Favo(u)rite expressions from across the Atlantic

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
dislike the word "arse". ones i do like...

mate - a friend.

bloke - a guy.

bloody - cuss word.

going on holiday - going on vacation
Ditto to all of that. I think "arse" sounds weird and gross. "Bloke" is just precious-sounding to me.:biggrin:

Most of the British expressions that I like and have even actually picked up and used before have come from Ab Fab. I just love saying "Right, I'm off!" whenever I'm getting ready to leave somewhere. Most of the people around me look at me like I really am "off" (American for retarded or slow).

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
fuck me (surprised at something)
friggin hell (surprised)
crumpet/pikelet (type of savoury food)
eccles cake (northern)
wheelie bin
dustbin
rubbish (something that's not good or trash)

I like how some Americans say "already" as in "Enough already" Is it mostly jewish who say that?
I believe that the expletive use of "already" does indeed come from Yiddish, though its use is certainly not confined to Jews.

I didn't know that "Fuck me!" was British, though I confess that I have only heard someone (an American) use it once, and I first encountered it in a novel by Kingsley Amis. I thought it was meant to express consternation at one's having bungled something.

The British use of "rubbish" has its curious side. It's not just a substantive meaning "refuse" ("rubbish" is used in that sense in North America too, though much less frequently than "garbage"), but also a descriptive term meaning something like "no good." E.g., "This camera is rubbish." I have the impression that when it is said of someone in a particular line of work, "He's rubbish" means something like "He's finished" or "He's washed up."

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't know that "Fuck me!" was British,

The British use of "rubbish" has its curious side. It's not just a substantive meaning "refuse" ("rubbish" is used in that sense in North America too, though much less frequently than "garbage"), but also a descriptive term meaning something like "no good." E.g., "This camera is rubbish." I have the impression that when it is said of someone in a particular line of work, "He's rubbish" means something like "He's finished" or "He's washed up."
"He's washed up" would mean he has done the dishes!!! "he's rubbish" just means he is no good or in a line of work: he is no good at what he does.
Fuck me is often used amongst the swearing folk of the UK. It can mean "I want you to fuck me" or "OMG!". Some might say "fuck me with a big stick" if surprised at something although this is less common.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tramp is a homeless person

Cock is also a term of endearment, as is luv. eg 'Alright luv?' 'Alright cock?'

Alright as in '[are you] alright?'

Lad and lass are northern terms for male and female. I don't hear lass much around here though. 'He's not a bad lad' is quite a common phrase.

"Corner shop" is probably what you call a convenience store. They're not always on corners. I think mostly people just say "I'm goin to the shop" though.

"You spanner" is an insult. Similar to tool.

"The missus" is a term guys use for the girlfriends. "Bird" is another word for girlfriend.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
"Corner shop" is probably what you call a convenience store. They're not always on corners. I think mostly people just say "I'm goin to the shop" though.

"The missus" is a term guys use for the girlfriends. "Bird" is another word for girlfriend.

Corner shops are usually very smaller and run independently by asian families rather then companies though, and because of this are sometimes known as "Paki shops".

And I've recently been hearing "Me old tit" meaning someone's mother (And sometimes father) which is quite humurous.

Now I've been thinking about all the terms for being under the influence of drink, so far I've come up with:

Drunk
Pissed
Slashed
Cunted
Wasted
Wankered
Wishwashed
Boshed
Smashed
Under the weather (also means unhappy or sick)
Sloshed
Tipsy
K.Oed
Hammered
Plastered
Shit faced
Wrecked

Also, I made one up for the fun of it, see if you can guess it :biggrin1:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn, Yorkie! That is exactly where I got the phrase that I quoted as an illustration! You must be at least as big a fan of the show if you can actually cite the name of the episode. To explain for the benefit of others reading this: Fawlty, the hotel proprietor, is baffled when an American guest uses the phrase "to bust someone's ass" (surely any Englishman but Basil Fawlty would understand what that meant?): "Everything's bottoms, isn't it?", he says, when he finally catches on. Then, when he faces a rebellion by his guests, he fumes at them: "This is typical . . . absolutely typical of the sort of . . . ARSE that I have to put up with!" (I'm consulting my book of scripts as I write this, so that is verbatim.)

Basil Fawlty is my hero.
I think just about everyone is a Fawlty Towers fan.My parents never understood the appeal of Monty Python but even they liked Fawlty.The 12 shows have been repeated so many times all of them are ingrained in my memory now.
The part you quote is the finale,the "bunch of arse!" moment is about halfway through.That particular video clip doesen't seem to be online at the moment (due to copyright watchdogs) but I found this :

Bunch of Arse!

