Favorite/Best Concerts you've been to

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'll second that. I saw them at the Jazfest in New Orleans a few years ago. They brought the place down! :wink:

Other notable mentions go to: Tony Bennet, Boogie Down Productions (the ultimate one DJ/one emcee show), Macy Gray (only for the sexy people), Neil Young, Black Crowes, 808 State, Frankie Beverly & Maze (saw them twice now and it's been amazing each time).

OK... now I've been going down there religiously for the last few years. If you're down there in 2011, you have to let me know!!

You bet. Had to miss it this year though. Bummer.

That is one enviable list. Particularly Jimi and young M.J. I've actually seen Bruce from the nosebleeds. That was still absurdly amazing. I went down for the last couple of songs, and I've never been punched in the face by music like that. It was the most driving, exhilarating music..

Yes. Jimi was my first. M.J. and his brothers polished from start to finish. And seeing Bruce in the (comparably) smaller setting of the M.A. (once a prime venue in N.O.) was like practically sitting "ringside".

What is also enviable is Enid seeing Steve Reich. His music must be a remarkable thing to be in front of/enveloped in.

Also, I should add that I got to see Dave Matthews Band multiple times in his heyday (back in the mid-late 90's when the band was still fresh). If you've never been to a Dave Matthews concert, that's a bummer. I don't know how his band sounds now, but I'm sure it's still worth experiencing to some degree. That's was also pretty much the best live show ever.

I caught the Dave Matthews Band once on (what's the hi-def tv music station with the butterfly??) Maybe next Jazzfest?

_Edu

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Black Eyed Peas with Guetta as a special guest (10/02/10 at the "Estadio Azteca" in México City)... 4h hours of music with a fireworks show at the end & an afert party with the DJ set of will.i.am at a club.

Brensta

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Probably Muse around 5 years ago in Sydney. They really played a set that was so engaging from the audience, and people really responded in kind. Everyone was quiet for the slower songs, and revved up for the louder songs. You could really feel the love in the air that night

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Forgot one in my original post:

I saw The Sword a few weeks ago, and they also put on an amazing show. Very high-energy music, great interaction with the audience, and a really great crowd (except for that one asshole in the pit).

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No question, it was the Eagles on their Hell Freezes Over tour in the Saddledome in Calgary in 1994. Even though Don Henley was a dick onstage it was a great 3 1/2 hours.

JacobsCousin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would say the SARS Concert in Toronto was among the very best I've been to, so many good bands (AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Blue Rodeo, etc.) Also, Aquapalooza (Brad Paisley), Stevie Nicks.

D_Tillie_Twocones

Account Disabled
Media
Lollapalooza in 92 - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and the Chili Peppers. It was the night they burned down the fences at Great Woods.

I've seen U2 8 times, always a good show
Coldplay was fantastic

And I worked at a concert venue for 10 years so I've seen dozens of concerts. 4/5 nights of Eagles Hell Freezes over, too many Jimmy Buffet shows to count, Metallica, Tina Turner, Bon Jovi, and Andrea Bocelli stand out

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Best concerts thusfar:

KISS - 1996 reunion tour, they brought it, pure energy, best show I've ever seen

Bruce Springsteen - 1999, first tour with the E St Band in years, all original members

ZZ Top - 1990 Recycler Tour, Black Crowes opening

Cracker - acoustic set, 2005 - just Lowery/Johnny Hickman... JH had his '78 Les Paul with a little Fender amp, his playing was FLAWLESS - I'm still in awe.

Pantera - 1994, Far Beyond Driven tour.. I think that permanently ruined my hearing

Type O Negative - 2001, Philly Halloween show.. I was making out with a girl dressed up as Poison Ivy, massive toilet paper fight after the show.. my buddy nailed drummer Johnny Kelly in the head with a roll of toilet paper from about 85 feet away. No joke.

Boston - 1995, to see Brad Delp (RIP) sing live, truly a treat... they were so unassuming on stage... they were 7 guys just casually wearing shorts and t-shirts, just walked out on stage and picked up their instruments. I thought they were sound techs... NOPE!! it was the BAND.. they started playing More Than a Feeling and the crowd just went nuts.

John Petrucci/Steve Vai/Joe Satriani G3 Tour - 2001, I was in the 6th row. Vai looked he was about 9 feet tall on stage, still the best playing I've ever seen in person. That man is simply not human.

Dick Dale - North Star Bar, Philly PA, 2007... I was in the very front row - after he played his legendary Misirlou, he walked up to me and stuck the guitar pick to my bald head - he signed my Fender pick guard after the show, very nice guy. I'll never forget that.

Jimmy Buffett, 2006-present... I've gone every year, always an incredibly fun time. Get there early and tailgate in the parking lot for 7, 8 hours.. you'll see some really fucked up shit :)

Zakir Hussein/V. Selvaganesh/L. Shankar - The Painted Bride, Philly, 2000. John McLaughlin's Shakti rhythmic backup (circa 1975-ish) laying down some of the most complex rhythms ever... and having a great time.

D_Tillie_Twocones

Account Disabled
Media
Pantera - 1994, Far Beyond Driven tour.. I think that permanently ruined my hearing

I have never heard anything as loud as Pantera. When I worked at the concert venue a coworker and I went up to listen to them. I was screaming so loud to try to talk I was literally on my toes. I couldn't even hear myself. We stayed for about 3 minutes and left. And I love loud music, but that was just insane.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Don't know which are favs. I guess I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't liked the artists up front. Lessee if I can remember who I've seen:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - City Park Stadium/New Orleans
Yes (twice) - Centroplex/Baton Rouge - Lakefront Arena/New Orleans
Prince (twice) - Saenger/New Orleans - Lakefront Arena/New Orleans
Rush (twice) - Lakefront Arena/New Orleans - The Arena/New Orleans
Tina Turner w/Lionel Richie - The Arena/New Orleans
Jethro Tull - Centroplex/Baton Rouge
Chic w/Osibisa - A Warehouse/New Orleans
A Flock of Seagulls - House of Blues/New Orleans
Morris Day and Time - House of Blues/New Orleans
Chic w/Funkadelics - A Warehouse/New Orleans
Chicago - Municipal Auditorium/New Orleans
Bruce Springstein and the E Street Band - Municipal Auditorium/New Orleans
Andreas Vollenweider - Tulane University/New Orleans
Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 - Centroplex/Baton Rouge
Dr. John - St. Bernard Civic Center/Chalmette
Donna Summer - Theater of Performing Arts/New Orleans
Parliament (twice) - Municipal Auditorium/New Orleans - Centroplex/Baton Rouge
Trans Siberian Orchestra - The Arena/New Orleans
Sting - Lakefront Arena/New Orleans
Men At Work - Riverboat Natches/New Orleans
The Moody Blues (twice) The Saenger/New Orleans - Lakefront Arena/New Orleans
Carlos Santana, Sting, Neil Young, Irma Thomas, The Allman Brothers, James Brown, Dr. John, The Meters, and numerous others - New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

...that's all I can remember right now.

I forgot to mention the Buddy Miles Band (it was either the Municipal Auditorium or Theater of the Performing Arts...can't recall which).

I actually saw Springsteen twice at the M.A., and make that three times now for the Moody Blues, the last, Beau Rivage, Biloxi. Missed the Jazz Fest this year, so I saw NO one.