Faux News Wins Again: Majority Of Americans Believe 'Myths' About Health Care Reform

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sargon20, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sargon20

Gold Member

Is this really a surprise? I mean this is the same machine that convinced the world Saddam had WMD's in spite of overwhelming evidence he didn't. And that the war would 'pay for itself'. Shame on the administration for not thinking this wouldn't happen again aka HillaryCare.

Majority Of Americans Believe 'Myths' About Health Care Reform, National Survey Finds
    ScienceDaily (Aug. 26, 2009) — Do Americans believe controversial assertions about health care reform including death panels, threats to Medicare, abortions, illegal immigrants and other claims which the White House administrators have labeled as untrue "myths?"

Findings from a new national survey of Americans by researchers from Indiana University Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research (CHPPR) and the Indiana University Center for Bioethics says that Americans do believe the "myths" about health care reform, confirming that the White House may indeed be losing this battle.

"A surprisingly large proportion of Americans believe what the White House has dubbed 'myths' about health care reform," said CHPPR director Dr. Aaron Carroll. "Ironically, we found that the least believed myths, such as those related to mandatory end-of-life decisions and euthanasia counseling, are those that have gained the most traction in the media and have resulted in change.

The film MONEY-DRIVEN MEDICINE reveals how a profit-hungry "medical-industrial complex" has turned health care into a system where millions are squandered on unnecessary tests, unproven and sometimes unwanted procedures and overpriced prescription drugs.

#1 sargon20, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

Overwhelming evidence, huh? Speaking of myths.

3. Group51

Group51 Member

Albums:
    It is no myth that the evidence that he had weapons of mass destruction was made up. It's also hard to prove a negative when you don't trust the person you are asking. What's true is that UNOMVIC never found the WMD before the war started. All these things are 'doubts' that were left out of the argument for war.

4. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

False. Revisionist claptrap. He had WMDs, and he used them.

"Weapons of Mass Destruction" is a clumsy phrase which includes four entirely different sorts of weapons -

1. Chemical weapons, usually poison gases of one sort or another.
    2. Biological weapons, a loose concept which is usually interpreted to include toxins, virulent poisons which aren't themselves biological but are of biological origin.
    3. Radiological weapons, a.k.a. "dirty bombs" - conventional explosives which would spread radioactive materials.
    4. Nukes - fission and fusion bombs.

We know that Saddam had (1), specifically sulfur mustard gas - WW1-era technology which was sufficient to kill a bunch of Kurds, and supposedly some Iranians during the Iran-Iraq War. The claim of dead Iranians is weak, as it depends on Tehran's say-so, which doesn't carry much weight here in the West. The evidence for the dead Kurds is not in doubt.

That's enough to establish that Saddam did, indeed, have WMDs.

We also know about (4). He had no nukes, but nobody ever said that he did. He did have a program to develop them, but it wasn't very far advanced. That yellowcake ore from Africa that the NY Times (as per Joe Wilson) said that he wasn't trying to get? Well, he got it - 500 tons of African yellowcake were found in Iraq. That stash has since been moved to Canada.

Nukes are old technology - more than 60 years old now, older than cars with tail fins. It would be much easier to set up a factory to make atomic bombs from scratch than it would be to set up a plant to make, say, DVD burners or RAM chips from scratch. All it takes is (i) the desire, (ii) money, and (iii) time. Saddam certainly had (i) and (ii). Not allowing him (iii) is what I think George W. was talking about when he said that he wasn't going to allow the danger to become imminent.

5. rubirosa

rubirosa Active Member

I am enjoying every day watching Fox News and apparently by their RATINGS so are alot more well informed folks. Funny before Obama was elected the "noise" and buzzing about him was at a fever pitch.Now.........It's like watching paint dry!!!! Oh how I love good ole HERD MENTALITY!!

6. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Iraq had our weapon! Donald Rumsfields sold it to them! Then we go to war because they bought them from us.

I hope other dictatorship learn a lesson to not buy American product.

7. AG08

Gold Member

You can't expect rational, critical and intellectual thought from anyone who turns to Fox news as their source of information.

8. sargon20

Gold Member

Oh please. Are we trying to rewrite history? It was clear from the beginning it was nuclear the administration was pushing. From Condi's 'mushroom cloud' comment to Colin Powell's speech pushing the 'aluminum tubes' fear.
    WMD intelligence wrong, says Kay

The former senior US weapons inspector, David Kay, has said intelligence that Iraq possessed stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons was false.

