Favourite xmas songs and films

bishybashyboshy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As Christmas is fast approaching what are your favourite songs and films that you enjoy during the festive period:

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues featuring Kirsty Maccoll

It's A Wonderful Life

Reactions: Brisler

Movies? None. Song? Probably Carol of the Bells, but in general I dislike Christmas music. Blame too much work over the years of working at places that play that shit from the time Thanksgiving ends to Christmas, nonstop. Bleh.

Reactions: bishybashyboshy

I completely understand your views on Xmas songs. Most are crap but unfortunately you can't escape them from mid November onwards. But no films? Not even Elf??

REALLY not Elf. And no, no Christmas movie that makes me hyped/that I go to watch. I'm not a grinch, I like Christmas, but most Christmas music and a lot of the movies are just mehhhhhh to me

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm not much of a holiday person, Halloween already passed so I'm pretty much done with my holiday excitement. Having said that, I absolutely love The Carol of the Bells. I can only really enjoy it if it's being played on a serious set of quality speakers or a live performance of a well rehearsed choir.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anything by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. And as for movies it's either National Lampoon Christmas Vacation or Nightmare Before Christmas.

Yeah, I'm sort of non-traditional.

Anything by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. And as for movies it's either National Lampoon Christmas Vacation or Nightmare Before Christmas.

Yeah, I'm sort of non-traditional.

Oooh, point. Nightmare Before Christmas is about the only remotely Christmas related movie that I genuinely enjoy watching, that I can think of :D Good one, Ellie! And Trans Siberian Orchestra in general has decent music.

ucfan

Admired Member
Media
Saint Petersburg (Florida, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well I am a real sucker for Christmas. My favorite Christmas song is 'Christmas Waltz' sung by Karen Carpenter. It brings a tear to my eye, but always tells me it's the holiday season. I'm sure it's as much her lovely voice as the song itself. I also love Johnny Mathis's version of 'Do You Hear What I Hear' and Sandy Patti's 'O Holy Night'.

Christmas movies are a different story. I like 'The Man Who Came to Dinner' with Monty Woolley and Bette Davis, or 'Christmas in Connecticut', also with Bette Davis and Dennis Morgan. 'The Bishop's Wife' with Cary Grant aways cheers me up. I admit that while I was never a fan of 'It's a Wonderful Life' or 'Miracle on 34th Street, I do like 'It Happened on Fifth Avenue' which has all of the sappiness of the previously mentioned movies, but hasn't been shown so much on tv that it irritates as the others tend to - you know, like the way the song 'Feelings' was so overplayed. A Christmas Story is just awful now that TBS runs it for 24 hours each year.

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
Films? I like A Christmas Carol (the 1951 version with Alastair Sim), The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, Charlie Brown Christmas, and my all-time favorite Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. "Bumbles bounce!"

As far as music I enjoy all the classics, stuff from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, and a couple of the newer ones.

The Scrooge's who came in here to bitch and moan can get bent. I wub Christmas. =]

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not much of a Christmas person either, but to deny all music and movies that this greedy holiday has spawned would be a shame.

It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Miracle on 34th Street, Edward Scissorhands, Gremlins, ehm, fucking DIE HARD!

Songs... Fairytale of New York, obviously. If We Make It Through December by Merle Haggard. I'm pretty fond of the Phil Spector's Christmas album. White Nights by Psychic TV. Who doesn't like Merry Shitmas by Gehenna? King Diamond - No Presents for Christmas. Lee Hazlewood - Dirtnap Stories. The Bright Eyes Christmas album is okay. Tiny Tim's Christmas album, of course. I love Tiny Tim.

There's more of course, but this should be enough for now, my favorite Christmas song of all time:

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Movie: The Home Coming. This was a TV movie that became the basis for the Walton's TV series. Also one called the Gathering with Ed Asner playing a man who reunites with his estranged wife and family for one last Christmas as he is dying. It is not sappy at all but a serious drama. Really good. And of course "A Christmas Carol" with Alsitar Sims.

Song....I'll have to give that more thought.