Faked Fouls

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While watching World Cup coverage and watching players writhe on the ground in agony after collisions the slow mo playback reveals never happened I'm reminded of other moments in sports where a player took a dive in order to have a foul called on the opposing team. The referee has to make a call the moment it happens and, lacking the benefit of multi-angle replays, can often be suckered into calling a foul incorrectly.

A player crashes to the ground, apparently tripped by an opposing player. Foul! Only the camera shows later that no part of his body ever made contact with the other person.

A player has his arms outstretched preparing to take a shot when another player runs neck first into his arm. It may look like a deliberate clothesline but it isn't.

I'm not an avid sports fan so my questions to those who are is just how often does this happen? Are there teams or players who are notorious for this tactic? When did you start to notice that game playing was becoming just as important as playing THE game? Isn't this anathema to true sportsmanship?

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Suarez of Argentina was bad. Normally the ref is close enough to see what's going on...unless he's one of those wanker referees

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this the kinda thing you mean - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9jjEqRfqoM ?

Hilarious and with a perfect soundtrack.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm talking about only it seems athletes these days are better actors or better able to plan their injuries before the collision.

The lag time between contact and the "injury" in that clip are priceless. You can actually see the "how can I use this?" go through their minds.

*Edit. That was worth a second watch. Can you imagine someone trying to take a dive on Vinnie Jones? He'd make certain the injury were real before he left the field.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah I don't like those fake fouls. They use to serve us Mock Chicken in the cafeteria and it tasted like crap.

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
The Spain/ Portugal game was great, one of the best of the tourny because the ref refused to call fouls, thus lessening the dives and fakers, once they realized they wouldn't be getting the calls. Play on.

It was only 1-0 final but a great tactical, fast moving match. A futbol lover's delight.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
If you're an old fart like me and adhere to the corinthian spirit, you will get riled by these professional fouls and play acting.

Landon Donovan is a great example of how to play the game for me. He took some heavy but fair tackles and got up and played on, whilst some "superstars" would still be rolling around as if they had been shot.

Good point about the refs not taking any shit, there is also post match suspension for cheating, which I think the authorities should use more, and finally, we can vote with our feet.

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is probably my least favorite aspect of itnl. football. A bunch of babies rolling around in agony when clearly there was no contact is absolutely despicable... and they're starting to crack down on that shit with yellow cards.

Also, what the fuck is up with the refs refusing the technological assistance (replays)? Foolish pride, anyone?

Just my two cents.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Also, what the fuck is up with the refs refusing the technological assistance (replays)? Foolish pride, anyone?

The sensible answer is that it would reduce the fluidity of the game. A bit like basketball, I suppose, the game is best when it flows end to end.

The dumb answer which comes from the game's money masters is that controversy is good for the $ game.