Fav female vocalists

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I tend to like the female vocalists I can't emulate (but would want to), Dione Warwick and Dusty Springfield being the first 2 that spring to mind.

Basically if she can't sing better than me, or in a way I can't, then I'd rather sing the song myself - anyway, on the whole, I prefer listening to men.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tend to like the female vocalists I can't emulate (but would want to), Dione Warwick and Dusty Springfield being the first 2 that spring to mind.

Basically if she can't sing better than me, or in a way I can't, then I'd rather sing the song myself - anyway, on the whole, I prefer listening to men.

*Clears his throat and starts to sing.*

BurningVenus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
She is amazing. THe eerie thing about KD Lang when I first saw and heard her was that she resembled a teenaged Wayne Newton and her voice on "Miss Chatelaine" reminded me of him singing early in his career. He too had that amazingly smooth sound.

Me too. I really thought she was young Wayne Newton when I first saw her. :smile:
Guess a stylist intervened or something. . . .

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes x7.....I agree, though I would add that I can't STAND Streisand. It wouldn't matter what her voice was like. Her personality ruins it.

And love Bonnie Raitt. :smile:
When Streisand first started singing and recording, she had a good voice. When she discovered the "adulation of the public," she became a caricature of herself. I think her art has suffered because of that.

No one (thankfully) has mentioned Charlotte Church. I know people who just gush about how wonderful she is. Yes, she hits all the notes with her delicate little voice, but it's got no character. Like listening to a player piano.

The ones I call "The Banshee Quartet" (Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Amy Grant, and Celine Dione) all have very nice instruments, but play them very badly. They all work so hard at showing us what fine voices they have, the beauty of the voice gets lost. When they sing more trills, mordents, appogiaturas and scales than melody, it loses meaning. My usual analogy is "my piano has 88 keys, but I don't feel compelled to use every single one of them several times in each phrase." It's like using a pound of salt, a pound of pepper, a pound of garlic, and a pound of butter to season an ounce of potato.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When Streisand first started singing and recording, she had a good voice. When she discovered the "adulation of the public," she became a caricature of herself. I think her art has suffered because of that.

No one (thankfully) has mentioned Charlotte Church. I know people who just gush about how wonderful she is. Yes, she hits all the notes with her delicate little voice, but it's got no character. Like listening to a player piano.

The ones I call "The Banshee Quartet" (Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Amy Grant, and Celine Dione) all have very nice instruments, but play them very badly. They all work so hard at showing us what fine voices they have, the beauty of the voice gets lost. When they sing more trills, mordents, appogiaturas and scales than melody, it loses meaning. My usual analogy is "my piano has 88 keys, but I don't feel compelled to use every single one of them several times in each phrase." It's like using a pound of salt, a pound of pepper, a pound of garlic, and a pound of butter to season an ounce of potato.

*Searches the CD bin for Charlotte Church singing "Time to Say Hello"*

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC,

I think Charlotte is an example of a piece of fruit picked before its ripeness. She probably had wonderful potential to be a lyric or even coloratura soprano but I dont think she was handled well. That seems to be a phenom in itself. All of the women you mentioned in your "Banshee Quartet" were also plucked early from the tree.

SO many voices I have not mentioned. How could I forget the woman who I share a birthday with, Bonnie Raitt. That is my girl! I didnt even begin to mention any of the voices who perform within the realms of opera and oratorio...

ArtfulDominant

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Willy, you didn't include Holly Blue in your list....:biggrin1:

DC_Deep ... Are you trying to get me into trouble?
Holly Blue's vocalizations are uniquely extraterrestrial sounds. It would be patently unfair to have my other favourites compete with that!! :eek:

Here's my thoughts on my favourites:

Dinah Washington: I've never heard another singer so aggressively attack a note, yet unneringly do that in a musical way. Her singing turns me on: no matter what she's singing, she oozes sexual confidence.

Keely Smith: Effortlessly sultry and smoky. Her live recordings from her early twenties, with Louis Prima are amazing. A very underrated singer.

Ella Fitzgerald: She could sing the phonebook and hold your interest. I'm not a big fan of her earliest and later recordings. But singers of the great standards will be forever indebted to her for her "Songbook recordings", done at the height of her vocal mastery.

