Favo(u)rite expressions from across the Atlantic

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've observed this too. It seems silly and prudish, of a piece with the American avoidance of the term "underpants" (#74 above). I think, though, that the source of difficulty is the fact that the word "toilet" is commonly understood to mean the porcelain receptacle for bodily wastes rather than the room housing such an article. So to ask, "Where is the toilet?" (in the US) may be more like asking "Where is the crapper?" than like asking "Where is the loo?" (in GB).

Still, it's ridiculous to be shy of a word that is already a euphemism. "Toilet" properly means "care of the physical person" (as in the outmoded expression "to do one's toilet"—e.g., to comb one's hair, "powder one's nose," etc.) and only by a series of associations can it denote a pot for shitting and pissing into. As for "lavatory," it is just a Latinate word for "washroom," which is a rather dainty way to describe a place of shitting and pissing—but, I suppose, not untruthful, if it also offers basins for washing one's hands.

In the Chicago Area we all say, "Washroom." Actually in my Father's South Side accent, "Where's da washroom?" is common.

And a livingroom is called a "frontroom" because in most Chicago neighborhoods the livingroom is in the front of the house. It's pronounced "fruntchroom" though.:rolleyes:

And you "Trow da ball troo da window." on the South Side...

It's amazing but after not living in the Chicago Area for over 7 years now people here still ask me if I'm from Chicago.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah I do that intentionally, my idea of an American accent is the Beverly Hill Billies mixed with Dolly Parton.
:biggrin1::biggrin1:
Ha! I love the Beverly Hill Billies. Lets go in the Ceement pond! I'm wearing my Sunday go ta meetin clothes! :biggrin1:

But SP I can't imagine Y'all sounding nasty! I prefer: Have a nice day Now!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This one isn't English, but it comes from the other side of the ocean so it's still on topic...and it's something that our language curiously lacks.

The Germans use two distinct (never interchangeable) words to describe knowledge: kennen and wissen.

The first expresses conceptual understanding of an idea, where the second marks familiar experience with something tangible. Sure, we have workable approximations in English, but nothing so usefully unambiguous as the Germans use.

I also love the (usually) British term whilst. It's a very concise term. I was rather surprised when we traveled to London and discovered it's pronounced with a long I rather than a short.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe there haven't been more Brits citing 'Americanisms' we like or dislike because we're much more exposed to American programs than Americans are to English programs. They've been so much a part of our viewing pleasure for over 40 years that we don't think of the terms which are more specific to the USA as strange.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
This one isn't English, but it comes from the other side of the ocean so it's still on topic...and it's something that our language curiously lacks.

The Germans use two distinct (never interchangeable) words to describe knowledge: kennen and wissen.
Similarly connaître and savoir, in French.

However, your examples almost literally do exist in English, although not exactly used as you described. Wissen survives in the root of "wise", and kennen is directly used in the (back on topic) UK phrase "beyond my ken," or range of knowledge.

OK, I'm back to being a flirty blond, with a big ass, now. :tongue:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also love the (usually) British term whilst. It's a very concise term. I was rather surprised when we traveled to London and discovered it's pronounced with a long I rather than a short.

So you thought that it was like "whist" with an L thrown in? That's funny. It's just the word "while" with "st" added on, just as Brits add "st" to "among" and say "amongst," or as Brits and Americans alike add "st" to "unbeknown" and say "unbeknownst": there is no difference in meaning from the shorter word in any of these instances.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK, fancy a stiff one instead?

I'm off for a stiff one now!! Right after I finish my fag!! :biggrin1:

I agree with Spoiled Princess, we are far more used to Americanisms than Americans seem to be of our little quirks.

Infact... I find it difficult to know what you do and don't know/use.... half the things listed here I thought was common between us!! :eek: But obviously not!! Crikey moses!! :eek:

askmenow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
how about- gas is when you fart ...petrol is what runs your car. and a nice bum rather than a nice arse