<A name=node_id_665859>(idea) by [URL="http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=641846"]lioncub (3.2 mon) ([URL="http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=665859&displaytype=printable"]print) ? Sat Jul 22 2000 at 14:01:54[/URL][/URL]

An increasingly popular phrase among young Brits pertaining to something that is either not very good or not very true, ie;
"That new Britney Spears single's a Bunch of Arse."
or
"Bill Clinton says he didn't inhale that spliff, I reckon that's a Bunch of Arse.".
The phrase has been popularised by English lad's magazine 'Loaded' since the mid '90's but originated from a line spoken in the classic '70's sitcom 'Fawlty Towers'.
Throughout the episode in question, Basil Fawtly played by John Cleese is being constantly berated for his inefficiencies by a surly American guest who tells Basil he's going to 'bust his ass' or 'kick his ass' or to 'move his ass'. Basil retorts that, "Everythings bottoms with you, isn't it" before later losing his cool completely and yelling the immortal line' "The whole thing's a BUNCH OF ARSE!!"

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like the way Britons say garage. It isn't like the American way--GAH-RAJ. They pronounce it "garridge".

"Top it off". "Barstard". "Bloody well piss off!" "Wanker!" "Line up in the queue!"

Australian English is fun too. "That bloke is a roight lookah!"

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Merry is another term for pissed (being drunk) although it does mean when you're "feelin' it a bit" and not when you can't walk :tongue:

Also: steaming, steamboats, off his head, out of it

"Suck me off" is what guys say to someone they want to give them a blowjob, dunno if they say that abroad.

"Cheap as chips" means something is...cheap.

"Were you born in a barn?" means shut the door behind you.

"Shit for brains" is another phrase :tongue:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Suck me off" is what guys say to someone they want to give them a blowjob, dunno if they say that abroad.

"Were you born in a barn?" means shut the door behind you.

"Shit for brains" is another phrase :tongue:
All of these phrases are common in the US. "Were you born in a barn?" is probably hundreds of years old. "Shit for brains" is of American origin; at least, the entry at http://www.phrases.org.uk/ dates it to an American novel published in 1960.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sub-topic: the language of underwear

All right, I started this thread, and it's supposed to be about expressions from the other side of the Atlantic from one's own that one does like, not expressions from one's own side that one dislikes, but I can't help entering a complaint about one particular fault in American speech: WHY THE FUCK CAN'T AMERICANS USE THE WORD "UNDERPANTS"? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO USE THE WORD "UNDERWEAR" IN ITS PLACE?

"Underwear" is not a synonym for "underpants": it includes underpants in its application, but does so along with undershirts, brassieres, and so on. Decades ago, British observers of American speech would complain about its prudishness. I thought we were past that, but here we are on a forum where people commonly use every dirty word in their vocabulary, and even here people use "underwear" when they mean "underpants."

Back to the transatlantic theme: I understand that in Great Britain, the word "pants" means "underpants," and "vest" means "undershirt." So if an American describes a man as wearing "a vest and pants," he is describing a man almost fully dressed (missing only a coat), while if a Briton says the same thing, he is describing a man in his underwear. (And by "underwear," I mean, of course, underwear.)

I wonder if Britons are aware that in the US, "knickers" is, or at least used to be, a term for "knickerbocker trousers," for which I believe the British term is "plus-fours," so named for the four inches of fabric that form a fold below the knee at the top of the socks. Recently, I think Americans have become aware that on the other side of the pond it means "panties," as the expression "to get one's knickers in a twist" seems to have entered the currents of American speech alongside "to get one's panties in a bunch."

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"The girl's seen more pricks than a second hand dartboard" :biggrin1:
(Prick is another word for cock)=

I've also heard, for those on the American side ; "She's had more cocks than Davey Crockett's gun."

Bent as a three pound note (there are no three pound notes, or coins)

At the risk of pedantry the saying usually coined is 'bent as a 9 (or often,3) bob note'. There used to be a 10 shilling note (shilling=bob). When used this way it's generally (but not always) a pejorative term for Homosexuals.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sub-topic: the language of underwear

All right, I started this thread, and it's supposed to be about expressions from the other side of the Atlantic from one's own that one does like, not expressions from one's own side that one dislikes, but I can't help entering a complaint about one particular fault in American speech: WHY THE FUCK CAN'T AMERICANS USE THE WORD "UNDERPANTS"? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO USE THE WORD "UNDERWEAR" IN ITS PLACE?

"Underwear" is not a synonym for "underpants": it includes underpants in its application, but does so along with undershirts, brassieres, and so on. Decades ago, British observers of American speech would complain about its prudishness. I thought we were past that, but here we are on a forum where people commonly use every dirty word in their vocabulary, and even here people use "underwear" when they mean "underpants."

A variant I like (though I don't know where it comes from) is undercrackers for underpants. Maybe it's a nod to farting and thus most likely from the British side as we seem to have a predilection for such humour, allegedly.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
fuck me (surprised at something) - also bugger me and I'll be buggered
friggin hell (surprised) - not heard that for ages
crumpet/pikelet (type of savoury food) - Crumpets aren't savoury per se, - they're actually pretty bland on their own - it's the topping that makes them savoury (or sweet)- also crumpet is a euphemism for 'available' women (aka Totty though the two terms have subtly different meanings) neither is used much these days
eccles cake (northern) Yummy though Chorley cakes (IMO) are far nicer

I use lots of Americanisms, or so it appears when I think about it. I don't have a favourite but I use some more than others. I'll list a few later, but right now I'm jiggered and need to get some bo peep.:smile: