.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah but what’s different this time around is we have a Ronald Reagan type in the White House and not a Obama Carter, oops, I mean Jimmy Carter type. If there is a god I prey we don’t get another liberal-without-a-clue leading things here and if there ever was one it’s Jimmy and his friend Obama.

Reagan had better advisors than Bush. Bush is not so smart. He clamped down on the White House openness. What happens after the administration is finished will be interesting.

It's a pity to be so sure of yourself (or full of yourself) when things go wrong.

Carter? He tried to please everyone and got nowhere because he didn't want to upset anyone. Billy Carter might have been better.

Last edited:

No, that would be the 80s. Bush is no Reagan by any means. All politics aside, Regan had outstanding leadership and communications qualities. He was genial, well-spoken, had the respect of foreign leaders, had enormous respect for the constitution and office of President, and managed to keep us out of war with the USSR. Bush is doing what Carter did in his later days, sequestering himself to the Rose Garden to wonder how it all went so wrong.