Experience of Malignant Melanoma anyone

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Smartalk, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Smartalk

Gold Member

Hi everyone,

Visited my GP on Friday and asked him to look at a spot on my thigh, which has been slowly growing over a few month. He was very reassuring but before I left the surgery I had an appointment to see a consultant on Monday for a biopsy. He said as a precautionary check to rule out the possibility of Malignant Melanoma.

Anyone on LPSG had a similar experience or been diagnosed with skin cancer. what was your treatment and outcome.

Thanks Smartalk xx

2. Cougar

Cougar New Member

Albums:
    It is one of the most deadly of all the cancers and it is what killed my mother.

Everybody has moles or growths on their skin which are cut off and biopsied every year and only a small percent are malignant. Most are benign. Some are what they call pre-cancerous, which means if you leave them alone thy might one day become cancerous.

Stop worrying, it runs in my family and I am the same age as my mom when she died and I have one or 2 places cut and biopsied a year and none have been malignant.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

??? Really? I could have sworn this had the highest survival rate.

4. Cougar

Cougar New Member

Albums:
  5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Those stats make for really grim reading indeed. I have an ex work colleague who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer (breast) so must be one of the really unlucky ones if those stats are consistent on a global level too.

6. Cougar

Cougar New Member

Albums:
    I'm sorry about your friend. Cancer is scary.

7. witch

witch Member

my younger sister had a malignant melanoma surgically removed from her back, it was a very dark/brown area the size of a dime.

It’s been over 5 years so she looks like she is ok, but she has to be careful in the sun and have her skin checked twice a year.

as skin cancer runs in the family we all have to be checked, I’ve had pre-cancer removed from my face, the Doctor said it’s one of those cancers that responds well to treatment with a favorable outcome

8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Melanoma is one of the most deadly of all cancers.

It spreads to other tissues like bone and brain very readily... and is hard to eradicate.

Basal cell and squamous cell cancers of the skin are usually not life threatening unless REALLY ignored well past reason.

If your biopsy comes back as melanoma- you have a fight on your hands. Act immediately and aggressively in dealing with it.

I wish you luck.

9. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Reading this makes me want to make an appointment with a dermatologist.

Pancreatic cancer is the one that sounds really scary to me. As I understand, it rarely produces clear symptoms until it is far advanced. Consequently, it is rarely caught early enough to prevent it from killing the patient. I had never even heard of it until the mother of a good friend of mine was diagnosed with it. She died about two months later, as I recall.

10. Smartalk

Gold Member

Hi Guys

Thanks for your posts. I saw the dermatologist this morning and she said that it was a Haemengioma, a group of tiny capillairies that have appreared under the skin. So nothing nasty, just the person whom it was attached too.

Thanks again

Smartalk

11. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good to know it is not Malignant Melanoma, Smartalk. Now go forth and celebrate!

12. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Yes, I had it, and it was malignant. Although I had the growth removed, cancer had already spread, and I went thru almost 1 year of Radiation (opted for instead of Chemo). Although its been several years since that, I still am required to have periodic screenings, and the threat of return is always looming....Not a happy place to be in.

13. Smartalk

Gold Member

Thanks yhtang for your kind words and yes I am celebrating.

jjkrkwood. Really sorry to hear of your experience, not been a good few years for you, I had visions of going through the same myself. Really pleased to hear you have got past the five year stage, but it must be always at the back of your mind. Hope everything continues to go well for you

Take care and thanks for your support

Smartalk

Draft saved Draft deleted