Family nudity

S Raz

Cherished Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
View attachment 18385551

"During the 1920s and 1930s a few trampers followed a trend popular in Germany – freikörperkultur (free body culture). Naked swimming at the end of a hot day was common in the Tararua Range near Wellington. Men and women would soak in different river pools. Enthusiasts walked the tracks naked, especially if it was mid-week and the weather was hot. These Tararua Tramping Club members pose with their ice axes after swimming in a stream near the Tasman Glacier." The text and picture are from Te Ara. The picture credit is the Tararua Tramping Club. From this information naked tramping began in the 1920s rather than in the immediate post world war two years.​
Thanks. We need more accounts like this ❤️

Reactions: happynakedbob

S Raz

Cherished Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
V
This publication covers the hidden history of gay naturism in NZ. Brickell, C. (2008). Mates & lovers: A history of gay New Zealand. Auckland, New Zealand: Random House, 430p.
Very cool. I love those photos of young men in swimming holes, soldiers and wrestlers. Definitely less taboo about the whole thing.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hmmm. We are relaxed about clothes around the house, or maybe that's just me with my ambivalence to clothing.

The other half and I have a kid, and we have never made a big thing about being naked or covering up. So for instance, I'm having a bath, the kid will come in a pop herself on the loo and the other half will come in and next thing you know there's a family meeting in the bathroom.

It's not an issue.

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes and a healthy relationship with your own is a good thing, I think.

?

Howard1122

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Was that a Windows upgrade or a macOS upgrade?
Just a new machine. As luck has it I managed to get the lost images resent. This is one. The photographer is Robert Cant. He was a gay early NZ photographer based in the Wairarapa. The image is taken at the Waiohine River about 1890. BGantSwimmingMED(1).jpg

japetty

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just a new machine. As luck has it I managed to get the lost images resent. This is one. The photographer is Robert Cant. He was a gay early NZ photographer based in the Wairarapa. The image is taken at the Waiohine River about 1890. View attachment 18547451

The way it sounded I thought you may have gone from an older version of the OS to a newer version of say from Windoz 8.1 to Windoz 10. Windows is famous for doing things as you described. I have not seen that with macOS as yet. Only been using macOS about 5 years though and have been through a few upgrades of the macOS and have not seen that yet. I have my own NAS system and it auto BU once a month. NAS is the way to go as you can use it from far away over the internet securely. My son even backs up to it and he is about 5 hours away. A buddy that lives in IA stores a bunch of Photographs. This buddy has decided to get his own NAS system as he lost several gig of photographs when his USB off board drive failed and nothing could be recovered. NAS system copies what you put in the NAS to another HDD on the system allowing backup should on HDD fail. My NAS has 2 - 4TB HDD. I am thinking of changing to a new NAS that uses SSD drives but SSD drives tn those capacities are a bit expensive yet. These NAS systems work well with all mobile devices. Synology the brand I use furnishes apps for most popular OS today.

Glad you were able to find the Photographs you were looking to find.

Howard1122

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I got copies re emailed since I recalled who had sent them. What is inexplicable though is why it was not possible to transfer the saved emails over to the new system. A technician is looking at that again, and saying there were no instructions to do this originally. One of the images is above, in my post. The other is a montage of pictures from a display board, good reproduction I must say, of a forgotten part of the history of naturism in Wellington. In 1943, those that went on to found the Wellington Sun Club, bought a block of bush in Stokes Valley and used this initially for naturism under canvas by the way. At that time Stokes Valley, now completely urban, was rural though the top had been sub-divided into blocks used for weekend retreats, summer holidays, with some baches, amazing as it sounds, where the precuser to the Sun Club was located.

japetty

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got copies re emailed since I recalled who had sent them. What is inexplicable though is why it was not possible to transfer the saved emails over to the new system. A technician is looking at that again, and saying there were no instructions to do this originally. One of the images is above, in my post. The other is a montage of pictures from a display board, good reproduction I must say, of a forgotten part of the history of naturism in Wellington. In 1943, those that went on to found the Wellington Sun Club, bought a block of bush in Stokes Valley and used this initially for naturism under canvas by the way. At that time Stokes Valley, now completely urban, was rural though the top had been sub-divided into blocks used for weekend retreats, summer holidays, with some baches, amazing as it sounds, where the precuser to the Sun Club was located.

Thanks for the reply, I learned something I did not know! Yes, the photo's should have transferred with out issue but as you found out shit happens, to bad it was on an item like that.

Reactions: Howard1122

Howard1122

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Just a new machine. As luck has it I managed to get the lost images resent. This is one. The photographer is Robert Cant. He was a gay early NZ photographer based in the Wairarapa. The image is taken at the Waiohine River about 1890. View attachment 18547451
BGant swimming colourised..jpg

The colourised version. Isn't it just stunning.

Leedsguy69

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmmm. We are relaxed about clothes around the house, or maybe that's just me with my ambivalence to clothing.

The other half and I have a kid, and we have never made a big thing about being naked or covering up. So for instance, I'm having a bath, the kid will come in a pop herself on the loo and the other half will come in and next thing you know there's a family meeting in the bathroom.

It's not an issue.

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes and a healthy relationship with your own is a good thing, I think.

?
Totally agree

japetty

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
View attachment 18584801
The colourised version. Isn't it just stunning.
bgant-swimming-colourised-jpg.18584801

The color seems to give life to the photograph. This appears to be a day of the guys (Boys after school on a hot day) at the swimming hole. The colorization really makes it something you want to frame in some way and put it on display, but would take the antiquity value of the black and white away in my opinion. I am no expert though by no means.

Reactions: carsonmccullers

Howard1122

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In those days no one had bathing costumes so swimming was gender separated and in the buff. So I guess if you wanted to swim you just had to get over shyness. But I suspect they guys at that time just wern't
Bathing costumes date from about 1910. Though bathing parade in WW1 was in the buff. Costumes were not popular being a heavy woolen garment. Naked bathing was generally the rule before that, but segregated where commercial swimming pools were used. The practice of going naked did not apply to women and girls. Newspapers of the day took exception to male nudity and ran regular campaigns demanding Police intervention. Evenso the reports show how wide spread the practice was even at the central Wellington wharves. Nudity continued to be the rule at thermal resorts into the late 1960s.

Howard1122

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
This article is actually unusual as it is wholly descriptive, but does illustrate well the attitude in the 19th century to male nudity in this case rather incidental to the story.

An amusing occurrence.

Thames Star, 16 January 1897.

The Wairarapa Daily relates that eight Carterton youths went out on a Sunday for a ramble, and decided on a bath in the Waiohine. They accordingly took to the water, not far from a Maori pah, and finding a native canoe took it to midstream and had at good time diving from it. Some Maori women came along and objected to the boys using the canoe; and at last, as a protest, one matron seized an armful of clothing and made off. This brought the youngsters ashore in quick time, and a string of naked youths were soon chasing the portly native woman over fences and across paddocks, the other women and some native picaninnies yelling like thunder joining in the run. At last one long-legged youth, made desperate by the sight of his nether garment vanishing overtook the runaway and tripped her up, both coming down heavily. He then tried to wrest the clothes from her, but she was determined to avenge her fall, and with her teeth tore several articles to shreds. The remnants were gathered and amidst the derisive laughter of the native belles, the boys beat a sorrowful retreat to the beach. On making an inventory it was found that three socks and a pair of braces were unaccounted for, one pair of trousers (the pockets containing money and other things) had quite disappeared, while two shirts and another pair of pants were damaged beyond repair. The outing is likely to be remembered.