Excessive Capitalization

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
This Annoys Me So Much And It Takes Far Longer To Type Out - I Really Don't Understand It.

Maybe It's For People Who Don't Know Which Words Should Start In Capital Letters.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
No - I Think That Happens Sometimes - But When You Type A Post All In Caps Vbulletin Changes It So That The First Letter Only Is In Caps. This Post, For Example, Was Typed Entirely In Caps.

Edit: So what is happening is those guys are just typing in caps and it comes out that way - if you want you caps to stick you have to add some lower case text - or a smilie of some kind.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Excessive Capitalisation Is For People Who Feel They Don't Stand Out And They Use Capitalised Words To Try And Make Themselves Stand Out.

Understood? :tongue:

Excessive capitalisation and no capitalisation of your own name indicate low self esteem/self image issues.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, the excessive capitalization is annoying, only slightly less-so than the trend a few years back, where cApItalIZaTiOn WaS rAnDoM.

There are some thing's I see frequently in post's that are annoying, but there....are....other....things....
that....make....a....post....nearly....impossible...to....read.

I agree that some of the "language mavens" (often less-pleasantly referred to as grammar nazis or spelling nazis) get a little carried away in correcting the posts of others; the two most-often used excuses by the offenders are 1) it's only the internets, not a dissertation, so it doesn't matter, and 2) fuck off, I'll type as I please.

Sometimes, though, even though I really want to read a post, my eyes and brain flatly refuse to process such poorly constructed posts. Lack of capitalization, excessive capitalization, all caps, no punctuation, over-punctuation, very poor grammar, very poor spelling, text-speak or leet-speak, and absence of paragraphing all make posts exceptionally difficult to read and decipher.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I Was Going To Post A Thread On This Very Topic Yesterday. What Is It With This Random Weird Way To Post? Do Some Computers Default To Capitalization?

I Agree With Deep -- It's Not Nearly As Annoying As Other Unitelligible Habits Here.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I think it's a reaction (particularly among financial institutions) to the uncertainty presented by the ongoing ABCP issues. Lehman and others are going to the market in order to have the comfort of a large capital base to cover any future writedowns. Obviously it's better to raise capital before the announcement of writedowns and the concurrent stock price drop.

Normally a company awash in cash is an attractive takeover target, but given the current financial environment (i.e. difficult to obtain credit), that isn't as much of an issue as it is normally. When (if?) market conditions return to normal, expect a round of M&A and/or share buybacks and dividend increases.

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Actually some of the dudes I've seen use caps this way have been from non-English speaking countries. I just assumed it had something to do with that - perhaps in their native tongue they DO cap every word. I dunno though. mmmm, tongue.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, the excessive capitalization is annoying, only slightly less-so than the trend a few years back, where cApItalIZaTiOn WaS rAnDoM.

oH, i sIMpLy LoVE raNdom cApiTaliSatiOn

onlysecondinlinetothosewhoprefertowritewithouteverthinkingaboutasinglespacenowandthen

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does This Irritate Anyone Else?
Yes, it bothers me immensely as it makes it way too difficult for me to read.
[QUOTE]Where Did This Trend Come From?
I have no idea but I wish to hell it would end.

Excessive Capitalisation Is For People Who Feel They Don't Stand Out And They Use Capitalised Words To Try And Make Themselves Stand Out. Understood? :tongue:
Really? I'm not sure I agree with this. I just think they are stupid. :tongue:
Excessive capitalisation and no capitalisation of your own name indicate low self esteem/self image issues.
With this I agree.

Yes, the excessive capitalization is annoying,
only slightly less-so than the trend a few years back, where cApItalIZaTiOn WaS rAnDoM.
I HATE this form of typing I call it "the kidnapper." In movies kinapping notes always use this type of text. It is effective because it is brief and eye catching, and allows the reader to know the peson who devised the missive is a crazed criminal capable of anything. :tongue:
There are some thing's I see frequently in post's that are annoying, but there....are....other....things....
that .... make....a....post....nearly....impossible...to....read
Yes, the excessive and unnecessary use of {...} is also annoying.

I agree that some of the "language mavens" (often less-pleasantly referred to as grammar nazis or spelling nazis) get a little carried away in correcting the posts of others; the two most-often used excuses by the offenders are 1) it's only the internets, not a dissertation, so it doesn't matter, and 2) fuck off, I'll type as I please.
IMO Those excuses are as pathetic as the people who make them.

Sometimes, though, even though I really want to read a post, my eyes and brain flatly refuse to process such poorly constructed posts. Lack of capitalization, excessive capitalization, all caps, no punctuation, over-punctuation, very poor grammar, very poor spelling, text-speak or leet-speak, and absence of paragraphing all make posts exceptionally difficult to read and decipher.
I agree. I would like to believe these people have something worth saying but I honestly have no clue. I also detest those who write in an ebonics like dialect. I don't care if that's how you speak, it's wrong and it makes you look stupid.

I know there are many who disagree with my opinions; but at least they are written in a clear enough fashion for them to dislike.

In addition, I try to use proper grammar and spelling; because I am aware there are many here for whom English is not a first language. When you post in slang or a dialect it makes it virtually impossible for one not familiar with English to understand.