Facebook murderer jailed for 35 years.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

BBC News - Facebook murderer to serve at least 35 years

A convicted sex offender has been jailed for life after admitting the kidnap, rape and murder of a teenage girl he met on the internet. Peter Chapman, 33, was told by Judge Peter Fox QC he must serve a minimum of 35 years in prison.

Teesside Crown Court heard he met and befriended 17-year-old Ashleigh Hall on Facebook by posing as a teenage boy.

Chapman, who had a history of sex assaults, at first denied the charges, but later changed his plea to guilty.

On sentencing, Judge Fox said Chapman was, and had been for a "considerable time" a "very great" danger to young women.

"For what it is worth, I cannot foresee your release," he said.

Until normal service is resumed, I bring you this pleasant news. I think that the UK Police are now advising that you NEVER meet anyone from a social networking site.

PS - there are no issues with my quoting anything from the BBC.

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

This is the part where people come rushing in and say what awful punishments should have been imposed on the guy. Who wants to start?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

There is no worse punishment than being locked up forever. Ask yourself.

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

35 years is not forever. If he does the whole time he will get out at 68. I don't know if they take time off for good behavior over there, but he should be in for 100 years minimum.

5. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

What hit me most reading the article was the fact that as a convicted sex offender he had been "missing" for some nine months and very little had been done. Maybe this case has highlighted weaknesses in how the UK monitors sex offenders after their release.

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

None, the guy's already punishing hisself enough by fucking up and commiting murder.
    Dig, this yo-yo's worst possible conceivable punishment if he has no remorse is living.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Drifter, does the Crown in the UK have the power to designate these types of criminals as "Dangerous Offenders", as it does in Canada?

Dangerous offender designation

Basically, repeat offenders who cause serious bodily harm and are deemed very likely to re-commit the same type of offense and who pose a threat to public safety, can be declared to be Dangerous Offenders, after sentencing. A violent rapist, who may be released after completing his sentence, can be held for an indeterminate length of time at the discretion of the National Parole Board.

It's really a "lock'em up and throw away the key" law for the most dangerous violent and sexual predators in the country.

8. lopo2000

Gold Member

Who knows facebook can be more than a social platform.. This proves how dangerous it can be, even to criminals... So, guys, don't ever just expose your private information online...

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

Too late, I've already exposed myself!:eek:
    I don't view either the internet or facebook as dangerous - the criminal himself was the danger. Nor would this incident have deterred me from meeting people I had previously interacted with online. You can meet people IRL that you met in cyberspace too. Just heed the precautions given to blueorchid in the following thread:

http://www.lpsg.org/37223-meet-someone-you-have-known.html

10. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Moi I never had any intention of actually meeting any person I interact with online, & with the exception of my boss at Dark Roast Press it has never happened. For me that is the beauty and security of the Internet. It's like hearing all the hit songs first as parodies by the Chipmunks, or Weird Al. A filter between me and the evil human race.

But thanks for the link anyway, dreamer20. it's informative.

11. D_Portelay Porquesword

I have met a few people from online. Some good, some not so good.

I met them only after phone conversations, emails etc.

That man needed more than 35 years.

12. lopo2000

Gold Member

Thank you for the resource! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted