Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From the Department of Mangled Expressions: "to fall between the cracks" -- a common but utterly stupid mangling of the phrase "to fall through the cracks" (perhaps by confusion with "to fall between two stools"). If something falls through a crack, then it is lost; if it falls between the cracks, then it is lying where anyone can pick it up.

jimbob369

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Near miss.

"Wouldn't a 'near miss' mean that the two planes actually hit?!?! They nearly missed each other!" - George Carlin

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Near miss.

"Wouldn't a 'near miss' mean that the two planes actually hit?!?! They nearly missed each other!" - George Carlin

Exactly: I grind my teeth every time I hear or read "near miss." What they mean is a narrow miss, or a near-hit.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Exactly: I grind my teeth every time I hear or read "near miss." What they mean is a narrow miss, or a near-hit.
I part near fell off my seat when I read that.

English is full of idiomatic expressions. It makes for a much steeper ESL learning curve. I avoid these expressions as a rule; they often don't make any sense.

"Make no bones about it." Where did this expression come from? I know the meaning, but I have no idea what it's origins are.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Make no bones about it." Where did this expression come from? I know the meaning, but I have no idea what it's origins are.

I found the following account on a site that seems to be pretty reliable:

It has been argued that the phrase had its origin in dice games, since dice have been called bones since the fourteenth century at the latest, for the good reason that they were originally carved from bone. The image presumably is that the player doesn’t stop to call on Dame Fortune or talk to the dice after the manner of craps players (“Baby needs new shoes!”) but just rolls them.

A more probable, but somewhat surprising, origin is from the meal table. The oldest version of the expression is to find bones in something, meaning to find a difficulty or objection in some course of action. The first example is from one of the Paston letters of 1459. It seems to have been linked especially with soup: to have a bone in that certainly presented difficulties in eating it. To find no bones in something meant that you had no problems or difficulties. The idiom seems to have grown out of that.
I think that the short answer is that no one knows for certain where the expression came from.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
consensus of opinion... isn't that what a consensus IS?

hot water heater... if the water is hot, there's no need for a water heater.

when it's too hot in the room, why do people say "turn up the air conditioner".

if a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, what do diabetics take?