Fav female vocalists

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So hard to choose and so easily influenced by others listed here. But here goes for me, in no real order.

Anita Baker
Annie Lennox
Sade
Carole King
Barbara Cook
Babel Gilberto
Ceu
Bjork
Janis Joplin
Marianne Faithful
Holly Near
Janis Ian
Pink
Martha Washington
Cassandra Wilson

Do you mean Martha Wash?

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What I love about Jill Scott, other than her voice and talent, is the fact that she is proof positive that standards of beauty are too often arbitrary and unfounded.

Here is a women of stunning beauty, impressive talent, and rock star attitude who does not 'technicaly' fit into American standards of beauty. But just look at her! She fricken' rocks! And that smile could bring peace to the middle east.

YouTube - Jill Scott "Gimme"

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What I love about Jill Scott, other than her voice and talent, is the fact that she is proof positive that standards of beauty are too often arbitrary and unfounded.

Here is a women of stunning beauty, impressive talent, and rock star attitude who does not 'technicaly' fit into American standards of beauty. But just look at her! She fricken' rocks! And that smile could bring peace to the middle east.

Wrey,

I couldnt agree with you more! YES YES YES! I love her voice and her 'tude. I also love Angie Stone for some of the same reasons.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Wrey,

I couldnt agree with you more! YES YES YES! I love her voice and her 'tude. I also love Angie Stone for some of the same reasons.

Here is something interesting I notice. Have you stopped to look at the fact that the bigger, beautiful black women all have pretty much gone to the house and club music circuit? Like Angie Stone, Simone Denny, Martha Wash, etc. These are all women who are all beautiful, they just aren't Rhianna sized is all.

Why is it the mainstream wants these teeny little divas? I mean even Martha got used by C&C Music Factory and Blackbox.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here is something interesting I notice. Have you stopped to look at the fact that the bigger, beautiful black women all have pretty much gone to the house and club music circuit? Like Angie Stone, Simone Denny, Martha Wash, etc. These are all women who are all beautiful, they just aren't Rhianna sized is all.

Why is it the mainstream wants these teeny little divas? I mean even Martha got used by C&C Music Factory and Blackbox.

I might catch some flack for what I'm about to type, but isn't that what it's all about?....

I think that the singers you mentioned have gone to the world of house and club music because these are genres of music traditionally embraced by the gay culture. When the gay culture crowns a diva, it's for life! You have to screw up pretty bad to be de-throned (Whitney Houston.)

Gay men don't look at women with the same eyes as str8 men. The beauty that we see in them is deeper, more substancial. When I watch Jill Scott's video I thought to myself, "God I wish knew her! She looks like such a cool person. And that smile..." I think these singers come to the gay world because we are not going to like or dislike them according to fleating and rediculous standards of beauty, but according to their talent.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I might catch some flack for what I'm about to type, but isn't that what it's all about?....

I think that the singers you mentioned have gone to the world of house and club music because these are genres of music traditionally embraced by the gay culture. When the gay culture crowns a diva, it's for life! You have to screw up pretty bad to be de-throned (Whitney Houston.)

Gay men don't look at women with the same eyes as str8 men. The beauty that we see in them is deeper, more substancial. When I watch Jill Scott's video I thought to myself, "God I wish knew her! She looks like such a cool person. And that smile..." I think these singers come to the gay world because we are not going to like or dislike them according to fleating and rediculous standards of beauty, but according to their talent.

There is truth in your words Wrey. However, don't discount us former DJs from back in the day. we love a nice pair of lungs that can belt a song out.

And for the record...

Martha Wash, big, beautiful and talented. Blackbox, tired, no talent and hideous to watch.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is truth in your words Wrey. However, don't discount us former DJs from back in the day. we love a nice pair of lungs that can belt a song out.

And for the record...

Martha Wash, big, beautiful and talented. Blackbox, tired, no talent and hideous to watch.

A question... Was it Blackbox or C&C Music Factory that caught heat for putting a 'hotty chick' in their videos instead of the actual singer, Martha Wash?

Her name is Agnetha Fältskog. (DAMN! Scary I knew that. My name is Osiris, and I am a closet ABBA fan.)

Haha! So am I! It was one of the first clues I had as a kid that I was different from the other boys in some ways. Hmmmm:33:..... maybe not a bad thread topic.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Her favorite music seems to be bluegrass, which is way different than popular country. But I don't think you can limit her magnificent talent to a genre.

It boggles my mind how a kid who started out winning fiddle competitions turned out to have a voice for the ages.

YouTube - Alison Krauss - You Can't Hurry Love

YouTube - AlisonKrauss&MichaelJohnson - Whenever I Call You Friend

YouTube - Sheryl Crow & Alison Krause - Strong Enough - Chicago 2007

What's really amazing is she has won 20 grammys, more than any woman ever (Aretha Franklin is second at 17), and many people have never heard of her. I think it's because she has avoided the trappings of celebrity and fame and instead stayed true to the music.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Her favorite music seems to be bluegrass, which is way different than popular country. But I don't think you can limit her magnificent talent to a genre.

It boggles my mind how a kid who started out winning fiddle competitions turned out to have a voice for the ages.

YouTube - Alison Krauss - You Can't Hurry Love

YouTube - AlisonKrauss&MichaelJohnson - Whenever I Call You Friend

YouTube - Sheryl Crow & Alison Krause - Strong Enough - Chicago 2007

What's really amazing is she has won 20 grammys, more than any woman ever (Aretha Franklin is second at 17), and many people have never heard of her. I think it's because she has avoided the trappings of celebrity and fame and instead stayed true to the music.

She is wonderful. I fell for her magnificent talents from the "Brother, where art thou?" album. I also like her duet with Bonnie Raitt on Bonnie's latest album.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She is wonderful. I fell for her magnificent talents from the "Brother, where art thou?" album. I also like her duet with Bonnie Raitt on Bonnie's latest album.

I love this song of hers from the soundtrack...

Artist: Alison Krauss
Song: Down to the River to Pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O sisters let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O sisters let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

And who shall wear the robe and crown

O brothers let's go down,
Come on brothers let's go down,

O fathers let's go down,
O fathers let's go down,

O mothers let's go down,
Let's go down, don't you want to go down,
Come on mothers let's go down,

O sinners let's go down,
O sinners let's go down,

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media

I went to a Little Feat show way back when and a then unknown Bonnie Raitt was the opener. Before Little Feat began the set they acknowledged her and asked the crowd to give it up for her.

About an hour or so into it their show the late Lowell George sent the band on break and called Bonnie out. The two of them sat on stools and sang together for about a half hour.

It was magic.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love this song of hers from the soundtrack...

Artist: Alison Krauss
Song: Down to the River to Pray

O sisters let's go down,
O sisters let's go down,

O brothers let's go down,
Come on brothers let's go down,

O fathers let's go down,
O fathers let's go down,

O mothers let's go down,
Let's go down, don't you want to go down,
Come on mothers let's go down,

O sinners let's go down,
O sinners let's go down,

YouTube - Down in the River to Pray

YES! Definitely! That and "Go to sleepy lil' baby" I also love Emmy Lou Harris as well. She is also so STUNNING! Bonnie Raitt is another wonder! I want to look that sexy when I am over 60. Rock on Bad Miss Bonnie!
YouTube - Bonnie Raitt ft.Jerry Portnoy-Love Me Like A Man(1977)

YouTube - Sirens - O Brother Where Art Thou=