Expressions That Don't Make Sense

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When it rains, it pours means that once something happens after a long pause, it happens in large amounts. Example: "It looks like everyone in our department is sick again, and all at the same time."

Morton®Salt - when it rains it pours®

When it rains. It pours.

This phrase is meant to be "It never rains except it pours." The meaning is that one can never seem to get a particular thing in moderation, but only in abundance whether said abundance is a good thing or not.

Tickled Pink

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
'He went to see a man about a dog' is generally taken to mean that someone has gone to the toilet! I don't know why tho!!!!

(Hiya honey - how you doin'?)

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get tired of people who say "can I borrow..." Some things I don't want returned; toilet paper being the best example. :eek:

How about "do you know what time it is"? I usually answer "yes!" and wait until s/he finally sez "what time is it?" :biggrin1:

this was a great topic!!

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about "do you know what time it is"? I usually answer "yes!" and wait until s/he finally sez "what time is it?" :biggrin1:

That's about as endearing as children who answer the phone and who, when you say, "Is your mother [or whoever] there?", answer "Yes," and then wait for you to say something else. :grumpy:

Tovidious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"Going to see a man about a dog"

[A] Phrase used to conceal one's true destination, especially in response to an awkward question. Is commonly used in Britain when one is headed to the toilet.

"Are you and your wife coming out tonight?" "Uhhhh, I need to see a man about a dog."

"How come you're leaving the table?" "I need to see a man about a dog."

The Wikipedia entry says:

To see a man, to see a man about a dog, or to see a man about a horse is an English language colloquialism, usually used as a smiling apology for one's departure or absence - generally as a bland euphemism to conceal one's true purpose.

The phrase has several meanings but all refer to taking one's leave for some urgent purpose, especially to go to the bathroom or going to buy a drink. The original non-facetious meaning was probably to place or settle a bet on a race, thus dogs or horses.

During Prohibition in the United States, "to see a man about a dog" often meant to go meet one's bootlegger.

The earliest confirmed publication is the 1866 Dion Boucicault play Flying Scud, in which a character knowingly breezes past a difficult situation saying, "Excuse me Mr. Quail, I can't stop; I've got to see a man about a dog." During a 1939 revival on the NBC Radio program America's Lost Plays, TIME magazine observed that the phrase is the play's "claim to fame".

traveler29

Experimental Member
Media
to wake up "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed"

as if waking up wasn't annoying enough, someone had to say this and squeeze an extra ounce of irritating out.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
"I could care less." (not really probative of anything)

Yes, that drives me crazy! :tongue: My response to that is always, "Oh really, you could? Because me, personally, I couldn't care less - so I win in the apathy contest."

Here's one I need help with, Rob... "dressed to the nines" :smile: