Father-in-law's contract killer, kills sons wife.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Sparkle Reid Rai Killing
    Chiman Rai gets life for contract killing of son's wife

By STEVE VISSER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 06/27/08

A Fulton County jury sentenced Chiman Rai to life in prison Friday,the day after he was convicted of ordering a hitman to kill his daughter-in-law.

Prosecutors had sought the death penalty.

Sparkle Rai, then 22, was strangled and stabbed 8 years ago. And while her breath was being choked from her, she reached toward her baby daughter, Analla.

Those are just some of the facts that make the murder so different from the more than 100 killings that Fulton County suffers every year and why Chiman Rai should be sentenced to death, prosecutor Sheila Ross told a Superior Court jury today.

"This particular murder, outrageous, wantonly vile," Ross said. "The brutal murder of this young mother not only justifies but demands the death penalty."

Rai, 68, had Sparkle killed because she married his son a month earlier, and Rai viewed the young woman as unacceptable because she was black, prosecutors have said.

Sparkle Rai was murdered April 26, 2000 in her Union City apartment and the case went unsolved until a break two years ago indicated that her relationship with Rajeeve "Ricky" Rai, now 27, was the motive.

Defense lawyer Don Samuel argued that while Rai may have hired a hit man, he didn't order such a brutal killing. And while there was evidence that Rai, a native of India, believed his son's marriage would cast a stigma on his family in caste-conscious Indian society, Samuel said Rai wasn't a racist and had strong support in the African-American community in Jackson, Miss., where he had run a grocery and other businesses.

"It is not necessary for you to kill Chiman Rai," Samuel told jurors. "This was not a crime motivated by greed and while I know the prosecution disagrees with me, this was not a hate crime.

"He did it out of some perverted belief that it was in the best interest of his son."

Donna Lowry, Sparkle Rai's stepmother, testified and asked jurors to think of Sparkle's child Analla, who is being raised by Lowry and Sparkle's father, Bennet Reid.

"I'm here to speak for someone whose voice will not be heard in this courtroom, she is too young," said Lowry, a reporter for WXIA-TV.

She said the last time she saw Sparkle Rai was with Analla at church on Easter Sunday 2000.

"It is very painful for me to think of what happened to her three days later," Lowry said.

On the day her mother's body was found, Analla never cried as if she was in shock, Lowry said. And then for months, the baby would wake up screaming in the night.

The family has told Analla that her mother is in heaven and have tried to shield the elementary school student from the details of her mother's death, Lowry said.

She noted the Analla is inquisitive but never has asked how her mother died. Lowry dreads the day that changes.

"Someday she will ask and that will be one of the hardest conversations we'll ever have." Lowry said. "Then she'll know she was there when it happened."

My 2 Cents:
    • They should have given him the death penalty.
    • Why did it take 8 years to go to trial? What happend to a quick and speedy trial under the law?
    • It pisses me off, that my tax dollars will be spent to keep this racist bastard alive.
    • We have enough racist that are born here. Why the hell are we importing racists from India?

#1 Principessa, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    geez, i hate lawyers.

anyways, the whole thing is horrendous.

3. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    This story broke my heart. I wouldn't trade my spot here in the US for anything, but it's clear that our lives are sometimes devalued. When a little white girl dies we want the maximum alotted punishment. If the victim is a 42 year old black woman, the defendant could tell the judge it was a hate crime, say it on tape, air the tape on CNN, write a book about how much he hated niggers, burn a cross outside the courtroom the day of his sentencing and an inexperienced public defender could get the "hate crime" aspect dropped.

4. Northland

Gold Member

WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS: Five Suspects Arrested in 2000 Murder Case

It took 4 years before the first tip came in. The murder was planned by Rai, who at the time was living in Jackson Mississippi. He hired locals. At some time after the murder, Rai landed in Kentucky-I would venture to say he was on the run trying to elude the law. Rai was not found and arrested until 2006, and then by being in Kentucky, there was extradition. If anyone could check for me-ah, here it is! Kentucky has certain death penalty applications which may have affected the extradition process if the State of Georgia had declared an intent to seek the death penalty.
    The Kentucky laws on the death penalty: Death Row

So, what we have is an extended process, which did reach an end, albeit far later than one would have liked and not meeting the ending that all may have wanted.

Regarding tax payer dollars and death as opposed to keeping the person alive, a lesser known fact is that in most cases (I stress the word most), a penalty of death is more expensive than keeping the person alive. There are appeals up the wazoo and these are mostly funded by the taxpayer. Even the person who starts out wealthy, soon depletes their monies, which shifts the weight of payment elsewhere. Even if Rai gets a pro bono attorney, the court still must hold a session. This means paying prosecution, jurrors, judge, bailif, court stenographer...all while the client is in a jail cell, getting food and shelter. And keep in mind if there is no pro bono attorney, then the court and the taxpayer, get to play for counsel-and this can go on for several appeals, straight up to the highest court of the State of Georgia and on to the Supreme Court of the U.S. Life sentence, although a bitter end, seems to afford less appeals (I am hoping a legal person can explain this for us). In the end, your tax dollars will keep him alive 20 years while he rots in jail or 20 years while he parades into court rooms appealing his case-hopefully his life sentence will keep him out of the sunlight for the rest of his years-and keep in mind, often times, in the prisons, men who did what Rai did (had a person killed while a child was present) are targeted for 'accidents'.

Regarding the matter of Rai being a racist imported from India, try to remember it took 30 years before he went this entirely whacko. Add to this the alarming tidbit I came across:
    Death Penalty Sought For Former HBCU Professor Charged With Murder
    Apparently the man who would later pay for the killing of a black woman, had at one time taught at a leading and historically black college (Alcorn State University in Jackson Mississippi). He left a few years later to open a grocery store (I am curious about that turn in the road). Beyond that, racists and racism are all over the place and when a person seeks entry to the United States it is not always known that this is what they are-I don't believe that is one of the questions that is normally asked.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

He should have just disowned his son if he was so opposed to the relationship. I hope he spends and eternity in Hell being gutted with a dull knife.

I heard a report that said he was worried that his Daughter-in-law would affect the marriage potential of his other children. He apparently was not worried that he would be known as a killer.

#5 Mem, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    talk about father-in-law from hell

Draft saved Draft deleted