Farewell and thank you, S. Pavarotti.

ladsonbehr49

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
the world is truly a more bland place without the great one now however his voice will be heard now and forever through recordings. Rest in peace maestro and may you and caruso sing like nobody has heard before up there.

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh my God. :( I was listening to NPR today whilst driving my brother to school and I heard the news. I feel truly saddened by the loss of Pavarotti... I have many fond memories of times in the past where I remember listening to Pavarotti. My grandfather introduced me to the lively tenor and ever since I've been so fond of his contributions to music as we know it.

The world is truly changed for the worst. :(

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, he is gone but think about the beautiful music he left behind for us to savor. He also brought a whole new audience to the enjoyment of Opera through his down to earth manner. He took a relatively obscure aria sang it at the World cup and made it a theme for victory. May his beautiful soul rest in peace.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sad. I am honored to have seen him perform (all three tenors together) -- what a voice!

The above link didn't work on my computer -- this one did: Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

Never got to see the three, but saw him at Lincoln Center. I still get choked up hearing Nessum Dorma.

It's profoundly moving that the lyrics to his best-known aria should mean so much at his passing. Truly, he conquered.

No one sleeps

No one sleeps, no one sleeps...
Even you, o Princess,
In your cold room,
Watch the stars,
That tremble with love
And with hope.

But my secret is hidden within me;
My name no one shall know, no, no,
On your mouth I will speak it*
When the light shines,
And my kiss will dissolve the silence
That makes you mine.

No one will know his name
And we must, alas, die.

Vanish, o night!
Set**, stars!
At daybreak, I shall conquer!

* "Dire sulla bocca", literally "to say on the mouth", is a poetic Italian way of saying "to kiss."

** "Tramontate" literally means "go behind the mountains", but it's the word Italians use for sunset and the like.

Translation by Mark Lew