Facebook Messenger NOT secure

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you have Facebook Messenger to "Do All" your messenger programs, I think you may want to re-consider.

I have gotten numerous IM's from folks on my yahoo messenger list that start out with numerous scripts...where you think your talking to the person...and what they are saying just makes no sense.

Then...when you get the same message from multiple people on your contact list....its worse.

Whats the common factor? Facebook.
    Don't allow facebook to "Search" for your friends or provide account passwords to other Instant messaging programs or mail applications. It is very INSECURE.
    My Facebook page was hacked 2 DAYS after opening it up. I had to re-set my password to something cryptic to make sure it wouldn't be cracked again.

*Steps off soapbox*

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Reason 213,965 to limit one's exposure on FB. They are the last place I'd expect any privacy.

3. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Facebook is full of nasty little surprises like that...

I closed my account there (after stripping it clean) when both my account and my husbands started getting accepted friends requests from people we'd not sent any requests to.

After checking with a few other friends to see if we could work out who on earth these people were, it turned out they were people from a former Warcraft guild we used to be a part of (and were largely the reason we left) who were on our friends friends lists...

They'd clearly assumed that we must want to be friends with everyone our friends knew and sent the requests on our behalf.

That site is nothing but trouble.

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That's my sense.
    I have an account but have done nothing with it.
    I have a lot of pending friend requests but I'm considering just closing up the account.

5. D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher Account Disabled

Hmmm. I've been feeling odd because I don't have one.

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

You may finally seem like the only intelligent human on Earth.
    Unless your meaning is richer than I think.
    ;-)

#6 D_Gunther Snotpole, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

.....and this is why I point blank refuse to use most social networking sites like FB, due to their lax security, and also dire data handling rules, to which have been flagged several times in the EU.

8. trackdude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A mere technicality but isn't google...

9. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Ever since I joined facebook I have been very aware that even though they say your data is private they cannot really guarantee that. I still use the site and connect with friends on it but I don't use it to share my every move or upload hundreds of photos of me and my friends and family. I think as long as you are aware that anyone could access the information you share online then it's not too terrible. I don't put anything too personal one there and all the information I share I am doing so with the understanding anyone could see it.

Online safety is a relatively new thing, some people really should learn what is safe and what isn't safe to share online.

10. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am so tired of seeing facebook everywhere I go, on tv even. God I wish it would just go away. I use AIM express because I got sick of AIM alerts to updates and it horrible bloat wear for a stupid IM program and now everytime you open AIM express there is fn fackbook shit. Glad to see I'm not the only FB hater out there.

BUT, if it would get me a date with Jessie I'd turn in an second. hehe! love my Jessie Eisenburg. what a cutie.

#10 Deno, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd extrapolate that sentiment to apply to the entire world wide web. While some sites may offer mechanisms to increase privacy, you'll save yourself a lot of grief if you assume that anything you post onto the web can and will be seen by everyone.

12. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Quoted for truth.

Besides who the hell really thinks FB-anything is secure? You place information in the public domain in the context of a site like FB and you takes your lumps.

I've said it before, you are personally responsible for the consequences of sharing information with the rest of the world via the internet so be prepared to deal with whatever those consequences are, if you don't realise that then you're very foolish. People need to wiseup.

13. luka82

Gold Member

Now, when my mum`s friends have started adding me as a friend, I most certainly feel like my privacy is compromised! :rolleyes:

14. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

talk about not being secure.... search your user name here.....

15. Incocknito

Gold Member

You know most computer (and therefore internet) related problems are caused by human error.

Looks like some of you are not paying attention or don't know what it is you are doing when you are (accidentally or intentionally) asking facebook to add people from your email contacts list. Facebook doesn't do that on its own.

This is not about facebook security, it is about the level of expertise (or lack thereof) of the individual user(s).

Obviously Rikter8 has some bad browsing habits.

16. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've had a Facebook for 2 years. Never once been hacked. I've had 1 or 2 friends get hacked in that time, though. Not sure what I seem to be doing right, though.

17. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

Facebook is simple...
    1. friends only to view information
    2. no apps
    3. actually know who your friending

I was more upset when I googled my user name.... my lpsg profile page was viewable.

18. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    A lovely guess, but completely incorrect in my case...

Those who were sent friends requests from my account have never been in email contact with myself, have never been added to anything along the lines of MSN... so even if I had allowed FB to access those lists, these people would not have been found.

The ONLY connect I had with them was a warcraft guild (before they started their social networking associations) and a guild website. They appeared on several of my friends facebook accounts.

So tell me, if FB doesn't do these things off their own back, how exactly did it send these requests to people who's contact information I don't have and never have had?

19. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Excuse you... but I'm posting this because of people I know are having this happen to them.

I'm posting it to help others and increase awareness.

Nothing wrong with my browsing, my security, or my passwords thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted