Facebook Messenger NOT secure

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you have Facebook Messenger to "Do All" your messenger programs, I think you may want to re-consider.

I have gotten numerous IM's from folks on my yahoo messenger list that start out with numerous scripts...where you think your talking to the person...and what they are saying just makes no sense.

Then...when you get the same message from multiple people on your contact list....its worse.

Whats the common factor? Facebook.
Don't allow facebook to "Search" for your friends or provide account passwords to other Instant messaging programs or mail applications. It is very INSECURE.
My Facebook page was hacked 2 DAYS after opening it up. I had to re-set my password to something cryptic to make sure it wouldn't be cracked again.

*Steps off soapbox*

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Reason 213,965 to limit one's exposure on FB. They are the last place I'd expect any privacy.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Facebook is full of nasty little surprises like that...

I closed my account there (after stripping it clean) when both my account and my husbands started getting accepted friends requests from people we'd not sent any requests to.

After checking with a few other friends to see if we could work out who on earth these people were, it turned out they were people from a former Warcraft guild we used to be a part of (and were largely the reason we left) who were on our friends friends lists...

They'd clearly assumed that we must want to be friends with everyone our friends knew and sent the requests on our behalf.

That site is nothing but trouble.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
.....and this is why I point blank refuse to use most social networking sites like FB, due to their lax security, and also dire data handling rules, to which have been flagged several times in the EU.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ever since I joined facebook I have been very aware that even though they say your data is private they cannot really guarantee that. I still use the site and connect with friends on it but I don't use it to share my every move or upload hundreds of photos of me and my friends and family. I think as long as you are aware that anyone could access the information you share online then it's not too terrible. I don't put anything too personal one there and all the information I share I am doing so with the understanding anyone could see it.

Online safety is a relatively new thing, some people really should learn what is safe and what isn't safe to share online.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am so tired of seeing facebook everywhere I go, on tv even. God I wish it would just go away. I use AIM express because I got sick of AIM alerts to updates and it horrible bloat wear for a stupid IM program and now everytime you open AIM express there is fn fackbook shit. Glad to see I'm not the only FB hater out there.

BUT, if it would get me a date with Jessie I'd turn in an second. hehe! love my Jessie Eisenburg. what a cutie.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Reason 213,965 to limit one's exposure on FB. They are the last place I'd expect any privacy.
I'd extrapolate that sentiment to apply to the entire world wide web. While some sites may offer mechanisms to increase privacy, you'll save yourself a lot of grief if you assume that anything you post onto the web can and will be seen by everyone.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ever since I joined facebook I have been very aware that even though they say your data is private they cannot really guarantee that. I still use the site and connect with friends on it but I don't use it to share my every move or upload hundreds of photos of me and my friends and family. I think as long as you are aware that anyone could access the information you share online then it's not too terrible. I don't put anything too personal one there and all the information I share I am doing so with the understanding anyone could see it.

Online safety is a relatively new thing, some people really should learn what is safe and what isn't safe to share online.

I'd extrapolate that sentiment to apply to the entire world wide web. While some sites may offer mechanisms to increase privacy, you'll save yourself a lot of grief if you assume that anything you post onto the web can and will be seen by everyone.

Quoted for truth.

Besides who the hell really thinks FB-anything is secure? You place information in the public domain in the context of a site like FB and you takes your lumps.

I've said it before, you are personally responsible for the consequences of sharing information with the rest of the world via the internet so be prepared to deal with whatever those consequences are, if you don't realise that then you're very foolish. People need to wiseup.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Now, when my mum`s friends have started adding me as a friend, I most certainly feel like my privacy is compromised! :rolleyes:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know most computer (and therefore internet) related problems are caused by human error.

Looks like some of you are not paying attention or don't know what it is you are doing when you are (accidentally or intentionally) asking facebook to add people from your email contacts list. Facebook doesn't do that on its own.

This is not about facebook security, it is about the level of expertise (or lack thereof) of the individual user(s).

Obviously Rikter8 has some bad browsing habits.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Facebook is simple...
1. friends only to view information
2. no apps
3. actually know who your friending

I was more upset when I googled my user name.... my lpsg profile page was viewable.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Looks like some of you are not paying attention or don't know what it is you are doing when you are (accidentally or intentionally) asking facebook to add people from your email contacts list. Facebook doesn't do that on its own.

A lovely guess, but completely incorrect in my case...

Those who were sent friends requests from my account have never been in email contact with myself, have never been added to anything along the lines of MSN... so even if I had allowed FB to access those lists, these people would not have been found.

The ONLY connect I had with them was a warcraft guild (before they started their social networking associations) and a guild website. They appeared on several of my friends facebook accounts.

So tell me, if FB doesn't do these things off their own back, how exactly did it send these requests to people who's contact information I don't have and never have had?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Obviously Rikter8 has some bad browsing habits.

Excuse you... but I'm posting this because of people I know are having this happen to them.

I'm posting it to help others and increase awareness.

Nothing wrong with my browsing, my security, or my passwords thank you.