Peggy Lee: She was the antithesis of the "Banshee Quartet"
decried by DC Deep in his post below. She had quite a small voice, but got your rapt attention nonetheless. More than almost any other singer, she really knew what dynamics were all about. I love her definitive version of Fever, but it's her late 1940's recordings with Benny Goodman that I'd take to a desert island.

Jo Stafford: Not really a jazz singer, but with the right material, she could melt your heart with the simple beauty of her voice and the honest emotion she poured out.

Yes, the singers mentioned above are all either dead or considerably older than me. I do listen to newer singers, but none that have come along in the past 25 years move me in the ways that my favourites do. I think it's much more difficult to become a truly entertaining, musical singer today than it was say sixty years ago. The great singers of that era learned at the feet of skilled arrangers and virtuoso instrumental soloists in the topnotch jazz groups and Big Bands. Today's axis of "Over the Top" at one end and the somewhat isolated singer-songwriter at the opposite pole leaves an empty void. I think it's much more difficult to blossom as a great singer in today's totally different environment, and my hat is off to those who are making a valid contribution.

The one "newer" singer that I consistently enjoy is kd laing. She's got a fabulous voice and she's able to dip almost anywhere into the pop/jazz musical canon and not sound overly derivative.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_Deep ... Are you trying to get me into trouble?
Holly Blue's vocalizations are uniquely extraterrestrial sounds. It would be patently unfair to have my other favourites compete with that!!
I seem to recall one of Holly's posts about her singing abilities, that's why I added that!:biggrin1: Please expect a PM from me...
The one "newer" singer that I consistently enjoy is kd laing. She's got a fabulous voice and she's able to dip almost anywhere into the pop/jazz musical canon and not sound overly derivative.
I was going to take you (a Canadian!) to task, until I read your last paragraph. With the exception of the soundtrack to "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues", I have every one of k. d.'s recordings. If you don't have it, you absolutely must get "Hymns of the 49th Parallel."
I don't now what's meant by stylist. I only know what sounds good to me. And of all the women out there performing today, I'd have to vote for Alison Krauss as sounding the best.​
Allison does have an amazing talent. She's not alone in the country genre, though...

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
Just for hottness (New word :cool:) :

Christina Aguilera
Sophie Ellis Bextor
Rhianna
Nelly Furtado
Kylie Minogue
The blonde one from Abba :rolleyes:

On Vocals :
Delta Goodrem (Although she can go in with the hotties as well)
Karen Carpenter
Whitney Houston
Dusty Springfield
Madonna

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just for hottness (New word :cool:) :

Christina Aguilera
Sophie Ellis Bextor
Rhianna
Nelly Furtado
Kylie Minogue
The blonde one from Abba :rolleyes:

On Vocals :
Delta Goodrem (Although she can go in with the hotties as well)
Karen Carpenter
Whitney Houston
Dusty Springfield
Madonna

Her name is Agnetha Fältskog. (DAMN! Scary I knew that. My name is Osiris, and I am a closet ABBA fan.)

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't now what's meant by stylist. I only know what sounds good to me. And of all the women out there performing today, I'd have to vote for Alison Krauss as sounding the best.​
A styleist is someone who adds their personal style to a standard song or their our twist to a new song.
Diana Ross---pop star but love the feeling I get from her voice, maybe nostalgia.
Maddonna---pop star----but has style ,however not a stylist
Christina agulera<sp> is on her way to stylist

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Much of my list consists prior mentions, but I'll add:

Holly Cole
Joss Stone
Natalie Merchant
Sarah Vaughan
Julie London
Jane Monheit

Others who rank high on my (rather long) list of faves:

Eva Cassidy (surprised to see her mentioned so many times)
Diana Krall
Diane Reeves
k.d. Lang
Sade
Sarah McLachlan
Etta James
Annie Lennox
Christina Aguilera

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So hard to choose and so easily influenced by others listed here. But here goes for me, in no real order.

Anita Baker
Annie Lennox
Sade
Carole King
Barbara Cook
Babel Gilberto
Ceu
Bjork
Janis Joplin
Marianne Faithful
Holly Near
Janis Ian