Favourite Movie Director?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have my ideas, but I would love to hear what you thought it was about. What did you figure out?

MULHOLLAND DRIVE was a movie based on that blonde girl's (Naomi Watts' character's) dream. It was very hypnogogic. And David Lynch captured that on film: with special effects and with music.

The character dreamed that she was a really amazing actress...but in real-life...she wasn't. She got dumped by her lesbian girlfriend. (The beginning scenes and sequences were all disjunct and hypnogogic...very dream-like.) But if you didn't know anything going into the movie...you could really get puzzled. I had to watch the movie several times to finally "get" (understand) the movie.

In the dream...she was so overcome. She even postulated about offing her girlfriend by paying a hit man (played by Mark Pellegrino)...and he couldn't even shoot the gun right.

:biggrin1:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oldboy! Awesome.

And I'm surprised Kieslowski's only been mentioned once so far.

Kieslowski's Polish television series The Decalogue has some of the best writing and film work I've ever seen. Masterful screenwriter and director.

Kubrick made a note perfect appraisal in the foreword to a book of screenplays, Kieslowski & Piesiewicz, Decalogue: The Ten Commandments:
I am always reluctant to single out some particular feature of the work of a major filmmaker because it tends inevitably to simplify and reduce the work. But in this book of screenplays by Krzysztof Kieslowski and his co-author, Krzysztof Piesiewicz, it should not be out of place to observe that they have the very rare ability to dramatize their ideas rather than just talking about them. By making their points through the dramatic action of the story they gain the added power of allowing the audience to discover what's really going on rather than being told. They do this with such dazzling skill, you never see the ideas coming and don't realize until much later how profoundly they have reached your heart.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It's good to see we have people here with such awesome taste in films!

All of those directors everyone has named are awesome and the movies are classics.

Except Uwe Boll.

He's just silly.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Woody Allen
Bernardo Bertolucci
Stanley Kubrick
Sergio Leone
Akira Kurosawa
Francis Fords Coppola
Alfred Hitchcock
Brian DePalma
Werner Herzog
Terry Gilliam
Mike Nichols
Robert Altman
John Sayles
Wes Anderson
Paul Thomas Anderson
George Romero
John Carpenter

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Lina Wertmüller and Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Fellini's pretty good too.

QUERELLE is amazing...and SATYRICON was wild.
For a good double feature movie night I can recommend Wertmüller's Seven Beauties followed by Fassbinder's The Marriage of Maria Braun. Brad Davis does a dark, brooding turn in the seamy and erotic Querelle. The beautiful Giancarlo Giannini, Wertmüller's favorite actor, is fantastic in Seven Beauties (as is Shirley Stoler) and raw and virile in the earlier film Swept Away.

Of the many good Fellini offerings, the sweet, poignant and semi-autobiographical Amarcord is my sentimental favorite. I like La Dolce Vita for a taste of his earlier work. Not to be overlooked in many Fellini films, the imaginative, evocative scorings by Nina Rota, who also scored for Visconti, Zeffirelli, and Coppala among others. American audiences will know him for his work on The Godfather.

Speaking of Luchino Visconti, the atmospheric and melancholy Death in Venice is another personal favorite, in which Rota uses the Adagietto movement from Mahler's Fifth Symphony to powerful effect. For anyone who appreciates beautiful cinematography and compelling stories, I recommend all these films. A big screen helps.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I was afraid to watch this movie for maybe three or four years.

yes, so much so that I deliberately didn’t mention it in the bizarre movies thread.

My favorite directors list is comprised of those who produced several movies memorable to me and in styles so inimitable (imo) that I’d recognize their work even if I didn’t know in advance who directed it. I find myself watching their movies over and over again. (Hey, did we have a thread on this already?) They are (in no particular order):

Stanley Kubrick, Sergio Leone, Michael Mann, Oliver Stone, Quentin Tarantino, Roberto Rodriguez, Spike Lee, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Joel Coen