Fashion Help?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by fizzle, Jul 8, 2009.

1. fizzle

fizzle New Member

Albums:
    So I really struggle with how to dress and what looks nice, my wardrobe is old and really "gross".

Growing up I never really had much money so I took whatever kind of clothing I could get and I guess that sense of dress just stuck with me (I bought my first Polo this year).

My friends joke around with my clothing style and now that I am living comfortably, i'd like to up my appearance with clothing.

Basically I want to change my overall dressing style to an appearance to lets say be acceptable to enter a club, or just go out to dinner for a friends birthday...away from the look like i'm getting ready to go work construction or participate in an athletic event.

Are there any guides to dress or stores I really can't go too wrong with when shopping or any advice anyone has? Maybe someone here has had a similar transformation and give me any advice.

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Maybe more bodytype features you can provide?

3. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is there anyone's style you would like to emulate?

Check out magazines: Details, GQ, Esquire, Men's Vogue

4. fizzle

fizzle New Member

Albums:
    I dont have my cam handy but I'll just go with a description (i'll work on getting some pics up later on).

I'm pretty slender weighing 150lbs and being about 5"9. I generally just get medium t-shirts.

I'm just trying to steer away from the jean shorts / crappy t-shirt all the time.

edit: I'll look into those now

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Give me a little more information about yourself. (If you would like to send it via PM that's fine)
    What is your occupation?
    Do you live in an urban area?
    How old are you?
    Do you define yourself as being trendy or more conservative?
    What do you consider the top price you would pay for a pair of shoes?

6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Try stuff from Zara, they are nice and always new.
    or go to a more exclusive shop and ask advice there, they can help better and show you what is suitable for you :smile:

7. fizzle

fizzle New Member

Albums:
    I don't mind giving out most information here:
    * I live in washington DC
    * I'd have to say more conservative.
    * Shoes...hmm currently I think the most expensive pair i've bought is about $100 haha.

8. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Well, you can't really go wrong with:

- dark jeans (not black ones, but just dark blue ones). And it can be faded, but not too much.
    - Black shirt (not a T-shirt, but more something like this: clicketyclick ). And if that's too formal, just roll up the sleeves and tadaa: casual.

I'd go primarily with that kind of shirts and just roll up the sleeves instead of T-shirts. Or a combination of them of course.

And promise me you'll never wear jeans shorts ever again.

#8 Gl3nn, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

OK then with what you have told me. I would say that you would do well with some good quality khaki's a good navy blue blazer and some white cotton long sleeve shirts. I always say if you trend more toward conservative buy good quality fabrics and start building a strong basics that you can put together with other things. Gray flannel works great in the fall and winter with the navy blue. Try buying fabric weights that work two or three seasons.
    If you are so inclined, visit a personal shopper at Nieman Marcus or Saks and tell them what you have in mind and what your budget is. The beauty of classic's is they don't go out of style, so if you buy better workmanship and fabrics you can wear them for years.
    BTW...you need to get over your fear of buying good shoes! Your feet will thank you.

Someone gave me some advice years ago, buy the best that you can afford and what you feel comfortable in and you will never go wrong. Also keep in mind when buying more expensive items....the size that you and I wear generally will go on sale because we don't wear the same size as the average american.
    Clothes should be a reflection of what you are projecting to the world. Not what magazines and the sales staff in stores tell you is in or out!

10. inwait8

inwait8 Active Member

Albums:
    From how you've described yourself my idea for a one stop shopping experience would be J. Crew. There are several in the DC area and they offer personal shoppers.

11. srkog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    a good pair of khakis can be both comfortable and stylish. I also find that they breath pretty well, so you can comfortably wear them in warmer weather.

12. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Oh Geez, just go into a store and start trying stuff on. Maybe even try something you wouldnt normally gravitate to. The proof is how it looks on and how it fits and if you feel good in it..

13. sevenbysixinch

sevenbysixinch New Member

Albums:
    START with a pair of good fitting jeans. Make sure they fit well, all over. Baggy jeans are repulsive. Dark denim is good, raw or dry if you can find them.
    Get some not too tight but tight white, black, and cranberry colored t-shirts. Look for higher quality, don't get the kind that come in 3 packs.

Get some stylish canvas shoes, vans or converse are fine. And get a leather belt. From then on you can be creative with jackets, graphic tees etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted