Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Used converter from CM to FT / KG to LBS
(Sorry for my English)

Height: 174cm/5ft + 8.50in
Weight: 111kg/244Lbs

Some background:
I have an old injury (broken bone in the knee) and recent injury (twited knee on the broken leg) which happened multiple times over the years.
I limp as I walk and I don't have good balance generally which is noticeable.
For years I've had low self-esteem because of it

It is just recently that I started taking private workout trainer to address these issues and for the purpose of course to lose weight.
I'm noticing an improvemnet with the way I walk and my balance.
Number of workout sessions to date: 12 (twice a week)

The most important aspect of the private workout is the privacy. I'm very conscious and somewhat ashamed working out with people around
because I am more "clumsy" when I do exercises and of course I'm overweight.

Generally I'm very pleased with this personal trainer of mine because he immediately understood that I need to work on my balance,
the way I walk, my back, and strengthening leg muscles and not just jump into weight lifting and standard exercises.

However, the problem I have with him is that he doesn't have a "proper" place to do the workout sessions.
We do it in a room which belongs to the building he lives at, which is just a regular room with some chairs and has no gym equipment, no gym mattress, no AC and most importantly no showers!

I change clothes in the room before and after workout in front of him (which I don't necessarily mind). After each workout I sweat a lot and I need to change back to my closths when I'm all sweaty and sticky. This whole experience is very uncomfortable for me and I'm considering heavily switching to a private trainer at a proper gym with showers at least!
The main issue I have with a standard gym is the privacy which I mentioned above. While the workout session is one-on-one. I still have to do it
while other people are around. I feel out of place. I'm also uncomfortable showering with other people around not at all becuase of the nudity, but becase of my weight.
If I weren't overweight, I would feel much more confident and comfortable about it
I know it's childish to say this, but it's as if everyone is pointing at me with an imaginary finger (if you know what I mean)

Any advice? Thanks.

Reactions: Gj816

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I sense s business opportunity.

You know how, a few decades ago, someone began opening gyms for women only? So they could work out without putting themselves on display or being harassed by men?

Well ...

steel33

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't know about others but I can't imagine how hard it is to go to a gym in your situation. I really admire someone that is making the effort. I've never seen anyone making fun of others at the places I've been to.
I'm a member at a YMCA and I've noticed that they now have private showers along with communal showers. Take a look at one if they are in your community. I don' sweat much or not at all even on hard workouts so I almost never use them.

D

deleted1074483

be brave mate, i think the old image of gyms just being for already fit and beautiful people has long progressed on, they are full of people like you and me who just want to get and stay fit.

the PTs there won't judge, the majority of people won't judge and i've found that most of the guys who are fit are very happy to give pointers if asked .

Its really not as bad as you'll imagine in your mind - the biggest issue (in life generally tbf) is the just 'doing it' the walking through that door but do and you won't regret it i'm sure.

good luck bud

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
so, a couple things 1) the trainers you get at a corporate gym are hit and miss in terms of having the knowledge to do the job well, so do your research and ask specific questions of the trainer(s) if you go that route; don't just accept whatever trainer is thrown at you because they are next in the new customer queue. 2) as my trainer told me when I wanted to start competing in bodybuilding (which I did several times): Fitness is 70% diet, 30% gym, so make sure you have a trainer that can seriously go over nutrition with you because that component is equally important. 3) as your balance nd nociception improve it will make other activities easirer for you and the weight loss will also remover more strain from your knees and ankles, 4) and most importantly: stay at it and be patient. No body changes/transformations happen like they do in the January gym ads; the process is on-going and takes months and years, not days and weeks, so don't give up!!!!!

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Used converter from CM to FT / KG to LBS
(Sorry for my English)

Height: 174cm/5ft + 8.50in
Weight: 111kg/244Lbs

Some background:
I have an old injury (broken bone in the knee) and recent injury (twited knee on the broken leg) which happened multiple times over the years.
I limp as I walk and I don't have good balance generally which is noticeable.
For years I've had low self-esteem because of it

It is just recently that I started taking private workout trainer to address these issues and for the purpose of course to lose weight.
I'm noticing an improvemnet with the way I walk and my balance.
Number of workout sessions to date: 12 (twice a week)

The most important aspect of the private workout is the privacy. I'm very conscious and somewhat ashamed working out with people around
because I am more "clumsy" when I do exercises and of course I'm overweight.

Generally I'm very pleased with this personal trainer of mine because he immediately understood that I need to work on my balance,
the way I walk, my back, and strengthening leg muscles and not just jump into weight lifting and standard exercises.

However, the problem I have with him is that he doesn't have a "proper" place to do the workout sessions.
We do it in a room which belongs to the building he lives at, which is just a regular room with some chairs and has no gym equipment, no gym mattress, no AC and most importantly no showers!

