Exercise and Food

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by BigD_2, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LPSGers who exercise regularly - 3 questions for you.

1. Do any of you do the 5-6 meals a day thing? If so, please describe what you eat at each meal and, was this a huge adjustment for you when you started? How do you handle situations like going out to dinner with friends?

So many places say that the 5-6 meals a day is really really good for a person....I just can't see myself doing it though!

2. If you work out in the morning, before work, do you eat anything before the workout? I have a big protein shake after, but only coffee before....

3. Cardio. Do you do it? Before or after weights? Before or after stretching? If I walk at moderate speed for an hour a day (30 min to work, 30 min from work) does this count as cardio at all?

Thanks guys.

Big_D

2. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have the patience to space my meals out to 5 or 6 times a day, so I do the standard 3 meals, with protein shakes for a snack. Usually have a shake when I wake up, one right after I finish working out, and one before I go to bed. I would recommend you have SOMETHING before you workout- if your stomach is empty, your body will just eat the muscles.

3. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I exercise regularly, and have exercised in many different ways during my life, but recently my exercise plan consists of walking and -- big surprise -- belly dancing. With those two going on, and with the need for lots of dancing practice, I don’t really have time for anything else.

In answer to your questions:

1) No, I don’t eat 5-6 meals a day. I only eat 3 meals and eat in moderation -- until I feel satisfied, but not full. When I first started doing this I got a little hungry between mealtimes, but I quickly got used to it and it helps very much in keeping my weight under control.

2) If I know I am going to be doing a particularly vigorous dancing session, I do try to eat beforehand. I almost always eat dinner right before my evening dancing lessons, but because I don’t eat a huge amount of food, I don’t feel any discomfort or cramping -- it just helps to give me energy.

3) Some parts of belly dancing are very cardiovascular, while others focus more on strength, particularly in the core region. And when I walk I walk at a very brisk pace, so I would say I do both cardiovascular and strength training.

And yes, I do think moderate-pace walking constitutes cardiovascular exercise, although it is a low-key form of it, and it may be wise to incorporate some more intense cardio into your routine a few times a week.

4. DeepDish

DeepDish Member

Albums:
    I lift and do cardio.

Yes I do 5 or 6 meals a day. It really is more like 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. Transition was not hard, in fact:

I felt better physically within a couple days.

So I will eat three "real food meals" with lean protein, good fats, and good carbs (usually fruits vegetables)

Then I will take a protein supplement type snack the other two times. Or maybe a piece of meat if one is handy.

Here is what is good about it for me:

- blood sugar levels stay pretty flat all day long
    - energy levels stay good all day long, no roller coaster

Ha Ha, of course those two are related.

#4 DeepDish, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

1) Typical breakfast - ~a cup of non-fat plain yogurt, or two eggs, plus some fruit, a small handful of nuts and raisins or dates.

Typical Mid-morning, mid-afternoon, mid-evening snacks - a small protein bar, or half a cup of cottage cheese, or a small square of "light" cheese (70 calories) with a slice of bread, or a slice of bread with some peanut butter, or a few slices of turkey.

Typical lunch - A can of water-packed tuna, or some sliced turkey, or a bowl of lentil soup, a selection of raw, fresh vegetables, a piece of fruit.

Typical dinner - small piece of grilled fish or chicken. Modest salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing, half of a small yam or sweet potato, or some other cooked vegetable. A small piece of fruit or a couple of dates for dessert.

2) I rarely eat anything before a regular morning workout. If I'm going to do something exceptionally rigorous, like a 3-mile ocean swim in relatively cold water, I might have a small glass of orange juice and a banana, or some yogurt, and some dates or raisins. I ALWAYS drink a full liter of water as soon as I get up, though.

3) I do weights 3 times a week (in the morning) and run 4 miles in the evening on those days. The other 4 days, I attend coached competitive swim practices - 2 a day - once in the morning, once in the evening, about 2 miles per practice session. This is what I shoot for, though life does get in the way, and I often miss something or other once or twice a week.

#5 D_Alec_Baldtwins, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. B_Hornaplenty

B_Hornaplenty New Member

I'm 75 and work out at the gym every day except Sunday. I go in early, usually spend an hour and a half working out. I don't eat anything before exercising.

I begin with cardio, then move on to weights.

I eat 2 meals a day...a healthy breakfast after getting home from the gym. No lunch. Have a good dinner at 6 pm, not into eating late before bedtime.

Food intake is high on protein, limited meat, fish, low fat, lots of fruit and vegetables.

My weight is under control, cholesterol is within limits, blood pressure is excellent.

7. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm 26, almost 27, and I was quite overweight a year ago. I'm currently about 6'2" and 175lbs. A year ago I was 6'1" and 235-240 lbs. So I've dropped around 60 lbs and also put on quite a bit of muscle... No idea why I grew an inch but I did.

I make a point of eating breakfast, usually a cup of yogurt as I'm not very hungry in the morning but I can tolerate a bit of yogurt. I try to eat a reasonable lunch and dinner and sometimes have a granola bar or a piece of fruit between meals. I try to spend at least 30 minutes a day doing intense cardio, and when I can I will do as much as 90 minutes of cardio and probably 40 minutes of weights and floor exercises. I love working out and I need to limit myself in order to get other stuff done.

8. erratic

Gold Member

1. Yes, sort of. I basically split lunch and dinner in to two parts. They're not 100% evenly spaced, but they're getting farther and farther apart as time goes on. Though some days I have to eat just 3 times because of work.

2. When I work out in the morning it's after a light breakfast and before a protein shake and snack.

3. I absolutely do cardio. It's essential for heart health and helps with mood and sleep cycles. There's no way I'm skipping cardio, even if it takes me longer to build muscle because of it. And yeah, a half hour walk is cardio. I prefer biking or rowing, but walking for more than ten minutes is good cardio.

I'm not your doctor, but: Typically, when people lose weight their posture improves a bit and their vertebrae and hip & leg joints are less compacted. People I know who've lost a lot of weight have mentioned the same thing. Congrats, by the way - and, if you've gained muscle you've probably lost a lot more than 60 lbs.! (Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.)

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I go to the gym three mornings a week and play tennis once a week and take a dance class once a week. Before any workout I take creatine and drink water. Afterwards I have a whey shake with some fruit. A couple of hours later I have papaya and toast with peanut butter.
    Later in the morning I have a hand full of raw almonds and some fruit.

Lunch is a salad of sorts with either chicken or fish and vegetables and whole grain bread. (About once a month I go out and have a cheeseburger and fries and a milk shake)

Afternoon is fruit and nuts and or maybe a kashi go lean bar.

Dinner is usually grilled chicken or fish. (I have red meat about once or twice a week) short grain japanese rice with steamed vegetables, a salad with fruit and nuts and toasted whole grain bread and butter and a glass of wine.

At least once a week I eat whatever the hell I want for dinner and don't worry about it. I always have dessert no matter what.

In the evening I make air popped pop corn.

During the course of a day I drink about 8-10 glasses of water with lemon juice.

10. D_Ernest Porknine

D_Ernest Porknine New Member

When I am working out (which has been typical for me for the last 15+ years) I eat at least 6 meals per day, many times 7 or 8 times per day. And most of these meals consist of lean protein meats and some protein shakes or a combination of both.

So many people want to get fit, muscular, or lean but don't want to put in the effort to actually achieve their goals. A proper diet is a BIG part of your success, whether it is gaining muscle mass or losing body fat. Diet will make up 75% of your success.

I have many people stop by my cubicle at work and see me eating (again) and say they want nutritional advice. When I tell them what they need to do and how to do it they say they can't eat like that. Okay then, stay the way you are then!

A proper diet after awhile just becomes a lifestyle and a way of life. You don't always have to eat clean and you can enjoy going out with your friends to eat, just don't do it often or be selective of what you eat and how much.

If it was easy... everyone would be walking around buff wouldn't they? Too look good you have to make the effort to look good.

11. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

I believe that allot of people get lost on the "5 or 6 'meals' a day" thing. It does not mean a proper, western style 'meal'...as other have said, a yogurt, piece of fruit, low sodium turkey jerky, some almonds...whatever...is the 'meal'. The point is to keep our blood sugar stable. Allot of people (myself included) fall into the trap of under-eating; combine that with regular cardio and lifting and it jacks up the ketosis process and may cause us to gain weight and fat rather than burn.

Time of day depends on how your body clicks. I am energized from my routine so I do it in the morning. I have friends who hit the gym as late as 9pm then shower and go to bed....no way in hell I could do that, but thats just me.

Cardio is also kind of an individual thing....like you, I walk allot...so I dont get hung up on that. I start off with about 15 min light/mod cardio to get my heart rate to 135-145, drop down to 115, then ramp it back up. I go into a few sets and then another 10 min cycle...few more sets and then another 10 min cycle and I'm done.

12. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes i do many meals a day, sometimes more than 5 or 6.
    That does mean tho that the meals get smaller. Still the 3 normal meals are the biggest, i fit in fruit and veggies, yogurt and quark oat, wheat rye and other flakes with milk, i sometimes also add them to yogurt. Additional i have to use supplements to fill my need of energy when i work out a lot. The transition is rather easy, you just start eating smaller meals, especially lunch and start to add healthy snacks in between.
    You will soon find that it makes you feel better, reason number one is u usually eat more healthy and conscious and that will lead to you being more healthy having better skin and so on. Reason number two you will no longer challenge your metabolism so much and take away a lot of energy and concentration after big meals. The more constant blood sugar will help you to stay physical and mentally fitter.
    It has not really affected me when i go out with friends to eat, you just don't order a one pound steak or something like that, and sometimes as time goes on order another snack later like a fruit plate or a salad or whatever.

2. depends on what your goals are, do you want to lose weight or do you want a good training for your muscles and heart. Someone who wants to add muscles should never go work out on an empty stomach in the morning. Number one he gives a way a chance to effectively take in helping proteins, which are best taken after sleep and after workout.
    Number two working out on an empty stomach isn't very effective for muscle gains.

If you just want to lose weight it is an alternative. But notice that it might not help you much with getting fitter and increasing your performance. Even tho you get thinner.

Walking can be cardio workout, depends on the pulse, for me it would not do much.
    However it does burn energy and helps the muscles of your legs and therefore certainly is not bad, if you really want to increase your maximal oxygen input you have to push yourself a little more tho.

13. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

A "meal" can be just some fruit and nuts, what most people would think of as a snack. So 5-6 a day is not necessarily too much. Several small portions of food also voids the necessity of two or three larger meals, which is better for your digestion, weight control and general satisfaction in eating.

Walking is of course aerobic exercise. Stretching is as good or better than aerobics exercise, however, for warming up before working out.

Your eating and aerobic routines should be linked to your particular goals: weight loss? building muscle? general health and fitness? Structure your activity and habits around the specific results you have in mind.

14. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate the comments & advice :)

15. matt4305

matt4305 New Member

Albums:
    Ok lots of good info here and thanks. I am 50 years old and as long as I can remember I have had this belly. On my 50th birthday in july I decided I have had enough of feeling like shit all the time. Knees hurt, joints hurt, cardio sucks. I am a volunteer Firefighter of 20 years and I don't like the thought of not being able to keep up with the younger guys. I am sure I was close to developing Diabetes as suger was a great thing!!! I also smoke, which I am also working on...in general I was just a mess, waiting to have a heart attack.
    Something changed! I went to my doctor and told her my libido was in the dumps, no energy, no will to be active. I asked her to do a testosterone test, It came back low.
    She began injecting 1mg of testosterone every three weeks. 2 days after the first injection I felt like a new man, newfound energy, sex drive, hard on if the wind blew.
    I got the doc to let me start injecting the testosterone myself as I am an EMT and she agreed. I started really watching what I eat and the quantity. Stopped drinking pop altogether and started working out 5 to 6 times a week. I hate cardio so right now I just do weights, I know I will have to start the cardio thing. My stamina has gone through the roof and I never eat the quantity of food I did before. My weight keeps fluctuating which is frustrating, but I can tell I am getting much stronger. my joints have stopped hurting as much, less headaches. The strange thing is that it has gotten harder to get up in the morning. When I work out it is usually in the early evening so I have at least a few hours before I go to bed. I began this weighing 249 lbs and I'm down to 242 in just over a month, so I know my eating habits aren't right just yet. I take Creatine at least once per day.
    Any suggestions from you guys? I want to be a buff 50 y/o, my wife is noticing the changes and likes them.
    Sorry for the rambling, thanks for any help....

Draft saved Draft deleted