Fake Tan

D_Abraham Slinkin

Account Disabled
Media
Hi Guys.
We all know how dangerous sun exposure is, so us pale people are more and more turning to Fake Tan. I'm not looking or won't welcome any 'Don't use Fake Tan' responses' before I even begin.

Which Fake Tan do people on here use/recommend? Saint Tropez Mousse looks the best after reading reviews online, but what do people think?

Discuss. :smile:

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you're going to do one I'd say go to a tanning salon and get the stand up spray on. It lasts longer and looks far more natural. And you don't run the risk of streaks (which you'd be stuck with for weeks) or your palms or nails turning orange, or it coming off on your clothes and the sofa, etc.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I still go into the actual sun, but after years of my doctor telling me about this new thing-a-ma-gig called sun screen I just recently decided to listen. I think as long as you don't burn yourself it's safe, but if you have very fair skin talk to a dermatologist.

D_Abraham Slinkin

Account Disabled
Media
I don't tan in the real sun for two reasons. One the Cancer risks, which are so high it's scary. And secondly because Sun damage is the biggest aging device known. If you sunbathe all your life by the time you reach 40 you'll look about 60. Both Health and Vanity reasons not to expose yourself to the sun.

As well it's actually almost impossible to get a natural tan in England considering 95% of days are overcast.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't tan in the real sun for two reasons. One the Cancer risks, which are so high it's scary. And secondly because Sun damage is the biggest aging device known. If you sunbathe all your life by the time you reach 40 you'll look about 60. Both Health and Vanity reasons not to expose yourself to the sun.

As well it's actually almost impossible to get a natural tan in England considering 95% of days are overcast.

I see your point on some of your issues, but would you care to look at my gallery and take a guess at how old I am? I guess I've been very lucky! Before I moved back to Hawaii I tried the faux tan things in winter and always looked orange. Chanel used to make something that looked real and smelled wonderful but they discontinued it for some reason.

prepky

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
when in a pinch on time or need a quick tan, I do the spray tan at my local salon!!! it looks really natural and not orange. The only think is you have to make sure to use the lotion that keeps your cuticles from tanning as well.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like the VersaSpa spray tan machine. NudeYorker is right... Real sun is best in moderation. The body's melanin is the best sunscreen...but you have to get in the sun for the body to produce it. Also, real sun is a good source of vitamin D. I'm not a big fan of Sunscreen..but I will use it on days I plan to be in the sun for a long time. I think sunscreen companies have played the fear card too long to boost sales. It's kind of interesting, those people that work in the sun the most are the ones that have the least amount of skin issues. Whereas, the people that panic and use lots of sunscreen are the ones in the dermatologist getting lesions and skin cancers removed. Think about it. :) A lil' real sun is a good thing. *in moderation* ANYWAY, as I said at the beginning...the versaspa is the best stand up sprayer I've used and it doesn't give you that Jersey Shore orange look. No orange color is in the mix. I've had it done twice and everyone thought I had been on a trip ... they couldn't believe it was spray tan. Mystic tans are orange...avoid those big time. :)

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
On this one everything you do depends on your genetics. If you have a family history of skin cancer it simply is not worth it. Back in the 1950's and 1960's nobody knew the long term effects of UV exposure. Now we know that the time and the parts of the light and UV spectrum that are most damaging.

My Biological Mother by the time she left this world in 2001 had a total of 21 skin cancers burned off of her face, arms and body. These were a mix of both basil and squamous cell carcinomas. There is also a relationship between sun exposure and melanoma cancer to some degree. Basil cell is rarely fatal, but, both squamous and melanoma can be if not caught early.

My biological Father had suffered through the removal of (7) skin cancers in a combination of both basil and squamous cell carcinoma before his passing at age 77 in 1994.

When I was in my teens because of acne I underwent skin treatments to peel my face to eliminate acne scarring. Those treatments which were a standard in the later years of the 1960's consisted of high dosage UV lighting and then a rubdown with dry ice and acetone to kill the top layer of skin and peel it off. Here I was a fair skinned blonde haired and blue eyed dude with a family history of skin cancer and this is what they did.

So far I have made it to 57 years old and I have been clear, but to me based on my family history it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

For years we have had ways to change this and this is easy. One has to go to their MD and they can be given a drug called Trisoralen. This is a pigmenting agent that brings melatonin to the surface causing a tan from the inside out. Another thing currently under study at the University of Arizona in Tucson are the peptides which are trade named "Melanotan" and Melanotan II" "Melanotan II" has some interesting sexual side effects as well.

I would agree that the success or failure of externally applied products can look pretty darned awful if the skin tone and the product do not agree with each other.

The internal drugs do work well. There was a famous book written about a man's experiences using Trisoralen back in the 1960's.

I have not thought about this for years, but this thread brought those old thoughts back.

Personally I am trying desperately to become part of the Arizona medical study because I have an incredible family history of Skin cancer especially on my maternal side.

I have seen the "old leather" look that sun baking can do to some people. This is not true of everybody who does it, and there are a percentage of individuals who do not suffer this problem. It is caused by the UV breaking down the collagen in the skin I am told.

Living out in the desert southwest where I do, I see a great number of people who work on ranches and what sun exposure has done to them. Most of all I see it in my other half who spends a great deal of time on a freight dock and inspecting truck loads. I am eleven (11) years older than he is, but the skin on his face looks ten years older than mine does and I attribute this to the UV exposure.

On this one I would rather error on the side of caution and go a decent artificial route than run the risk of squamous or melanoma. The only decent route is the medical pigmenting agents and not things applied from the outside. The internal pigmenting agents which act on your melatonin give you what would be a natural tan for you and you can get it quite dark without wrecking the moisture or collagen of your skin.

Play it safe people. . . . I have seen the down side of this one personally many times!

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
There's nothing worse than a fake orange tan as exemplified in the extreme by the kids from Jersey Shore, and also by George Hamilton. They just look so gross to me. Natural is always the way to go as far as I'm concerned, especially if you want to avoid the risks associated with sun tans. There is nothing wrong with fair skin. I'd prefer a pale guy over an orange guy any day!

DeepDish

Experimental Member
Media
Sun in moderation. If you want fake tan, get a spray-on at a tanning salon as others have recommended. Even coverage, natural color.