Examples of your local dialect.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I lived in Aberdeenshire for a few years and it took me a long time to understand the locals. The dialect is know as Doric. Although this is a funny example it demonstrates Doric perfectly. :biggrin1:

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
Cool idea for a thread.

Here is a very posh Edinburgh accent:
Accents and dialects of the UK

I'm more like this guy, although not quite. I reckon he's probably fae across the toon fae me cos I'm a wee bit different, ken.
YouTube - Scottish Accent in Edinburgh
I use some of these vernacular words and although I'm not from Leith these guys are close enough only an Edinburger would be able to tell the difference:
BBC - Voices - The Voices Recordings - Storytellers

I may be getting a bit of a weegie twang though, which is terrible news.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My accent is pretty watered down now as it's many years since I lived in North East England but I still love the accent. Here's something I found on Youtube which is a typical Geordie accent. Let me know if you need a translation :smile:

Post some examples from your own area.

Wow, I only heard 30 seconds and the only thing I understood was when he says "go ahead". At least I think that's what he said.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow, I only heard 30 seconds and the only thing I understood was when he says "go ahead". At least I think that's what he said.

That's exactly what it was like when I talked to him on the phone. My partner asked what we talked about and I said I have no idea...They did not offer that language at my school.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Last edited:

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
"My voice is generally pretty accent-less, but sometimes odd things come out."

Actually there is no "accent-less" voice.
What you think is speaking with no accent, is speaking with a thick accent to others. Actually, according to the people who study this kind of thing, the oldest and most widely used accent in the USA is also the one that is derided the most. That would be the Southern dialect. It is used by far more American English speakers than any other accent. Even then, it is divided into numerous regional and local dialects. Someone from North Georgia can tell a North Alabama or East Tennessee (for example) speaker after listening for a few minutes. And in Georgia, a Mid-West accent stands out like a sore thumb. It is not an ugly accent, just very different. It can be distinguished from the first couple of words. Even Britain has numerous accents. So, what is the true "un-accented" English accent?

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
When I go to the UK, I have to go to Newcastle frequently, and I gotta say, the Geordie accent is the one I actually dread. It takes an enormous amount of concentration to understand.

In the US, the Mississippi accent gives me Kittens. It seems like they all got a bag of marbles in their mouths. (Think of Elvis Presley's accent and Ennis Del Mar's mumbling and you got it.)

I talk more like Jeff Foxworthy. And yeah, we do say "afixin" and "yonder", but mostly do other southerners.

Yeah, I talk more like Jeff Foxworthy also.

The Mississippians I know don't mumble though. I know one that is from Tupelo. His accent is smooth and distinctly pronounced. His parents accent is the same but with more "magnolia and moonbeams" in it.

Another I know's accent is more like my own. He is from middle Miss.

Some friends and I were watching a show on TV and Lucas Black was on it. He has a very southern accent. We didn't know who he was at the time but he was promoting "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" movie that he was staring in. I said "well, he is from close to here". Everyone agreed. We listened some more and someone said "it ain't Georgia though". We listened some more and decided it was either East Tennessee or North Alabama. The he said something (what, I don't remember) and I said "that is North Alabama). So we googled him and sure enough, he is from Decatur, Alabama.

When I was in college, I don't know how many people would get me to talk just to listen to my accent and voice. Much more so when I was talking to others who spoke the same accent.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
. And yeah, we do say "afixin" and "yonder", but mostly to other southerners.

Incidentally, the grammtical structure of "a-fixing" or "a-going" etc, dates back to midaeval England, as here in this song from 1240 a.d.
"Sumer is icumen in,*
(Summer is a-coming in)
Lhude sing cuccu.*
(Loudly sing cuckoo)
Groweth sed and blweth med,*
(Grow seed and blows mead)
and springeth the wde nu.
(and springs the wood anew)
Sing cuccu.*
(Sing cuckoo)
Awe bleteth after lomb,*
(Ewe bleats after lamb)
Lhouth after calve cu.*
(Lows after her calf the cow)
Bulloc sterteth, bucke verteth,
(The bull stirs, the buck turns)
Murie sing cuccu.
(Merrily sing cuckoo)
Cuccu, cuccu,*
(Cuckoo, cuckoo)
wel singes thu cuccu,*
(Well sings you cuckoo)
Ne swik thu naver nu"
(Don't ever stop now)"

the "a-" prefix is used for present action. i.e. "Where are you a-going?" means "where are you going NOW?" It got permanently tacked on to "sleep" as in the word "asleep".

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
"Lard Darathy! That's a garjus r'enge farmal ya got on thar. Kin you take thuh harse to the barn and bring back some carn?"

Mormon #1: "Didja hear the U of U is buildin' a june yor colledge in 'Mericuhn Fark?
Mormon #2: Nuh uh.
Mormon #1: Yup. They're a gonna call it Fark U.
Mormon #2: Fer flip!
Mormon #1: Fer frickin' real!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't have an accent that's identifiable. It's extremely generic. My dad was Southern and he learned early-on that that speak was a disadvantage so he bred it out of himself and, consequently, he disallowed his children to have any kind of identifiable accent whatsoever. Strangely, I'm occasionsally accused, by Americans, of having an English accent, which I decidedly do not.

I suppose I speak sort of like a newscaster (as he did) with that sort of regional-free dialect.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My anus speaks in a rather guttural german dialect... like "Fraaapen-Buuurpen" or "Peeeeerfen-Flooooppen!"

OK capslock, you have had your say in the matter. I am in full agreement with the right of anyone to share their fecal expertise, but it's getting to the point where you are starting to flood the forums with your issues that do not relate to the intended discussion.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK capslock, you have had your say in the matter. I am in full agreement with the right of anyone to share their fecal expertise, but it's getting to the point where you are starting to flood the forums with your issues that do not relate to the intended discussion.

That never shut up the boy in fourth grade who made fart noises; why should it work on Capslock?

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I lived in Aberdeenshire for a few years and it took me a long time to understand the locals. The dialect is know as Doric. Although this is a funny example it demonstrates Doric perfectly. :biggrin1:

That was priceless. I haven't laughed so much in ages. I'm from the other side of the country, but I've spent a lot of time in Aberdeen.