Everything Seemingly Is Spinning Out of Control

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, that would be the 80s. Bush is no Reagan by any means. All politics aside, Regan had outstanding leadership and communications qualities. He was genial, well-spoken, had the respect of foreign leaders, had enormous respect for the constitution and office of President, and managed to keep us out of war with the USSR. Bush is doing what Carter did in his later days, sequestering himself to the Rose Garden to wonder how it all went so wrong.

The difference is that Carter is a good man and Bush is not.

Bush Jr. will go down as out worst President...

I just found this online:

Carter does have a number of major and lasting achievements.

(1) Energy. After a 65 percent increase per year in crude oil imports from 1973-1976, Carter was able to reduce imports by 1.8 million barrels per day - something none of his successors acheived. It was Carter who established the Dept of Energy, fuel efficiency standards, the Alaskan pipeline and the strategic petrolum reserves.

(2) Foreign Policy. Carter's making human rights a central part of foreign policy and a vital part of the US-USSR competition gave life to dissident movements behind the Iron Curtain that ultimately would mature into the movements that brought down the Berlin Wall and the USSR.

His Camp David achievement is monumental, in part because of how close it came to not happening, and it has formed the basis for all future middle east solutions.

His transfer of the Panama Canal sent a powerful message to Latin America that Yanqui gunboat diplomacy was a thing of the past (of course until he lost and it was reinstated under the Reagan-Bush administrations).

And it was Carter who established formal diplomatic relations with China.

(3) Deregulation. Carter started the deregulation movement that continued into the Reagan administration - which brought price competition back to the airline industry.

(4) Environment. Carter set aside more land for preservation than any prior president and created the Superfund to fund contamination clean up.

Carter is a far better ex-president, but he was by no means the worst president. At least not now.

I'll agree with you there Mem save for that bit about airline deregulation. That was, and is, an unmitigated disaster for the flying public.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Reagan had better advisors than Bush. Bush is not so smart. He clamped down on the White House openness. What happens after the administration is finished will be interesting.

It's a pity to be so sure of yourself (or full of yourself) when things go wrong.

Carter? He tried to please everyone and got nowhere because he didn't want to upset anyone. Billy Carter might have been better.

I agree it will be interesting what happens after Bush and pray it’s McCain

Regarding openness I don’t think Bush had a choice. We live in a society that has had it so good for so long the sheeple don’t know what the real world is like and I fully believe George Bush and his puppet masters George Sr. & Dick Cheney do. Instead of fucking around doing nothing and explaining things for years (like Bill Clinton did) they are doing what has needed too be done for years.

I will even go so far as to say Hillary knows what the world is all about as well and although she needed to pander to her base to get elected, she would like George play hardball in international affairs when necessary had she taken the White House.

I fear this country’s outcome if Obama does as every two-bit hack both friend and foe alike will walk all over that weak puppy.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^Although I agree with your sentiment that Obama sometimes seems weak and timid, I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if John GWB jr. jr. "Constantly-misspeaks" Mccain would get elected. Sometimes he doesn't even seem to be in his right mind. As pre-meditated as his speeches are, he still stumbles through them almost incoherently. I don't mean this as a joke but he shows symptoms of early Alzheimers. Competency aside, I worry if he's even healthy enough to endure one year of presidency, let alone four.

Media
It seems to me the poorer countries during these questionable times are always the hardest hit.

The floods in our Midwestern states, skin cancer, the earthquake is China, the hole in the ozone, the polar bears literally drowning because they no place to rest because all the ice is melting!

I do believe the Earth in the midst of crisis.

I heard someone mention on the news that people now seriously consider what we are experiencing is the beginning of the end of days.

I just hope I have the appropriate shoes for it.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No, that would be the 80s. Bush is no Reagan by any means. All politics aside, Regan had outstanding leadership and communications qualities. He was genial, well-spoken, had the respect of foreign leaders, had enormous respect for the constitution and office of President, and managed to keep us out of war with the USSR. Bush is doing what Carter did in his later days, sequestering himself to the Rose Garden to wonder how it all went so wrong.

No, that would still be the 70’s i.e. the Carter years and prior I was speaking about.

Reagan was a god as Presidents go and belongs on Mt. Rushmore imo. Besides the economic marvel known as Reaganomics, he not only kept us out of war with the USSR as you mentioned, he broke their back with massive military spending while letting other players like those in the Middle East know clearly Don't Tread on Me bitches and George in the same fashion has reminded the bitches that saying still applies. We may not be seeing a lot of George right now but he is no Jimmy carter as the world is still seeing George where it counts to say the least.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Suck it up, Princess. I think we've had it too good for too long. There will be an "adjustment" to the worlds economy fairly soon. The question is will we learn anything useful from it or continue on with our blatant disregard for history?

I'm worried about our future. On another site, the same people complaining about the economy and talking about how "hard it is" were the same ones bragging about getting a new Sprint 3G phone. It isn't just the government, its poor decision-making and superficiality that's led us where we are. People who make 7 dollars an hour rack up credit debt cuz they HAVE to have a plasma, HAVE to have a camera/toaster/web-browser/GPS/turbo phone.

You hear all about the housing/credit crisis but I see Mack and Fendi's doors are still open, people are stopping shopping for Prada and flat-screen tvs. People living above their means is an epidemic that I fear won't fade anytime soon.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Voodoo Economics

A slanderous term used by President George H. W. Bush in reference to President Reagan's economic policies known as Reaganomics.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm worried about our future. On another site, the same people complaining about the economy and talking about how "hard it is" were the same ones bragging about getting a new Sprint 3G phone. It isn't just the government, its poor decision-making and superficiality that's led us where we are. People who make 7 dollars an hour rack up credit debt cuz they HAVE to have a plasma, HAVE to have a camera/toaster/web-browser/GPS/turbo phone.

You hear all about the housing/credit crisis but I see Mack and Fendi's doors are still open, people are stopping shopping for Prada and flat-screen tvs. People living above their means is an epidemic that I fear won't fade anytime soon.

No shit, Sherlock? Everyone down here is complaining about housing affordability, for example. And this sounds like a real generation crisis where the baby boomers want to hang onto there inflated housing values but then complain to the government that there kids can't afford to buy their first home. But then the average first home buyers home is at least 3 bedroom brick on a quarter acre with at least two bathrooms, a double garage, stainless steel kitchen and central heating/air conditioning.

Their parents would have had to make do with a two bedroom weatherboard with an outdoor dunny. (You'd be amazed at how many outside toilets still existed in Australian up to the 1980's.)

Perspective, people, perspective.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No shit, Sherlock? Everyone down here is complaining about housing affordability, for example. And this sounds like a real generation crisis where the baby boomers want to hang onto there inflated housing values but then complain to the government that there kids can't afford to buy their first home. But then the average first home buyers home is at least 3 bedroom brick on a quarter acre with at least two bathrooms, a double garage, stainless steel kitchen and central heating/air conditioning.

Their parents would have had to make do with a two bedroom weatherboard with an outdoor dunny. (You'd be amazed at how many outside toilets still existed in Australian up to the 1980's.)

Perspective, people, perspective.

Very true, another problem contributing to this is people having babies they literally can't afford. Somebody has to pay for those diapers, and its often not the girl who spread her legs or the guy who busted a nut, its people who can't afford to feed their own selves, but make just a little over the amount allowed for aid. The most aid goes to people who dig their own graves, while the rest of us get caught in the downslide.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The difference is that Carter is a good man and Bush is not.

Not in my eyes

Energy. After a 65 percent increase per year in crude oil imports from 1973-1976, Carter was able to reduce imports by 1.8 million barrels per day - something none of his successors achieved. It was Carter who established the Dept of Energy, fuel efficiency standards, the Alaskan pipeline and the strategic petroleum reserves.

A bunch of nothings here except I will give him one for the Strategic Petroleum Reserves.

Foreign Policy. Carter's making human rights a central part of foreign policy and a vital part of the US-USSR competition gave life to dissident movements behind the Iron Curtain that ultimately would mature into the movements that brought down the Berlin Wall and the USSR.

This one is absurd! Carter had zero to with the Iron Curtain falling. Many historians say it was destined to fall under the USSR’s own weight of economic failure and many others will say it was Ronald Reagan’s massive military spending that was the final straw but I don’t think you will find a sane historian that will say Carter had anything to do with it.

His Camp David achievement is monumental, in part because of how close it came to not happening, and it has formed the basis for all future middle east solutions.

He helped restore ties between Egypt & Israel and good for him for doing that.

His transfer of the Panama Canal sent a powerful message to Latin America that Yanqui gunboat diplomacy was a thing of the past (of course until he lost and it was reinstated under the Reagan-Bush administrations).

The liberals love the scary words “gunboat diplomacy” like they are bad words but the unfortunate reality of the world is gunboat diplomacy is sometimes needed period. Preaching peace and sitting around a campfire at Camp David singing “kum ba ya my lord” just doesn’t always cut it as history has proven since the beginning of history.

And it was Carter who established formal diplomatic relations with China.

They were well underway long before Carter, Nixon gets credit for this one.

Deregulation. Carter started the deregulation movement that continued into the Reagan administration - which brought price competition back to the airline industry.
Environment. Carter set aside more land for preservation than any prior president and created the Superfund to fund contamination clean up.

Good ones here

Carter is a far better ex-president, but he was by no means the worst president. At least not now.

Not even close being as good of a president as George Bush is. We gotta be fair and take a look at George a couple of decades after his Presidency.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
^Although I agree with your sentiment that Obama sometimes seems weak and timid, I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if John GWB jr. jr. "Constantly-misspeaks" Mccain would get elected. Sometimes he doesn't even seem to be in his right mind. As pre-meditated as his speeches are, he still stumbles through them almost incoherently. I don't mean this as a joke but he shows symptoms of early Alzheimers. Competency aside, I worry if he's even healthy enough to endure one year of presidency, let alone four.

That may be a valid concern and although I don’t agree with it we will just have to wait and see who his VP choice is. I may not vote at all if I don’t like who it is.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It seems to me the poorer countries during these questionable times are always the hardest hit.

The floods in our Midwestern states, skin cancer, the earthquake is China, the hole in the ozone, the polar bears literally drowning because they no place to rest because all the ice is melting!

I do believe the Earth in the midst of crisis.

I heard someone mention on the news that people now seriously consider what we are experiencing is the beginning of the end of days.

I just hope I have the appropriate shoes for it.

LOL! If it was the Christians you were reading when you read about the alleged “ends of days” fear not, they have been doing that for centuries now! But hey, I guess that’s as good of an excuse as any to go buy more shoes!

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Where does this come from? I don't know if I would call him a weak puppy.

Obama seems to be real good at rallying high school and college kids but he impresses me with nothing outside of that. I believe he is another Jimmy Carter who thinks singing “kum ba ya my lord” will fix the ills of the world while two-bit sharks like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad eat him alive. He not only lacks experience, he is nothing but an idealistic idealist with little real-world wisdom and certainly not most powerful man on the planet material. Jesus, Hillary has bigger balls then he does!

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Voodoo Economics

A slanderous term used by President George H. W. Bush in reference to President Reagan's economic policies known as Reaganomics.

That was before he understood how Reagan, being a proponent of supply-side economics & favoring reduced income/capital gains tax rates was right. He later of course became his running mate and enjoyed the benefits of Reaganomics during his own presidency as Bill Clinton did.

No, that would still be the 70’s i.e. the Carter years and prior I was speaking about.

Reagan was a god as Presidents go and belongs on Mt. Rushmore imo. Besides the economic marvel known as Reaganomics, he not only kept us out of war with the USSR as you mentioned, he broke their back with massive military spending while letting other players like those in the Middle East know clearly Don't Tread on Me bitches and George in the same fashion has reminded the bitches that saying still applies. We may not be seeing a lot of George right now but he is no Jimmy carter as the world is still seeing George where it counts to say the least.

Reagan didn't take office until the 80s.

As to the, "Don't Tread On Me," thing. Reagan made a huge mistake by pulling out of Lebanon following the Marine bombing. It sent a message to the paramilitary groups that the US is weak and can be defeated in the middle east if the US suffers casualties. bin Laden pointed out, quite rightly, that this is how the withdrawal from Beirut was interpreted throughout the region. It set a poor precedent which was then unwisely followed by Bush and Clinton.