family euphemisms

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Apologies in advance for lowering the tone. I like the more recent expression, "I wouldn't fuck him/her with yours."

This is an old one, "The woman who thinks the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, has set her sights a little too high."

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Euphemisms
just think of all the pollitically correct stuff.
Use this phrase and replace the last word.
"Let's just say he is/ has ...."

Retarded = special
ugly = unique look
handicapped = handicapable, faces more challenges
fat = heavy, large, heavy set, thick, bigger, robust, big boned
old = mature
dumb = inexperianced in that area
midgets = God's special people
pimple faced = ate too much chocolate
flat chested = perky
big breasted = volumptuous

Hope this helps. Now come out with some more.

A Few More:

faggot = homosexual male
gimp = cripple
wetback = Mexican

But I think those you've referenced fall more into the category of negative epithets than they do euphemisms. There's an attempt at being kind and understanding when a euphemism is employed rather than a derogatory adjective.

You bring up an interesting point. It appears many have trouble with being what's now been deemed "politically correct" with the conservatives among us.

I've never had a problem using black for black people. Hispanic for those of various Spanish/mixed backgrounds, or physically challenged for cripple.

Seems little to ask.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was at a HOLLYWOOD party several years ago and someone who had been very good friends with Carolyn Jones was telling a story about her when she had a terrible hangover... He said to her "Carolyn my mother always told me if you want to dance...you have to pay the fiddler!" She replied "Darling if that's the case I should keep him on retainer!"

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My son refers to black people as "brown". It's something he just started doing on his own, and I've never bothered correcting him because I think it's actually more PC than calling them "black". The first time I heard him say it, he was trying to tell me about a new friend he'd made whose name he didn't get (he's horrible about asking people their names) and I asked him curiously who told him to say "brown". And he gave me a quizzical look and said "No one. He just doesn't have white skin, he has brown skin." I didn't want to necessarily discourage him, but I told him that most people refer to them as black or African American, but brown made sense too because they aren't actually black. He just smiled. He still calls them brown though. :tongue:

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A Few More:

faggot = homosexual male
gimp = cripple
wetback = Mexican

But I think those you've referenced fall more into the category of negative epithets than they do euphemisms. There's an attempt at being kind and understanding when a euphemism is employed rather than a derogatory adjective.

You bring up an interesting point. It appears many have trouble with being what's now been deemed "politically correct" with the conservatives among us.

I've never had a problem using black for black people. Hispanic for those of various Spanish/mixed backgrounds, or physically challenged for cripple.

Seems little to ask.

Yes, but not all Mexicans are wetbacks. Wetback is really a term for an illegal alien. So if you are in a converstion and there is a Mexican in the group, a person might even feel uncompfortable saying illegal alien. So a person may say undocumented worker.

Homosexual would be: a man with an alternative lifestlye, so you wont say the "dirty" word homosexual. "Not in front of the children!!!":rolleyes:

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I once got the bollocking of my life for asking a black guy if he wanted his coffee black or white

"Chalk boards"... Its a fucking black board, its always been a black board, it always will be.

I have never heard the term "white coffee" in my life. Is that a UK term?

Chalk boards make more sense. Why? Because every single one I saw growing up was green. Even a teacher pointed out that they should not call them blackboards because they are not black. And greenboards sounds stupid. Chalkboard actually describes what it is.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have never heard the term "white coffee" in my life. Is that a UK term?

Chalk boards make more sense. Why? Because every single one I saw growing up was green. Even a teacher pointed out that they should not call them blackboards because they are not black. And greenboards sounds stupid. Chalkboard actually describes what it is.

I remember when I was very young the chlalkboards were black and a short time later they were green, I had completely forgot about that until your post.
In NY many people ask if you want your coffee light or dark.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
he's "that way" as opposed to gay

"his roomate" when referring to my brothers boyfriend

And I couldn't be anymore sickened when my older brother chooses to make a joke about my Dad and his 86 year old girlfriend in a sexual context.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Kotchanski said:
"Chalk boards"... Its a fucking black board, its always been a black board, it always will be. Sorry, but a white board is a white board, no one wants to change that, so why are we changing black boards to chalk boards? Do they really want me to believe that the teacher saying "Right I'm going to write something on the white board, you have to remember it and copy it out once I've flipped it over the black board" is going to have little black kids world wide in tears? Sorry, white people need to stop thinking every black person out there is a fucking moron with the emotional stability of pregnant woman being told she looks fat.

You make a wonderful point.

Here's where I'm going with my PC thing Kotch:

I've been posting rather heavily on YouTube lately. It seems that the most conservative of the conservative appear to take significant exception to having to be "forced" (as they see it) to refrain from "nigger", "faggot", "butt pirate", "wetback".... you get my drift.

Of course it is YouTube so all the blatherers get to work out their shit without fear of accountability.

Those are the kinds of things I mean.

To illustrate I'll tell you that one of my dad's favorite expressions was "how now brown cow?" He'd say it when in a good mood. There was nothing racial in it.

We had but two black students in our 8th grade class. One gal was lovely and she and I became pretty friendly. However that friendship ended when (and I think this is what you're getting at) she said "Good morning [Stronzo]!"

I replied without a second's thought "Georgina! How now brown cow?" :confused:

As the words were exiting my mouth I realized they could be construed to be racist. But they never were intended as such.

We barely spoke ever again.

I made no effort to apologize since to do so would have simply added (perceived) insult to injury.

We're a sensitive bunch we humans.

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have never seen a green one in my life, they have always been black, even when I made my for my children, the only option for the paint used was black, maybe that is a UK thing, but that is why they were always called black boards at least here.

As for coffee, everyone I know, always says "black or white?" apart from when they're asking a black guy :rolleyes:

We also had green chalkboards growing up and called them chalkboards. Come to think of it, most waitresses (is that the PC term?) ask my honey and me if we want cream with our coffee! Hmmm. I'll have to pay special attention in the future as to the terminology used. (He's black - his term!)

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are times when being PC can be taken too far.

At one time, I worked in an industrial setting. There were 2 other colleagues in my immediate group: an older white gentleman (in his 70's), and a black gentleman (20's). There were also a lot of young white gents working in the same area.

I ran into a white guy out on the floor with a problem he needed to have resolved. He mentioned that he'd given the details to a guy who worked with me, but couldn't remember the guy's name. He kept hemming and hawing, describing the guy about so tall, and black hair, mid-20's to mid-30's, etc. I kept naming names and he kept saying "no, no, that's not right. "

I later found out that he meant the black guy who worked with me (and he was the ONLY black guy who worked with me), but couldn't bring himself to describe him as "black." Oh, well. We eventually got ONE of his problems resolved! Lol

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My grandpa used to say"Hold the fort down,gotta go see a man about a horse!"What he meant was he was going to find a spot to piss and I was to stay put.lol

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My father was always a fan of "Put that in your pipe and smoke it."

Other than that, I can't really remember any. I'll ask my dad when he gets home tho. :tongue:

oh yes i remember the first time i heard hubby say this. only he adds something to the end of it. his version of this when hes on the winning side of a discussion he says, now put that in your pipe an smoke it grandpa. another one is, I'm from the old school. an back in my day we didn't do that. also his favorite i think is when seeing someone do something in a [ according to his way of seeing things lol ] he says, this modern lazy generation now days. as if he is not part of them in some way lol. but have to admit being lazy defiantly isn't part of his life style. but he like most is just carrying on the family way or traditional way of talking an getting their point across. coming to mind is another one . when the phone would ring back then, someone would say no one here but us chickens. also the guys would say pull over i got to drain my radiator. [referring to having to take a leak off the side of the road.] my brother in-law who was a veteran. always would say after a good meal. now that was good grocery's.

Last edited:

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Welcome back Stronzo.

The only one that springs to mind came from my Grandmother.....'Good eggs and bacon'...meaning everything is A-OK!

yes this to was an older one hubby's grandpa would always say at almost every meal time. he would say,, we would have ham an eggs, if we had ham an eggs. got to love the elderly. their full of history an sayings as well.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
My mom used to say little expressions around us using Creole French, and often gave the meaning of what she was saying. We, unfortunately, didn't pick up on the use of it however and therefore it'd become (for us at least) a lost "art".

I do remember a number of little colloquialisms and sayings from my wife's family, however. The guys used to get together on a regular basis and play nickle and dime poker, which, at the time, was a game I was just learning. When once wondering aloud why I wasn't getting any good hands, her grandfather remarked, "You're holdin' yer mouth wrong."

Another phrase often heard in general kitchen roundhouse discussions was, "[they] don't have pot nor window."

(meaning: Not pot to pee in nor window to toss it out of, an expression suggesting the person was living beyond his/her means).