I change clothes in the room before and after workout in front of him (which I don't necessarily mind). After each workout I sweat a lot and I need to change back to my closths when I'm all sweaty and sticky. This whole experience is very uncomfortable for me and I'm considering heavily switching to a private trainer at a proper gym with showers at least!
The main issue I have with a standard gym is the privacy which I mentioned above. While the workout session is one-on-one. I still have to do it
while other people are around. I feel out of place. I'm also uncomfortable showering with other people around not at all becuase of the nudity, but becase of my weight.
If I weren't overweight, I would feel much more confident and comfortable about it
I know it's childish to say this, but it's as if everyone is pointing at me with an imaginary finger (if you know what I mean)

Any advice? Thanks.

Nothing at all to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. I'm over weight myself. My problem is the pandemic happened. Getting in there is the hardest part. I generally go to the gym early morning around 4 am. There are fewer people in there at that hour. I've noticed another gym member has been coming in with a personal trainer. So perhaps you could consider going either early mornings or late evenings. Personal trainers that are not employed by the gym would probably be better since you are paying them as opposed to the gym paying them.

I'm trying to get motivated into getting back regularly like I was pre pandemic. I've gained at least 20 lbs since lock down.

Remember that everyone in the gym is in there to better their own self. Like the rest of us you have to start somewhere, and sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Be consistent, dedicated, and willing to try new things. Perhaps your trainer you have now could get in as a guest on your gym membership?

Don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. It takes time. Watching what you eat and dedication. Good luck.

Reactions: deleted1074483

I used to be super skinny and self conscious for that reason so I know the feeling. But the thing is: everyone has been there on some level. No one is as born jacked.

Just focus on you. Everyone there is trying to better themselves. You’re no different. Personally, I think very highly of anyone willing to do what it takes to get healthier. That means overcoming issues on a variety of levels: confidence, nutrition, discipline, pain aversion, etc.

Anyone that makes fun of people of any kind going to the gym is a clown themselves.

lance-ryder

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Do it! Consistency is so much easier for me with a gym membership than without. I know it can be really uncomfortable to feel out of shape around people with different body types but one has any desire to shake others when they’re working out

LaneR

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been going to the gym for years. There are all kinds of people there. I myself started out very out of shape but now I'm fairly fit. I've never seen anyone point or stare or laugh at anyone else. And I can't even imagine what kind of well-adjusted adult would.
There's a short person at my gym who has no problems asking people to help him out because he can't reach certain handles on the machines, and we're happy to help. He exudes confidence and contentment. I think you just need to find a way to overcome your demons.

somethingidk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is weird at first but just push through it, eventually you'll just be focused on yourself and you wont give a damn about anyone else.

Someone lifts more than you? Good for them.
Someone has the body you want? More motivation to work as hard as they do.
Etc etc

People who go regularly dont give a damn about what you're doing, and most would be willing to give you tips and suggest excercises that worked for them.

ChicagoPole

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I understand this situation completely.
A few years ago (2013) I was at 220 pounds (99.8kg) and had no knowledge of what to do when at the gym. The machines and free weights were all foreign to me. I felt very self conscious about myself in this setting.

I hired a private trainer to help me learn what to do and how to ensure that I had the form correct so as not to produce an injury from any of the work. This helped a lot. Still, I mostly used the machines - but look, the machines are good for isolating certain muscles. At the time, my cardio was a ten minute warm up and a heart rate of 160 bpm felt like .... well, not good. With regards to working out in general, I felt much better while at the gym having gained an understanding of how to use the equipment from my trainer.

I slowly worked on my cardio - adding another five minutes when I could - seven minutes when I could. Slowly the weight started coming off, but it took a while for me to feel comfortable in any way.

One thing I noticed about the gym after some time is that no one is really looking at anything other than themselves. There are mirrors at the gym for a reason - everyone wants to see themselves and in part, to monitor their own form (form as in 'am I doing this right?' and form as in 'how do I look?').

Keep in mind - you're at the gym to improve yourself, not impress others.

I kept my work out time to something that I enjoyed - maybe 30 minutes or so. The more I enjoyed them the more I wanted to extend them. I knew that anything I was doing was beneficial over all - and a few extra minutes when I enjoyed the time helped my endurance.

Fast forward to today and I'm in the best shape I've ever been. My cardio time is often 40 minutes, my heart rate can get up to 174 bpm for a bit and it's not bothersome, and my time with the weights is close to 60 minutes per visit. I've lost 5" (12.7cm) in my waist and have great muscle tone.

I'm now working with a new trainer, one hour per week, to learn more and achieve more. I've also incorporated one hour of yoga each week. With previous injuries to bones and sprains, yoga has helped me support these areas, get stronger, and reduce the risk of future injuries.

While I'll win no awards for the best body, these slow progressions over time have led to an entirely new lifestyle. My gym time now is something I look forward to, enjoy throughly, and it makes me the happiest of any activity. I've had a few injuries from 'overdoing it' - lesson learned, and the body recovers.

My abilities at the gym are all private victories. No one knows how much better I've become other than myself. My trainer records my weekly progressions now - he's great and he loves watching me improve. Most importunely is my ability to live a healthier life going forward.

As for being sweat soaked and the showers..... I learned to embrace the sweat. It was for me, the evidence that I'd done my best. When it's warm, I walk home soaked and shower here. On the other hand, the gym has way better water pressure than my apartment - and in time, you'll get more comfortable being naked in a semi-social environment.