Favourite Gay Film

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
99% of gay movies suck, I'm afraid.

Probably the best written, acted and filmed movie about the American gay experience is Angels In America.

I once described it as Shakespeare for our time, but not everyone thought that was something positive.

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm straight, but a film buff. I think "Brokeback Mountain" is just one of the best films ever made, a masterpiece by all means. I still think it should have won the Best Picture Oscar instead of "Crash", which is genius, but not up to that level.

I'll explain myself: outstanding cinematography, best music EVER (Santaolalla, sos genial hermano!), great direction and amazing performances by Michelle Williams, Jake Gyllehaal and of course, the great late Heath Ledger.

Reactions: PerfectPecsPfan

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Was wondering if not already posted what peoples favourite gay film is/was ?.

My 2 faves at the moment are -

Brokeback Mountain.
The Boys in the Band.

Whats yours ?

Some may argue whether BM is really "gay" as such. Hell, even the director and producers had to struggle over how to present BM and they hesitated advertising it as gay. It was the jokesters who labelled it a film about gay cowboys. Anyway, there are BM forums all over the place where that argument will go on forever. I put "Making Love" in that category as well, married men struggling with their sexuality.

Just last night I saw "Shock to the System: A Donald Strachey Mystery" that I thought was pretty good. Chad Allen, a gay man in life, plays the role of a gay PI who has to "infiltrate" a gay "reparative" program in search of clues for a man who hired him just prior to his death. I liked Allen a lot. I did not actually know that he himself is gay until reading some of the reviews after watching.

The main players are not "stereotypical" gay actors who overact to make sure they appear gay (although his partner tends to be just a little) and this is not a sterotypical "coming out" or "gay bashing" film. Don't get me wrong, some of those are good but I just am tired of them. I just don't care for those any more.

Although I loved Philadelphia and Love, Valour, Compassion, Boys in the Band, Birdcage, and even To Wong Foo, it is good to see gay film moving beyond into more of what more people can identify with. People (especially AMPAS) were just not ready for Brokeback, they didn't want to hear about what goes on the down low.

Shock to the System is the 2nd in a series but it was good to see a mystery that "just happened" to have gay. Although the theme did include some anti-gay reparative therapy elements, it was not at all overwhelmed by them The love scenes were natural. It has been described as "Columbo but HOT!" Oh, and there is a shower scene with full frontal male nudity. That is something else that Brokeback (the movie, as opposed to the short story) would not touch. :frown1:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's QUERELLE was a great gay film. No one died of AIDS. It was a sensuous artsy gel. Even the black guy got laid by Brad Davis. And there was a lot of male kissing and simulated assfucking. Another plus, Franco Nero was in it.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
99% of gay movies suck, I'm afraid.

Probably the best written, acted and filmed movie about the American gay experience is Angels In America.

I once described it as Shakespeare for our time, but not everyone thought that was something positive.
Angels In America was a great movie.

There's gay film and there's gay film.

My favorite gay films:

Rebel Without A Cause (1955) Poor Sal Mineo lusts after the hunky James Dean. It's a subplot of course, but it's also one of the most touching. Mineo's love for Dean and Dean's inability to save Mineo from himself just rings so true for any young man who's beginning to realize he's not going to fit into the world he so desperately wants to.

Bride of Frankenstein
(1935) Everyone in this film is gay except Karloff and he's a monster. The director, James Whale, was gay. At the time it was released nobody but nobody could figure out what the hell was going on because Bride of Frankenstein was so completely over the top. The censors didn't catch it, and the few critics who did catch it, kept their mouths shut. Only much later, sadly after Whale's death, was BoF remotely appreciated for what it was: a story of gay love in a time when there was no such thing.

The end of Whale's life was told in, Gods and Monsters (1998), with Ian McKellan and Brendan Frazier looking very hunky. More shocking than seeing Gandalf feel-up mummy buster Rick O'Connell, was how frankly the film dealt with the end-of-life many gay men face. It is a very frank, frequently frightening film about loss of youth (in more ways than one) and dying alone.

I've got to hand it to George Cukor. Everyone in Hollywood knew he was gay but, as is usual in Hollywood, he made so much money for the studios that they kept him on. Cukor has a string of A-list films to his name, but one of his best is 1939's The Women. The cast is amazing: Joan Fontaine, Marjorie Main, Ruth Hussey, Hedda Hopper, Paulette Goddard, and, get this, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, and Norma Shearer. Imagine every top female star being in one movie and you'd get the idea. How did they get such talent? Two names: Luce and Loos. As in Clare Boothe Luce and Anita Loos, the original playwright and screen adapter. They don't write movies like this any more and it's a pity they don't. I've heard there's going to be a remake and let me tell you: it will suck. The only reason The Women was overshadowed was because it was released the same year as Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz. This movie also holds a fascinating record. It's the only feature length film with no males in it. There are no male actors, none. There are no male animals, no photographs or paintings of males, no figurines of males, and no male extras. As you might imagine, this film was not popular with men, but as gay men, we're immune to all that pussy and can just lay back and enjoy the fun. Cukor had to direct this film because, let's face it: only a gay director could have kept the peace on this set.

Here are some outtakes.

My honorable mention goes to the low budget but sensitively done, Latter Days (2003). Steve Sandvoss naked.... mmmmmmmmmmmm. The acting isn't great and the plot is vaguely trite but it's got heart and some very touching moments. Of the purely gay gay films, it's one of the better ones.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Ditto on Rebel, G&M, and Latter Days Jason! I never saw BoF or The Women. Strangely, although I worked at a theater that played GWTW, and only GWTW, repeatedly as the only feature for months on end, I never saw the whole thing! I also have never seen all of WoOZ.

As for Sal Mineo, OMG! I am probably the only man alive who will watch every second of The 10 commandments, whenever it is on just to see that man's chest! I have been soooooooooooo in love with him my entire life!! :redface: