Fans of Monty Python

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just heard that due to the success of Spamalot, Eric Idle is
writting a new stage musical based on The Life of Brian.
The early working title is something like :

He's not really god, just a naughty boy.

It is going to premeire in Toronto this summer.

I can't wait

:smile:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Life of Brian is very funny, but Holy Grail is in a class by itself. Each sketch in it stands on its own as a treasured piece of pop culture.

I sometimes leave extremely obscure HG references in my postings, but I haven't had many takers. Perhaps people just didn't expect them from me. For example, I still haven't figured out why LPSG member, Roger The Shrubber, doesn't seem to notice my "Ni!" posts in his threads. "These are dark times indeed..."

Not to OT the thread, but I am also a devoted fan of Fawlty Towers.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
ALL RIGHT I'AM THE Messiah! I can't F"ing wait. I love Monty Python. Especially Terry Gilliam and John Cleese and Eric Idle. So this new show promises to be a new classic. But maybe after this one is a hit maybe Meaning of Life will be next? Can't you just see a musical version of Mr. Creosote.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While I find old MP lines like "irrepressibly drab and awful", "poke her - with the soft cushions!", "it's only a flesh wound - come back and fight, you pansy!", "bloody Vikings!", "this is an ex-parrot", "and there was great rejoicing", "What, the curtains?", "place it here beside this one - only a little higher so we get a two level effect, with a little path," and "Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul," surprisingly useful in day-to-day conversation, kids these days don't know any of that stuff. MP's heyday was thirty years ago.

Little twerps don't know what they missed.

Hmm, thirty years ... I still haven't entirely recovered from the vision of Castle Anthrax.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While I find old MP lines like "irrepressibly drab and awful", "poke her - with the soft cushions!", "it's only a flesh wound - come back and fight, you pansy!", "bloody Vikings!", "this is an ex-parrot", "and there was great rejoicing", "What, the curtains?", "place it here beside this one - only a little higher so we get a two level effect, with a little path," and "Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul," surprisingly useful in day-to-day conversation, kids these days don't know any of that stuff. MP's heyday was thirty years ago.

Little twerps don't know what they missed.

Hmm, thirty years ... I still haven't entirely recovered from the vision of Castle Anthrax.

I agree. Many of the MP references are useful in conversation unless people haven't heard of them. I volunteered to read from The Book of Armaments in a chuch council meeting one time, but all I got was blank stares. "Three shall be the number of the counting. Thou shalt not count to two, except on thy way to three. Five is right out!..."

When I am reading something to my wife out loud and she finds it boring she always says, "skip ahead, Brother Maynard.". Or if the church service liturgy contains a really obscure Biblical passage that makes no sense, she will usually mutter to me, "... and fruit bats and breakfast cereals....".

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I thought I was the only person in the world who preferred 'Holy Grail':cool:
I've found that most Python afficianados prefer 'Holy Grail'.I always thought it was their best work.
I'd really like to see a DVD release of 'Life Of Brian' with all the deleted scenes.There's supposed to be a whole sub-plot involving the suicide squad but they only appear in the crucifixion scene in the released version.Terry Jones has said he cut out a lot of good material for no other reason than running length.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've always had the impression that there was much more unseen material than the 5 deleted scenes on previous releases of 'Life Of Brian'.The movies are only available as a box set in the UK at the moment.
A big re-issue campaign is about to get underway at the end of March beginning with the first 2 tv series so we'll see if anything new has been unearthed.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any Fawlty Towers fans here?

"Que!"

"He's from Barcelona, you see."

"Bitte, Ich wolle ein Auto miete"
"Oh, I see, you are voluteering to go out and get the meat. No need. We haff meat heir in zee building!!!"

"German women? I wouldn't give them the time of day. ...Good card players, though."

"Don't mention the war, Polly. I did once, but I think I got away with it."

"You started it!" "No, YOU started it. You invaded Poland!"

"The German's" episode is my favorite.

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i'm not sure its necessary to rank and choose between Holy Grail and Life of Brian, to an extent ignoring Meaning of Life and And Now For Something Completely Different. that's like asking which real woman on this site i'd love to have sex with MORE. a truly life wasting endeavor to spend time eliminating even one.

"he's running away, he's chickening out..."

"i told 'em we already GOT one"

"let's go to the stoning!"

"how NOT to be found..."

"i couldn't eat another bite"

"the aqueduct..." (a line used in this site, to no applause)

"eh eh, nudge nudge, know whata mean, know whata mean..."

"WHATS IT LIKE"

"i just want to SIINNNGGGG"

"life's a piece of shit,
when you look at it"

"the....... larch......."

"don't bother with the myrrh next time"

"alms for an ex-leper?"

"SPLITTASSS!!!"

"i didn't vote for him"