Favourite Accents

Sardonic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I can understand people finding Australian accents twangy, the working class and regional accents are very nasal and grating. I've noticed it after long periods overseas, I come home and think everyone is putting on a terrible bogan (BOGAN.com.au - Definition) accent.

I love some Scottish and Irish accents, although the Glasgow accent is pretty horrid. Welsh is quite nice, and I like South African accents (on men).

I also like the stereotypical Texas/Southern drawl and mountain Canadian accents, but loathe the standard coastal accents, really piercing and dissonant.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Laffin at a thought of ..
being up in a remote Post Office Top of Scotland
Went in to post sommitt there were 3/4 Local ( i geuss) Women
They were of varying ages, elders speaking to a young chick behind the counter
Daily local gossip i geuss
Thought i had landed on a Martian Planet, NO way could i understand a word of what they were saying
could have been rubbishing me, for all i know ha
being Maori & of colour, i geuss i looked ODD amongst them as well ha
Snow White people

Similar accurences in Wales actually ..Then again some were amazed with my Accent,
Youth Hostels many said i spoke clearer/better english, than the British/english
I can see them thinking, colonial indigenous person visits our country he must be well educated??haha
(little did they know i was a country hick person, tribal indigenous nobody?? hahah)
enz

Then there were the Americans passing them selves off as Canadians (Viet Nam to thank fr that)
Aussies & Kiwis had no such hangups, we were Proud to be reps of our countries

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate it when a non-Australian tries to do an Australian accent. It's so grating and it's not even close - it always sounds like a cockney New Zealander. But I must admit I feel the same in reverse. I cringe when I hear an Australian actor doing an American accent on TV or film. It sounds terrible and not even realistic. Simon Denny and Anthony LaPaglia spring to mind (although A La P's Aussie accent isn't very convincing either, lol). And don't get me started on Elle McPherson's REAL accent...

I'm a big fan of Hugh Laurie (I know he's not Australian but bear with me here...) but I can't watch House because his fake accent sounds dreadful.

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wot'
cockney/kiwi Willow, eeeewww' hah
Agree with you actually, mind you as far as the Pakehas ( Maori word for the english, Thats for the Americans? ha) go they all desendents from the english, and a bit of ole Aussie Poms i believe, ha
As well i take every opportunity i get to Make you Aussies Claim & Keep Russell Crowe as yours, now THERE is a bastardized accent.. a Kiwi originally, most of his time in Aussie, he has that fckd up mix of both our countries, PLUS all the accents he has to put on with his different roles, pheeew? ha
enz

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
A Brazilian, especially a male Brazilian, who speaks almost (but not quite) perfect English.
Otherwise, I just love talking with Brazilians because, unlike the folks in Portugal, Brazilians speak with a musical lilt and often it sounds as if they are singing when they are simply talking.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As well i take every opportunity i get to Make you Aussies Claim & Keep Russell Crowe as yours, now THERE is a bastardized accent.. a Kiwi originally, most of his time in Aussie, he has that fckd up mix of both our countries, PLUS all the accents he has to put on with his different roles, pheeew? ha
enz

Thanks for the offer but I don't think anyone wants Rusty anymore. If he starts winning Oscars again, we'll change our mind and get in touch.....as soon as he puts down the phone.

It's all about behaviour - 10 years ago, Australians would quite happily claim Mel Gibson as "one of us", but ever since his drunken anti-semitic rant, we now feel the need to keep reminding people "He's not really Australian, he was born somewhere else."

I'm quite happy to steal Split Enz/Crowded House/Finn Brothers from you, as well as Jenny Morris, Sharon O'Neill and Kim Hart but poor old Rusty will have to go somewhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAkajz7gmo

Last edited:

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Easten block areas, and southern belle (Dolly Parton, etc) type accents normaly do it for me.

As for when I have hit the states, mostaly in Denver CO, all the women are all over me like a dam rash, soon as I open my mouth, and the thing is, my accent is quite regionalised, to the North Derbyshire / South Yorkshire (I'm often asked if I am from Sheffield, as I went to college / uni there for a few years) area, and it's quite a common sounding accent.

I'm confused.com with what the fuss is all about over my accent lol.

Last edited: