Evidence of Awesomicity: A MacGyveresque Experience

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Jun 3, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Today, I locked my key in my car, because I'm a jacktard. I also apparently never put my spare key in my new wallet, because I'm forgetful. In spite of my forgetful jacktard tendencies, however, I am tenaciously resourceful.

My first approach was to see if I could force the window down a couple of inches by pressing hard against it and pulling downward. This worked with one of my previous cars, and after doing so, I could detach my antenna and use it to hook my keys. Anyway, it didn't work.

The next approach was to pick the lock with a flathead screwdriver and a long nail. I couldn't get the door open, but I was able to pop the trunk. I guess that latch isn't as secure as the door lock. In any case, the trunk is open, and I'm thinking I can knock the back seat down and climb through. No such luck.

However, all my jabbing and striking knocked down the arm rest in the middle of the back seat, and I noticed a sliver of light. The seat wasn't completely continuous; there's a narrow opening to the right of the arm rest.

So, after a bit of contemplation followed by some digging, I found a rusted crank buried in the trunk. I have no idea what it was exactly, maybe part of an old jack, but in any case it was going to prove useful. I went inside, found a broomstick, and taped the crank to the end of it. As I had estimated, it was long enough to reach the back right door handle, and with the hook on the end of the crank, I was able to snag the lock and unlock the door.

It was fucking awesome.

2. JustAsking

Gold Member

Wow, very McGruber!

3. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is a really cool story... you sure got yourself out of that pickle in a lo-fi manner... fuckin' sweet!!! :smile:

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Hell yeh, fuck calling Pop-a-Lock. I have horrible luck with locking my keys in my car, but it's happened so many times that I always have a plan.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I would have called Alfred on my cellphone and ordered up the Lamborghini.

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

If I'm calling some guy named Alfred, I'm getting the Batmobile.

Draft saved Draft deleted