Examples of your local dialect.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My accent is pretty watered down now as it's many years since I lived in North East England but I still love the accent. Here's something I found on Youtube which is a typical Geordie accent. Let me know if you need a translation :smile:

Post some examples from your own area.

hyphap

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My accent has some odd influences--a combination of growing up in Cleveland (not a pronounced midwestern accent, but still some there), my father being Jewish and from Brooklyn (comes out once in a while), and my enjoyment of things English. My voice is generally pretty accent-less, but sometimes odd things come out.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mine is the seventeenth (at 1:45) in this curious performance by one Amy Walker:

YouTube - 21 Accents

All the imitations do not sound equally convincing to me, but the accent that she assumes for a Seattleite -- not an accent distinctive of Seattle (there is none), but just the quintessential American accent without recognizable regional features -- sounds like everybody that I grew up with. It says in her home page that she lived on Whidbey Island for a time.

(Comment posted on the YouTube page: "Crazy hot white chick with major personality problem.... i'd STILL HIT IT.")

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mine is the seventeenth (at 1:45) in this curious performance by one Amy Walker:

YouTube - 21 Accents

All the imitations do not sound equally convincing to me, but the accent that she assumes for a Seattleite -- not an accent distinctive of Seattle (there is none), but just the quintessential American accent without recognizable regional features -- sounds like everybody that I grew up with. It says in her home page that she lived on Whidbey Island for a time.

(Comment posted on the YouTube page: "Crazy hot white chick with major personality problem.... i'd STILL HIT IT.")
That's a riot, I have the same bit on my voice demo CD, but my name is not Amy Walker and I left my age off!

S

superbot

Interesting.Seem's to me the difference between US accents/dialects is very small in compared to UK regional dialects.The Geordie accent has long been my favourite.A milder version of this is the Cumbrian accent,where my family are from.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ok so this YouTube - Give Up Yer Aul Sins is a film based on old recordings of Dublin accents of children in the 60's . Their accent's/dialect is sometimes called the old Dublin or Aul Dub or Real Dublin accent. Dublin has lots of accents though, so even though this one is common it is normally a working class accent. The really rough accent is sometimes called "Knacker" dub and it aint pretty I'll try to find an decent vid of that.

There are well to do and posh accents too.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nice one Mitch but you do have an accent although I can't place it. :smile:

Well it is a hefty mix of north, south, east and west lol, that's what happens when you come from the central county of warwks. :)

You sound charming...thanks for sharing that!

Your welcome :)

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Although the speaker is a native Bostonian, this is not his natural accent. You can hear the real thing, or rather one of the real things, in this video of a city councilman from Medford ("Meffud"). An interesting detail is his pronunciation of the word "throughout" (around 0:09), which sounds very like how that word would be pronounced by a Canadian. This is a trait that you can hear in the speech of a lot of Bostonians who otherwise do not exhibit a local accent.

A brief but very entertaining exhibition of the variety of Boston accents is offered by Ben Affleck in this interview.

D_Deceptivus Wrongpeter

Experimental Member
Media
....a typical Geordie accent. Let me know if you need a translation :smile:

When I go to the UK, I have to go to Newcastle frequently, and I gotta say, the Geordie accent is the one I actually dread. It takes an enormous amount of concentration to understand.

In the US, the Mississippi accent gives me Kittens. It seems like they all got a bag of marbles in their mouths. (Think of Elvis Presley's accent and Ennis Del Mar's mumbling and you got it.)

I talk more like Jeff Foxworthy. And yeah, we do say "afixin" and "yonder", but mostly to other southerners.