FBI details surge in death threats against lawmakers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_talltpaguy, May 25, 2010.

1. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Interesting little news article... Kinda short on details, but I suppose this sort of news is bound to be, given its nature.

FBI details surge in death threats against lawmakers

Politico.com
    By ERIKA LOVLEY
    5/25/10 4:43 AM EDT

Click here to read full article

#1 B_talltpaguy, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Incredible, i guess there is just a new standard for lunatics, the political debates have decreased in actually information and argumentative content, and grown in populism, empty catchwords and simplifications. my favorite example is death panel.
    No longer the ones with the better arguments wins but the one who makes the most noise, mostly with negative campaigning far away from anything that can be called the truth.
    So since that has become a major part of the mainstream debate, those who used those means before have to go one step further now, and sometimes there is nowhere to go further than crime and insanity.

Now that obviously is not a total serious post, but i do think the general direction is something we can see.

3. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    It's only a few steps from whoever makes the most noise wins to whoever does the most violence rules.

4. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Damn, I STILL didn't get the link posted that I wanted... Here is the 'printer friendly' link, where one can read the whole article on one page not 3, and also not have to deal with a bunch of annoying ads...
    Exclusive: FBI details surge in death threats against lawmakers - POLITICO.com Print View

Another interesting quote from the article...

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    PTSD is society's biggest problems that beggars a solution.

6. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems that, instead of studying both sides of an issue before taking a position, people are swayed by emotion and will read only that with which they already agree. I'm glad that others also recognize the problem.

7. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That always reminds me of the Simpsons episode The Cartridge Family from season 9.
    Homer buys a gun in the store bloodbath & beyond, and there happens following dialog between homer and the salesman.

Homer:
    Now, I believe you have some sort of firearm for me.

CLERK
    (picking up a large wad of paper) Well, let's see here. According to your background check, you've been in a mental institution...

HOMER
    Yeah.

CLERK
    Frequent problems with alcohol...

HOMER
    Oh heh heh, yeah.

CLERK
    You beat up President Bush!

HOMER
    Former President.

The clerk stamps the paper.

HOMER
    "Potentially dangerous"?

CLERK
    Relax, that just limits you to three handguns or less.

Simpsons scripts: The Cartridge Family (5F01) — Simpsons Crazy

But away from the almost funny ridiculous gun laws, not the guns are causing those problems, they just cause death as the consequence.
    I agree that PTSD is a major challenge, and i do believe we need more openness about stress. Being stressed in the modern world is often understood as a sign of failure, someone who can't handle it, can't stand his man. Being over matched by some challenges of live should not be a shame, life can be tough and in certain situations one just needs some help and can not carry the load on his own, but if admitting to need help to many is an admission failure, it will not happen in situations it should.
    It also should be easier for people to get professional help. Because those kind of things often not only affect the individual but his entire family, especially kids who very well pick up on the problems of the parents can have a very tough time dealing with that and sometimes are affected by it for their entire life.

Draft saved Draft deleted