Mr Kay, who resigned last week, told a Senate committee in Washington that failures had become apparent in US intelligence-gathering capability.

Ari Fleischer On WMDs: "We Were Wrong"

In an interview airing on tomorrow's "D.L Hughley Breaks The News," former Bush White House press secretary Ari Fleischer tells the host, "We were wrong,'" regarding Saddam Hussein's alleged WMDs; how he believes President Bush changed after that; and what it takes to be a good White House press secretary.

Bush knew Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction

On Sept. 18, 2002, CIA director George Tenet briefed President Bush in the Oval Office on top-secret intelligence that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, according to two former senior CIA officers. Bush dismissed as worthless this information from the Iraqi foreign minister, a member of Saddam's inner circle, although it turned out to be accurate in every detail.

#8 sargon20, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  9. B_Enough_for_Me

I love that article. Two unnamed, high level CIA operatives who just so happen to say exactly what a leftist magazine wants to hear; and proves the entire war was a farse. Huh. That's like citing Newsmax who is citing a noise from behind their refridgerator.

Salon only paraphrases what Drumheller said in the interview. I can see why Bush dismissed the Sabri info. In the MSNBC article, "Sabri said Iraq had stockpiled weapons and had "poison gas" left over from the first Gulf War." Iraqi diplomat gave U.S. prewar WMD details - Lisa Myers & the NBC News Investigative Unit- msnbc.com Also, Sabri stayed loyal to Saddam until the end.

I enjoyed this quote from the first article: "He denied that US intelligence had been distorted by government pressure in the run-up to last year's US-led war."

As far as Ari Fleischer, 1) this wasn't the position of the administration, 2) after he says "we were wrong" he goes on to cite the list of people who where also wrong. That list included the democrats and some arab nations. Ari also says that Saddam was "bluffing" that Iraq had WMD's and the world fell for it. Ari further states that Bush wasn't a liar. At that point in the interview the host begins giving us a lecture on how Ari is wrong, which he fills with his personal nonsense.

10. B_Enough_for_Me

Let me guess, they have to watch a leftist news source like CNN or the BBC in order to be credible? Go figure.

11. B_Enough_for_Me

Good post.

12. sargon20

Gold Member

Simply clueless.
    David Kay, who resigned last week as the chief U.S. weapons inspector in Iraq, now says he didn't find stockpiles of WMD — or evidence of a nuclear program well under way in Saddam Hussein's Iraq — and he blames it on a greatly flawed intelligence system and analysis.

David Kay: Exclusive interview - Nightly News with Brian Williams- msnbc.com

CIA attacked for 'gross exaggeration' of Saddam's WMD threat in official US report

The point isn't even worth arguing. :sigh:. You must be the stubborn 23% who still supported Bush when he left office.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Not with him anyhow...

14. B_Mister Buildington

I get my news from the Daily Show. I always know the right thing to say. :)

15. B_Enough_for_Me

I cannot believe you just cited the Daily Show at me to prove the war was made up.

16. AG08

Gold Member

I rest my case.

17. sargon20

Gold Member

Comedy was in order here. Clearly you are a comedian.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

A very bad one at that. Carrot Top would be more enjoyable. :wink:

19. 3664shaken

3664shaken New Member

:eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg:

The polling data just before the Iraq before stated the exact opposite. Most of ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, NYT, etc believed that Saddam had WMD's and ALSO was part of 9/11 only Fox News viewers felt Saddam had WMD's but was NOT part of 9/11.

Let's get real for a second Fox News is a very small part of the news organizations out there. The liberal owned news media play a much more pivotal role in our wholesale inculcation of false beliefs.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Depends how you look at it.
    Faux News is quick to boast about their higher ratings than all of the televised "liberal media" news sources. And if you look, there's a correlation between the audience they attract and the ones you see holding up the signs at Town Hall Meetings. Talk radio also is dominated by conservative voices. Rush Limbaugh has an audience of 14 Million people. The majority of liberals get their news from the internet, as reflected by monthly web statistics from sites such as eBiz Media.

Blaming this on the "liberal media" is a cop-out. Because clearly both sides can manage to get their voices heard through different means of communication.

Draft saved Draft deleted