Favorite websites

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by snoozan, Jan 16, 2007.

1. snoozan

Gold Member

I hope this hasn't already been a thread-- I am terrible at searching.

Since we're all pretty net-savvy around here, I'm sure we all have websites that we love to go to to-- whether entertaining, useful, fun, informative, or a combination of those. So, post your favorite websites and a little blurb about why and what the site is for.

It goes without saying that LPSG.org is first on our lists.

Here are mine, in no particular order. I probably won't remember them all.

Cook's Illustrated-Recipe Resource

Cook's Illustrated is one of the best $4 I spend a month. The recipes are foolproof because they research each recipe thorougly, then give beautifully illustrated instructions on some of the harder techniques in each recipe. Time after time I'm wholly impressed by the consistent quality of each recipe I try-- from simple home cookin' fare to high end cuisine. I'm not a great cook, but with this site, I almost seem like one. Also, they have great equipment and ingredient reviews.

Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Photography Equipment - CALUMET

Most photo people use B&H in New York for online photo gear purchasing, but Calumet is consistently friendlier and more pleasant to deal with, especially if you want help deciding what to buy. They also have their own label of various things photo that are good quality at reasonable prices.

Mpix.com Online Digital Imaging Service - Order digital photo prints online from professional imaging lab

This is an online photo lab that I've been using now for over a year. They are a professional lab with great prices, consistently good quality, and fast turnaround. Shipping is a flat $5 for standard and $10 for overnight. A lot of people use Shutterfly, but you can do everything on Mpix that you can on shutterfly with a lot better quality and without the company's logo on everything.

Urban Legends Reference Pages

Great page that debunks urban legends. I can get sucked in for hours reading.

SuperPages: Yellow Pages & White Pages

It's a phonebook.

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL

For posting or emailing really long URLs in a format that shortens them.

The Smoking Gun

Fun site with legal documents from various news stores.

Crazy Meds! The Good, The Bad & The Funny of Neurological Medications and CrazyBoards (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Just in case you go nuts, a good place for information on psychiatric meds, and a forum.

Dog Breed Information CenterĀ®, DBI

This is a really good site if you're considering adopting a dog, or just like to read about dogs.

Calorie Counter and Diet Tracking, Nutrition Data, Water Consumption - TheDailyPlate.com

Nutrition information on all kinds of foods, inclding restaurants and prepared foods as well as a weight tracking chart and a day-by-day nutrition calendar.

That's all I can think of for now.

2. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
  3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ugh...looks like someone's mommy & daddy forgot to lock the computer after bedtime.

Anyhow, on topic...and in no particular order:

cnn.com

theonion.com

twinturbo.net

slashdot.org

tomshardware.com

alladmin.net

craigslist.org

bastardly.com

puretna.com

isohunt.com

btjunkie.org

4. Onslow

Gold Member

The list is extensive-- I start each day (or afternoon or whenever I get to the computeer at The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia it seems like a good way to get a quick view of things here and there. After that I have a few steady sites which I visit including Tilted Forum Project - Powered by vBulletin and Stiffs (it's not what you might first think) and of course my friends at the silverfox pictures archive -- welcome to the silverfox pictures archive! it's free and lots of properly aged gentlemen of varying sizes there. Many days include stops at Beard Community Gallery and a few Google seearchs with different words or names or subjects typed in. There are otheres too but I like to keep some things private.

5. DGirl

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted