Factors Known to Cause False Positive HIV Antibody Test Results

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by prisioner, Jan 31, 2012.

1. prisioner

prisioner New Member

2. aninnymouse

Gold Member

If you look at the list of References, both of the articles that state that receptive anal intercourse is a factor are fairly old. Not to say any old research is not potentially valid, but one was published in 1988, the other 1993.

So, yeah, I'd take that with a grain of salt.....

/ETA: The article is from 1996, so, Yeah, I would be skeptical of it.

3. prisioner

prisioner New Member

hmmm you're right.. thankyou

btw, whats the history behind ur username? xD

4. erratic

Gold Member

That it's also posted on a website that aims to debunk the theory (and by "theory" I mean "eminently-established fact") that HIV is the virus that causes AIDS draws it into suspicion. Going there to read about HIV would be like going to a meeting of the Flat Earth Society to learn about astronomy.

5. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Heh, No problem. First thing I do, is I go and look at what the references/cited literature is. See what they're talking about. Says a lot about the validity of the research in many cases.

Username? Nothin' in particular, just a funny little play on the word "anonymous" That's all.

6. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well it might admit enough of some of those other things to cause an antibody reaction. Remember, a reaction doesn't mean you've got the disease, just that you've been exposed and created antibodies. So ever after you have a TB jab, you'll test positive for TB (I think).

Just because that article is in on an HIV-denial website doesn't mean it's all wrong. Each of its long list of references is probably scientifically kosher (but you never can tell) and it may be a reach to say all of those things causes a false HIV+ result, just that they correlate with it.

I've had a couple of false HIV+ tests and they're a real bummer. Its just in the nature of a test that when the sensitivity (power to find a real +ve) goes up the selectivity (ability to filter out a false +ve) goes down. That's why you always have a second (more selective) test to confirm a positive. The fact that I've had two of the bastards suggests that there is just a personal factor.

#6 Snozzle, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. D_Harry_Pitz

D_Harry_Pitz New Member

How does that work? You test positive, get a second opinion: positive, third opinion: negative?
    I can not really picture a situation where you get a few (wrong) positive tests and one or more (correct) negative(s).

8. dude_007

Gold Member

I believe he means the initial screening, which is the assay test, is a false positive. Upon confirming with the more accurate but expensive Western blot, the result is negative. One is not confirmed to be HIV+ until both tests are positive.

9. D_Miranda_Wrights

D_Miranda_Wrights Account Disabled

I wouldn't reject studies just because they're old. This isn't something that would probably change over time; it's a matter of whether the methodology was good or not. In this case, although I can't access the study at the moment, I'd say skepticism.

Also, the correlation between receptive anal sex and false positives might simply be a matter of secondary correlation, or what control group they were using (higher false positives than whom? Those who were tested but didn't test positive falsely, i.e. the general population of test subjects? The general population broadly? Huge difference)

10. D_Harry_Pitz

D_Harry_Pitz New Member

He said:
    Which means there was more than one initial screening that gave a false positive. I was just wondering what the exact story is behind this. This sounds like bad news to me.

11. buffbaldy

buffbaldy New Member

Albums:
    I test positive for Hep B but my blood work shows 100% function over three month tests. Dr. says it is probably false positive exposed but never acquired. My Dr also says there are HIV resistant individuals.

12. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well they were years apart and I've had other negatives since then and kept good health, so it looks like just a couple of spots of bad luck. They may be more common than you might think - it's not something people easily talk about.

Draft saved Draft deleted